Songs of Ascent V - The Final Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
these are going to be the most agonizing 3 months, aren't they? if the album comes out in June, we most likely won't hear anything official until late March/early April.

these are going to be the most agonizing 3 months, aren't they? if the album comes out in June, we most likely won't hear anything official until late March/early April.

Nope they will not be for me! I've got plenty of other music to tie me over and well with the olympics and all comming to the city I live in soon, I have lots of other things to look forward to in the comming months :)

Nope they will not be for me! I've got plenty of other music to tie me over and well with the olympics and all comming to the city I live in soon, I have lots of other things to look forward to in the comming months :)

that's about the only thing saving me...all the other great music. new Vampire Weekend is great, btw.

The only positive in there is that if I read Edge's quotes correctly, he is suggesting that logistically, to have an album done before the tour resumes, it would have to be finished shortly. He said "early in the new year" due to the lag time needed to prep it - and presumably since the band will have to go back into tour rehearsal mode at least a month ahead of the show.

So, IF an album is going to be done ahead of the tour, it sounds like the band would like to have it finished quite soon (I'm guessing March at the latest.)

The negative is that Edge's quotes also suggest he has resigned himself to it not happening and road-testing new songs before any album.

The only positive in there is that if I read Edge's quotes correctly, he is suggesting that logistically, to have an album done before the tour resumes, it would have to be finished shortly. He said "early in the new year" due to the lag time needed to prep it - and presumably since the band will have to go back into tour rehearsal mode at least a month ahead of the show.

So, IF an album is going to be done ahead of the tour, it sounds like the band would like to have it finished quite soon (I'm guessing March at the latest.)

The negative is that Edge's quotes also suggest he has resigned himself to it not happening and road-testing new songs before any album.

agreed, and to your last part, that's what worried me the most too. i wish they would have just completed the album and not even think of any other scenario.

i predict that we'll see something down the very middle. the band will not complete a full album, but i think the fact that the band really wants to have some new material for the tour will bring us an EP of maybe 3 or 4 songs.

agreed, and to your last part, that's what worried me the most too. i wish they would have just completed the album and not even think of any other scenario.

i predict that we'll see something down the very middle. the band will not complete a full album, but i think the fact that the band really wants to have some new material for the tour will bring us an EP of maybe 3 or 4 songs.

That's what I see happening too, because if they don't finish an album now, once the tour starts, it won't happen for over a year. So they'll want something out.

I like how Edge says they'd like to play new songs before they're released because they've never done that before. Ya, well why don't you release an album after the first cut instead of re-thinking and re-recording, because you've never done that either : )

well I am going to take it as good news that the Edge seems to go along with the "What about the new album, the long rumoured ‘Songs Of Ascent’, which is supposed to be based around more low key material from the Horizon sessions." question, its not like he was like oh we are putting that on hold to write some pop hits - As he seemed to go along with that I think we are probably looking at the SOA idea mixed with a few singles.

On a side note with the amount of recent interviews surfacing u think we would know a little more - U2 sure does know how to say a lot without saying much of anything really - annoying

I want to hear Every Breaking Wave, now, thank you.

I think this "surging anthem" featuring "layers of guitars," "electronically enhanced verses" and "bright synth sounds" can be heard in this clip, posted at u2.com long ago.

the "expansive drop chorus" mentioned in December 08 Q Mag article also makes me think of the mysterious beach clip #5

Mysterious Beach Clip 5 (if we're talking about the ones that included Magnificent, Breathe etc) is an early version of Crazy Tonight. If you listen closely you can hear some of the similarities and the 'its not a hill, its a mountain' part. However much of the song is different.

The downside to figuring this out is that you realize it WAS a much more abstract song (Diorama?), and very different from the poppy version we got, more in the structurally experimental vein. I'd love to hear this version someday.

So maybe end of March we should know if we're getting a new album or a few new songs then?

It'll be here before we know it. Hope we get more blog updates.

Mysterious Beach Clip 5 (if we're talking about the ones that included Magnificent, Breathe etc) is an early version of Crazy Tonight. If you listen closely you can hear some of the similarities and the 'its not a hill, its a mountain' part. However much of the song is different.

The downside to figuring this out is that you realize it WAS a much more abstract song (Diorama?), and very different from the poppy version we got, more in the structurally experimental vein. I'd love to hear this version someday.

We are talking of the same clip.. and I agree that it's seemingly the roots of what became Crazy Tonight, but that "oooh oooh oooh" drop chorus has me wondering.. maybe Crazy Tonight took lyrics from EBW when it was reworked. we know Bono uses the same lyric in different songs when writing. (as in the early version of Vertigo with the Fast Cars lyrics, or the "freedom has a scent" line in Levitate)

whatever, just food for thought..

Nah, sorry reg... it is early CT. Eno also talked about Diorama which was atmospheric, early CT and had a chanting swooping chorus. It is definately it.

Nah, sorry reg... it is early CT. Eno also talked about Diorama which was atmospheric, early CT and had a chanting swooping chorus. It is definately it.

bah..

so, is that clip of larry and his shoes Diorama, EBW, or something else altogether?

bah..

so, is that clip of larry and his shoes Diorama, EBW, or something else altogether?

That "Mexican Mariachi bass" doesn't quite seem like a "With or Without You-style pulser" to me but I don't know, these kind of descriptions can be rather vague I suppose.

Every Breaking Wave - possible first single according to Rolling Stone.
  • Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansice drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knos that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.

I really want to hear this song.

The problem is that a non-album single released now would fail spectacularly and no one would buy an EP... if they want to be even a commercial blip, they need to release an album, even if that album sounds like OS1.

I suspect that U2's plans for SOA will be shaped in the final month or two by what it can add to the tour. I'm certain that at least one single (probably Every Breaking Wave) will be released. The final album or EP may mostly be made up of songs that the band think fit well with the tour or that they are excited about playing live. The band mentioned that they didn't like the reaction that some of the NLOTH songs got from the crowd. So they may be looking for new material to replace those songs with.

The band mentioned that they didn't like the reaction that some of the NLOTH songs got from the crowd. So they may be looking for new material to replace those songs with.

There's a lot of contradictory information coming out from the band at the moment. Previously they've mentioned that they were disappointed that the crowds didn't know a lot of the new songs from NLOTH but now they're saying they're excited about the possiblity of playing brand new songs to see the crowds reaction. :scratch:

I want to hear Every Breaking Wave, now, thank you.

I think this "surging anthem" featuring "layers of guitars," "electronically enhanced verses" and "bright synth sounds" can be heard in this clip, posted at u2.com long ago.

the "expansive drop chorus" mentioned in December 08 Q Mag article also makes me think of the mysterious beach clip #5

i had forgotten about this clip, could be EBW

There's a lot of contradictory information coming out from the band at the moment. Previously they've mentioned that they were disappointed that the crowds didn't know a lot of the new songs from NLOTH but now they're saying they're excited about the possiblity of playing brand new songs to see the crowds reaction. :scratch:

yeah thats why I posted a while back that if they did play new material many people would complain how dead the stadium is.....seems a lot of people care about that.

I'm glad they played Your Blue Room, but it isn't a stadium song, nor is it really a live song to begin with. Probably more of a theater/club type of song, where the atmosphere is better.

I think it had the potential for being a good stadium song as a link-towards another song....

but maybe U2 are having some doubts about SOA because of the reception YBR received live. The fact is they're playing stadiums and they need bigger songs to keep the vibe going. Baffles me as to why they played a song like In a Little While as well. I like the song, but.....

One possibility with Edge saying they'd like to play new songs live first is see what kind of reaction they get before releasing an album like SOA. If the songs take off live, then they probably wouldn't have any problem going forward. If they don't, maybe they just release some "traditional" songs instead and save SOA for another time, or just never.

Who knows what's going on. Like others have said, it's going to be a bit maddening over the next few months.

SOA might become U2's lost album.. forever discussed among diehards, like The Who's Lifehouse, Beach Boys' Smile, and a number of Neil Young albums (Island in the Sun, Chrome Dreams, etc)

Not sure if this has been posted (probably has), its edge talking to Neil Mc in the guardian, this was before Bono's quote when he was at the races:"...we won't really know til the new year what we'll be able to achieve. There's a certain sort of practical window of opportunity to release the record that we are operating within. If the material isn't ready for the early new year we'll probably have to put it on hold."

"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom