Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like they save SOA as their farewell album. It looks like they can't decide what direction they have to go and just make a big rockalbum for a final shout out. Thereafter leave the scene with their most worked on album SOA, as their all time best.
Looks good to me, so that their vaults can finally be opened for getting more releases in the future.

It looks like they save SOA as their farewell album. It looks like they can't decide what direction they have to go and just make a big rockalbum for a final shout out. Thereafter leave the scene with their most worked on album SOA, as their all time best.
Looks good to me, so that their vaults can finally be opened for getting more releases in the future.

If they don't want to release Songs of Ass Scent because they want to tour stadiums and it's not a stadium record and all?

Okay. Fine.

So why the hell didn't you release it during COVID when there was no such thing as touring?

They could’ve released music with low stakes so often with digital singles and just gotten it out, taken the temperature of the public interest, or call it a one-off/vault release. But they’re either uninterested in non-promotional music (music that doesn’t sell an album/tour) or not that confident in their backlog of abandoned producer experiments.

If they don't want to release Songs of Ass Scent because they want to tour stadiums and it's not a stadium record and all?

Okay. Fine.

So why the hell didn't you release it during COVID when there was no such thing as touring?

It would've been perfect to release during lockdown, and we know they were actively recording during that period - not just for SoS, but SoA too.

So given they didn't do it, as said above I reckon they're saving it as the final album; that's got to be why they keep mentioning it at each new album release but saying "now's not the time". Also, maybe they do want to tour it - maybe it's much more contemplative and atmospheric than usual, but still stadium friendly to an extent.

Having said that, if it hadn't been for Bono's biography and SoS, I wonder if they might have put it out during lockdown...

I think the band have every intention of touring SOA when they do eventually release it. I think that’s one of the main reasons they make music, to play it live and see what reaction it gets. I don’t think there was ever any intention of releasing SOA before the rock album though. I reckon we’ll get that rock album at the end of next year with the tour in 2024, I think they’ll have a plan and will probably have the album far along enough now that they’ll be able to stick to that plan, even if some of Bono’s words suggest there’s a lot of work to do (‘starting again’) I don’t think that’s the case. When they’ve been in studio they’ve had the focus of SOS which I think was complete quite a while ago, they’ve had SOA which was started a long time ago and they’ve probably just been adding songs to it that don’t fit the next album and then there’s the next album itself which has probably been the main focus as soon as SOS was complete and that again they were likely adding to during the SOS process when ideas came to them.

I think it was Adam on the Rockonteurs podcast who admitted that they find it hard to make a new album if there’s no way to tour it, but now that things are getting back to normal I guess that’s why they are gearing back up again.

As for SOA, it’s anyone”s guess as to when we /if/how will hear that.

That was an excellent interview. He should do press for U2 instead of Bono and Edge. He'd never say they'd make an unreasonable guitar album. What does that even mean? Is Edge gonna borrow some tunings from Sonic Youth? That would actually be pretty cool...

SOA has the potential to be the ultimate overcooked U2 disaster. They've worked on it for so long, and they've worked with a few producers since their sessions with Eno and Lanois. Maybe they've been sending files back and forth with those two and keeping it in-house, but it's more likely that Tedder, Epworth, Danger Mouse, Barlow, Lillywhite and whoever else has also put their hands on it. I wonder if the vocals will be from a mix of sessions between 2008 - 2022 or if the were all redone at once. I hope it's the latter because his NLOTH voice would sit oddly with his SOE voice.

Graham Norton: Taylor and Bono...have you worked together before?

Taylor Swift: No, not yet. We're gonna talk about it later.

I'm sure it would be ridiculed as another opportunistic move to appeal to the youngs, but considering how rabidly her fanbase devours everything she does, Bono could do worse than to get a guest spot on a recording of hers. If they managed to get her singing on one of U2's tracks, that thing will get more streams than anything they've done in 20 years.

No Bono stay away from Taylor Swift please. He will be chasing pop hits again and scrap the guitar album knowing how this band covets that and how much they change their damn minds.

U2 with Taylor Swift would probably actually do what we all thought U2 with Kendrick Lamar would.

If they collaborate on a song half as good as “Exile” I’ll be very happy.

Bingo x2.

Swift's new album is more poppy/electronic than her last two, but there are a good number of more organic, guitar/piano songs on Folklore and Evermore that aren't far from what U2 was doing on SOE. And you never know what she's going to do next musically so she'll be going back to that vein sooner or later.

Of course, they got Lady Gaga to appear on that album and they buried her in the mix so you couldn't even tell she was there. If Swift was featured more prominently along the lines of Lykke Li in The Troubles (or if she featured Bono like The National on her song Coney Island), that could be a crossover hit waiting to happen.

Didn't see this posted. Pretty cool interview. Minus the circle glasses we all despise Bono looks really good

Thanks for posting this, it's a good interview. Rachel Martin has such a beautiful voice too.

Of course no comparison with the time constraints and editing necessary for CBS Sunday Morning, but the Norah O'Donnell interview was a disappointment. All I got from it was wondering who is in the painting on the wall in the room in Bono's house in Ireland where the interview took place. I'm sure it's someone obvious that I should know.

All the reviews I've seen for the book so far have been incredibly positive, regardless of the respective author's existing views about him.

All the reviews I've seen for the book so far have been incredibly positive, regardless of the respective author's existing views about him.

I think it’s a little bit of “wow I didn’t know Bono was this interesting and is a family man and has family issues growing up like the rest of us” and “yes Bono thanks for admitting you’re kind of a twat”.

It's always nice seeing Bono in just a t-shirt instead of the black blazer w/ shirt underneath he's seemingly been wearing for the last 6 years.

Of course, they conveniently cropped the pic above the gut.

Maybe a crop top ?

Bono is an amazing speaker, story teller, and wordsmith. Anytime he’s given a speech i feel he knocks it out of the park.

But i still long for the days when he would say less in his songs.

Both he and edge have an amazing way to incorporate spacing with guitar and vocals.

Tho Edge has disappeared on SOE, i think less lyrics would help bring his playing out more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom