***Survivor: A New Competition (Eighties Singles Rd 1)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the single you like the LEAST

• U2:3 (Out Of Control)

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Another Day

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 11 O'clock Tick Tock

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • A Day Without Me

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I Will Follow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire (aka U2 R.O.K.)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Gloria

• A Celebration

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • New Year's Day

• Two Hearts Beat As One

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Pride (In The Name Of Love)

• The Unforgettable Fire

• With Or Without You

• I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

• Where The Streets Have No Name

• In God's Country

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • One Tree Hill

• Desire

• Angel Of Harlem

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • When Love Comes To Town

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • All I Want Is You

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hello everyone, and welcome to the first round of Singles Survivor. In this competition, we will be voting on U2's commercial single releases, eliminating them one by one to leave a final single remaining as the most popular release. The format shall be as follows:

Heat #1: Eighties Singles - 23 singles. When fifteen are left, the round is over.
Heat #2: Nineties and 2000s Singles - As yet uncertain number of singles, pending the status of Stuck In A Moment and Walk On. When fifteen are left, the round is over.
Finals: The remaining thirty singles will battle it out until only one is left.

A comprehensive list of singles may be found here (click the links to see b-sides): http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/sing1.html
(Please note: the live I Will Follow releases and Wide Awake In America will not be included. This decision is final.)

Please be aware that you are voting on the WHOLE single release, not the individual a-side. In the same way that album survivor involved whole albums with their full complement of tracks competing against each other, singles survivor will involve whole singles with their full complement of tracks competing against each other.

(Following instructions are blatantly stolen from beli's album survivor.)

Heat #1: Eighties Singles - Round One

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the single you like the LEAST on the electronic poll above. Thank you.

This is a ONE day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote off the single you like the least. The single with the most amount of votes is the the least popular for this round. Voting is anonymous. It's not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Next round all the singles are listed again, minus the single that receives the most amount of votes this round. And again please vote for your least favourite single from the selection.

And on we go for many rounds until there's only two singles left. In the last round you vote for your favourite out of the two. The last single standing is the most popular (or the least unpopular depending on how you look at it).

Tie Breaker

In the event of a tie, both or all tied singles will be instantly eliminated from the competition.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Could a mod please edit the poll? I accidentally wrote 'album' rather than 'single'. Thank you!

My vote goes to 40. Odd selection with an unsuitable b-side that appears on an album anyway.

To clarify: if it's on the poll, it was a single somewhere. We're voting on ALL of U2's singles. As this is an international forum, there will be no exclusion of singles purely due to location of release. We all have access to imports and the Internet.

I had to go with '40' as well, as it is useless when you have the album; In God's Country and One Tree Hill are useless as well.

bsp77 said:
I had to go with '40' as well, as it is useless when you have the album; In God's Country and One Tree Hill are useless as well.

:up: In God's Country and then One Tree Hill are the two that will probably next get the boot from me. As much as it pains me to vote for One Tree Hill, we're voting on the whole single, and like you say, it's useless if you have the album.

Hey Axver what are you going to do when you're in Boston?

It seems like this Survivor might last until the end of the tour.:huh:

A day without me.

Don't think much of the song. IWF is available as both a single and on the album, so that's a total throwaway track to me, and don't care about instrumentals either.

Axver said:
Could a mod please edit the poll? I accidentally wrote 'album' rather than 'single'. Thank you!

My vote goes to 40. Odd selection with an unsuitable b-side that appears on an album anyway.

If we're looking at the single release as a whole, and taking into consideration the B-sides, then I think it would help if the B-sides were noted. Most people, including myself, can't remember all of them.

biff said:

If we're looking at the single release as a whole, and taking into consideration the B-sides, then I think it would help if the B-sides were noted. Most people, including myself, can't remember all of them.

I wasn't sure how to go about doing this. Some have only a couple of b-sides and listing them in the poll would be reasonable, but others have a whole number of remixes and I want to retain a clear format on the poll. I also don't want the first post to be too cluttered. Hence why I provided the U2Wanderer.org list.

Any suggestions on what to do? This will only get worse when the nineties hit and there's some singles with horribly long lists of remixes used as b-sides.

that reminds me: what are you going to do for ebttrt? there's a regular single and a single chock full of remixes only. if you're going to list both, i know what'll be the first to go for the 90s singles. :mad:

KhanadaRhodes said:
that reminds me: what are you going to do for ebttrt? there's a regular single and a single chock full of remixes only. if you're going to list both, i know what'll be the first to go for the 90s singles. :mad:

U2Wanderer.org, quite thankfully, only lists one single! I may rule out remix singles as we already know they'll get booted. Saves dragging out the competition. Maybe I should post the nineties/2000s list and we can discuss what shall feature in the competition?

Axver said:
Maybe I should post the nineties/2000s list and we can discuss what shall feature in the competition?
tnhat'll work. :up: that era is so much harder because in the 80s you usually had just a straight ahead a-side (the single) and a b-side (usually something that didn't make the album, sometimes a live song). by the 90s cds were gaining popularity so you could include more than just 2 or 3 songs on a single. thus all the remixes started pouring in.

no worries though, i already know who'll get the boot first off the 90s list. :mad:

I'm thinking, and I actually feel we should retain the remix singles. We're voting on the WHOLE single release, as per what is listed on U2Wanderer.org. Singles may have been printed in multiple format, but we're voting on what constitutes, say, the whole EBTTRT release, which includes both b-sides and remixes. So I would write the following in the voting options (without abbreviations):

- Even Better Than The Real Thing/Salome/Where Did It All Go Wrong?/Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)/ + numerous EBTTRT remixes

How does that sound?

A Day Without Me. The most dated song U2 has ever done, IMO. The ending "la la la" bit just makes me cringe.

ramblin rose said:
Hey Axver what are you going to do when you're in Boston?

It seems like this Survivor might last until the end of the tour.:huh:

Hmm ... 9 rounds here, plus no more than 15 in the 90/00 heat, then another 14, including the final. If I stick with single day polls (I may expand to two or three days for the final few rounds when it's popular singles and hot competition), we'll be done in 38 days. Should be done easily in time for Boston. I hope so, anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom