Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're actually putting the book out on CD? I was going to buy the Audible version and read along with that. Yes I'm weird, I'm a complete sucker for his accent and I admit it. Somehow I think whenever the book gets sloggy (likely often) Bono's voice will make it easier.

i'll be perfectly honest... i've done the same thing (read along in the book to the audio).

I'm only through chapter 3 because, ya know, work - but i'm incredibly impressed by the production that went into this thing.

there are also a LOT of isolated vocals from live performances and original studio tracks in there. there was also at one point a slow strumming guitar in the middle of the Iris section - so my guess is that for the songs that started with live tracks vs. SOS tracks, they still hid some little parts of the redone tracks within the audiobook.

bono went all in for the spoken word grammy on this one.

Food jokes aside, this is really awesome. I’m really enjoying hearing about life before U2 and the early days.

That sounds amazing.

I want to read the book before I listen to the audio so I can enjoy his prose without it being mediated by his voice and the production but it's going to be pretty hard to hold out. The excerpts were great and all the descriptions of it make it sound like a pretty incredible work of art.

Paying for digital files on a physical disc is an odd proposition in 2022. Unless the packaging is special?

Is it that hard to understand that there are a still a lot of people who want physical copies? Especially longtime fans?

reasons to by physical media:

better sound quality
liner notes
art
you don't need to be on your phone or computer to listen to it
you don't have to use data or wifi
most importantly, it can't be deleted

Thank you. The disputed sound quality is the least important element for me anyway.

Food jokes aside

More like a side of fries, amirite??

The latter sure. The former is a shame.

well they did put some remastered video out over COVID - unfortunately it had a time limit.

but i can't believe they went through that work JUST to pull it off of YouTube after a week.

there is that Netflix deal. perhaps that's where these remastered concerts will ultimately live.

Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The iTunes Store has U2 featured at the top today hmm

Attachments

• IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 37
Chapter 8: The bands first meeting with McGuiness at his apartment resulted in Bono asking if he could help himself to a sandwich or two..

I got really excited because Apple Music has a new Surrender Playlist highlighted on U2's page. Nope, just studio versions. :(

how many servings would you like dear?

bono-peace.png

canonical U2 content gets me back on here. hard to believe it's been over 8 years since I first got obsessed with this band.

EDIT: the duality of man. Listening to the clips, these kind of suck. I would barely call these "reimaginings." Honestly don't understand why they would spend any time on these.

Last edited:
After sitting on it for 24 hours including songs we haven’t heard yet:

Most excited about:
- Stories for Boys
- October
- Two Hearts
- 11 O’Clock
- Invisible
- Streets
- Bullet
- WOWY
- One
- Crumbs
- Miracle Drug
- Vertigo
- COBL
- MOS

Least excited about:
- Desire
- GOOYOW
- Still Haven’t Found
- Cedarwood Road
- SBS
- Stuck
- EBW

I’m curious as to what tracks will be on songs of surrender now. If it is 40 songs then they’re either taken a mixture of some/most of the chapter titles and then used a few non chapter titles, or it’s all the chapter titles and the bits in the audiobook of reworked songs that aren’t chapter titles are only for that purpose, to go with the audiobook. There’s always the possibility there could be more than 40 but Bono did specifically mention that number at the back credits of the book.

It would be highly surprising if it isn’t consistent with U2songs intel - that is - the 40 chapter titles, maybe “40” as a secret track, and that the versions are full songs that the clips in the audiobook are cut from.

In the credits Bono mentions audio editing for the audiobook which infers that the clips themselves were shortened, cut, edited together to make sense with the flow.

It would be highly surprising if it isn’t consistent with U2songs intel - that is - the 40 chapter titles, maybe “40” as a secret track, and that the versions are full songs that the clips in the audiobook are cut from.

In the credits Bono mentions audio editing for the audiobook which infers that the clips themselves were shortened, cut, edited together to make sense with the flow.
That doesn’t explain the good length clip of the song in the desire chapter though (don’t want to name the song for those who haven’t got there yet). I guess both that and 40 could be 2 additional tracks. There’s another non chapter title track during chapter 19.

Last edited:

40 has to be on there, though it would be a classic u2 head-scratcher to leave the best song off the album.

Anyone know if the book signings today were announced in advance? I hadn't heard anything about these. Just asking in advance of seeing the show in Toronto on Sunday. Thanks for any insight.

Anyone know if the book signings today were announced in advance? I hadn't heard anything about these. Just asking in advance of seeing the show in Toronto on Sunday. Thanks for any insight.

From my understanding no. Which is a bummer because I'm in Queens and could be in any of those mofos at the drop of a hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom