Some info/rumours on the new Best Of - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2002, 04:48 PM   #41
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
The album is called "Best of" not "Greatest Hits." When it comes to U2, there are no rules. Always be ready to be suprised.
the only surprise on that first best of was october as hidden track
anyone who likes U2 a bit could have put that one together
I don't think it will be any different this time around

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-12-2002, 05:08 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:09 PM
no ATYCLB included

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=209608

there is the link.
here is the copied text:

7/11/02, 4 p.m. ET) -- U2 will release a second volume of greatest hits on November 12. Titled U2--The Best Of 1990-2000, the album follows the multiplatinum first volume, U2--The Best Of 1980-1990, which came out in 1998.

The new album will draw tracks from the band's four studio albums recorded during the last decade, and will also include songs "Ms. Sarajevo" featuring Luciano Pavarotti and Brian Eno, from the Passengers' Original Soundtracks Vol. 1 album; "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me," recorded for the 1995 Batman Forever film; and two new U2 songs recorded specifically for the album, at least one of which will be released as a single.

As with the U2--Best Of 1980-1990 album, a special edition double-disc version of the album will be available during its first week of release. The special edition will include the hits disc plus a second disc featuring B-sides and rarities from the '90s.

In addition to the new CD, U2 will also be releasing a The Best Of 1990-2000 set on DVD and video, which will mirror the tracks included on the standard album, but will also include some special features, unseen videos, and commentaries from the video directors.

-- Mark Bergman, Montreal

Notice (1990-2000) and also notice Ms. Sarajevo mention.
also, it says the 4 studio albums during the decade.
1991 AB
1993 Zooropa
1995 Passengers (it mentioned Sarajevo did it not?)
1997 Pop

wouldnt you think they would have mentioned one track from ATYCLB and had extended the year to 2001 if it were included?
Most music journalists probably consider Passengers a U2 studio album, after all it was pretty much with Eno as the 5th member.

My money says no ATYCLB tracks. And methinks it's much much much much better off that way.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:41 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Here's my guess, in no particular order.

1. New song
2. New song
3. The Fly
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Even Better Than the Real Thing
6. Lemon
7. Numb
8. Stay
9. HMKMTMKM
10. Miss Sarajevo
11. Staring at the Sun
12. If God Will Send His Angels
13. Discoteque
14. Beautiful Day
15. Elevation
16. Stuck in Moment
17. Walk On
Hidden track: The Ground Beneath Her Feet

This is what I PREDICT will happen. What I WISH would happen is quite different. I would rather save the ATYCLB singles until the next Best Of and instead include Please, Gone, Until the End of the World and...and...hmmmm....I don't know, maybe The First Time or Zooropa or something totally unexpected like that.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:49 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by brimcart
They could record 30 minutes of Bono talking to his toilet and I'd probably buy it.
Well, the second disc is going to contain "rarities." So, we can keep our fingers crossed...
Old 07-13-2002, 02:10 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
Here's my guess, in no particular order.

1. New song
2. New song
3. The Fly
4. Mysterious Ways
6. Lemon
7. Numb
8. Stay
9. HMKMTMKM
10. Miss Sarajevo
11. Staring at the Sun
12. If God Will Send His Angels
13. Discoteque
14. Beautiful Day
15. Elevation
16. Stuck in Moment
17. Walk On
Hidden track: The Ground Beneath Her Feet

This is what I PREDICT will happen. What I WISH would happen is quite different. I would rather save the ATYCLB singles until the next Best Of and instead include Please, Gone, Until the End of the World and...and...hmmmm....I don't know, maybe The First Time or Zooropa or something totally unexpected like that.
There's this one song U2 has... called "One". I have a feeling it just may end up on here...
Old 07-13-2002, 11:31 PM   #46
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by brimcart
It really doesn't matter what they put on the album. They could record 30 minutes of Bono talking to his toilet and I'd probably buy it.
Ali: Make sure you get the tub when you're done.
Bono: Fecking mildew...
Old 07-13-2002, 11:36 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon

There's this one song U2 has... called "One". I have a feeling it just may end up on here...
What the #*@#%! How did I leave out "One"? I could have sworn I had that typed in.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #48
Acrobat

1. Mysterious Ways
2. Staring at The Sun
3. Lemon
4. Discotheque
6. If God Will Send His Angels (single mix)
7. Numb
8. The Fly
9. Please (single mix)
10. *New Track*
11. Until The End of the World
12. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
13. Stay (faraway, so close)
14. Last Night on Earth (single mix)
15. *New Track*
16. One

This is my personal predicted track listing for the Best of 1990-2000. I hope that "last night on Earth" is included but I doubt it will be. I also don't really want "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" to be on the disc.

- The Zoocifer -
Old 07-14-2002, 04:21 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
I have a feeling they're holding back on "Zooropa" because they think it's really European. Hell, they'd never played a song from that album on North American soil until last summer when they threw in "Stay". This was reportedly after Bono was peppered with questions from fans when he was signing autographs about when they were going to put a song from Zooropa in the set. I'm not sure about this, but there was alot of talk from fans in the GA lines and stuff about wanting a song from that album in the set. Since they want the album to do well in the U.S.--big market, etc, etc... they're holding back on it. Oh, well, heck, my favorite U2 album *is* AB and they're not holding back on that.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:45 PM   #50
The Fly

Local Time: 10:09 PM
zooropa is God!!!
Old 07-14-2002, 05:34 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Astroboy
zooropa is God!!!

I won't argue *too* much with that, even though AB is my favorite U2 album. But........egads, two Gods???? Not in my faith tradition.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:40 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So, which is it? 1990-2000? or 1991-2001? Either way, we'd end up with ATYCLB tracks, so will the title even matter?

Here's my tracklist prediction:

(note, the first four have been confirmed)

Miss Sarajevo
New Track #1
New Track #2
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
The Fly
One
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Until The End of the World
Lemon
Discotheque
Staring at the Sun
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Elevation (Tomb Raider Remix)
Stuck In A Moment That You Can't Get Out Of

The 17th track could be Stay, Numb or Please. Not to mention the fact that there'd probably be a hidden 18th track as well........
Old 07-14-2002, 06:12 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Hold it, are there going to be tracks from ATYCLB on it? I didn't think so.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:35 PM   #54
New Yorker

"1990-2000" means "the nineties." ATYCLB is from a completely different period of the band's evolution and wouldn't fit in at all. Don't be so anal over interpreting the name when it's actually more subjective than you think.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:12 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Well, someone *did* mention songs from ATYCLB on the track listing for this "Best of" and I didn't think so..........that's all, I didn't mean to be anal. I'm stressed out due to a massive rip-off today--I got robbed by a bunch of thugs, and I'm still upset.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:15 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, so now the question is whether ATYCLB will be included or not. It is a tough one, and every article i read gives me incomplete info.

So here are the tracklists for either way:

New song
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than the Real Thing
One
Whose Gonna....
Lemon
Stay
HMKMTMKM
Miss Sarajevo
Staring at the Sun
Please
Discoteque
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Stuck in Moment
Walk On
*Maybe a second new song that would take the place of either Whose gonna.... or Please

New song
New song
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than the Real Thing
One
Whose Gonna....
Lemon
Stay
Numb
HMKMTMKM
Miss Sarajevo
Staring at the Sun
If God Will Send His Angels
Discoteque
Please
Ground Beneath Her Feet

Ok, something like that. We shall see. someone must know if ATYCLB will be included or not. Should we offer a reward for anyone who can find out?
Old 07-15-2002, 11:40 AM   #57
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocifer
1. Mysterious Ways
2. Staring at The Sun
3. Lemon
4. Discotheque
6. If God Will Send His Angels (single mix)
7. Numb
8. The Fly
9. Please (single mix)
10. *New Track*
11. Until The End of the World
12. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
13. Stay (faraway, so close)
14. Last Night on Earth (single mix)
15. *New Track*
16. One

This is my personal predicted track listing for the Best of 1990-2000. I hope that "last night on Earth" is included but I doubt it will be. I also don't really want "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" to be on the disc.

- The Zoocifer -
Don't you think it's a lot better record than best of 1980-1990?

I do.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:59 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by cm

I like the ideal of having ATYCLB on this next Best of release. It oozes of confidence in their next record and the remainder of the decade. If the worst happens and they have no more hits (very unlikely) they can always release a Greatest Live Hits 1980-2010.

I would be very interested to know if the Best of 1980-1990 release had any effect on sales of the earlier albums. It appears that Joshua Tree has remained steady at about 2,000/week in the U.S. before and after that release so my guess would be no, or minimal, effect on back catalogue sales.

Curt
For your info, after the release of 1980-1990 (and this is roughly what I remember!) U2's entire back catalogue were back in the top 60 album charts I think, and the more popular albums like The Joshua Tree re-entered quite high but I can't remember the exact positions, so yes, a release of a best of does have a affect on old material! This was in the UK by the way!
Old 07-15-2002, 02:02 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by what a bomb!

For your info, after the release of 1980-1990 (and this is roughly what I remember!) U2's entire back catalogue were back in the top 60 album charts I think, and the more popular albums like The Joshua Tree re-entered quite high but I can't remember the exact positions, so yes, a release of a best of does have a affect on old material! This was in the UK by the way!

And curt also wrote:
I like the ideal of having ATYCLB on this next Best of release. It oozes of confidence in their next record and the remainder of the decade. If the worst happens and they have no more hits (very unlikely) they can always release a Greatest Live Hits 1980-2010.

I would be very interested to know if the Best of 1980-1990 release had any effect on sales of the earlier albums. It appears that Joshua Tree has remained steady at about 2,000/week in the U.S. before and after that release so my guess would be no, or minimal, effect on back catalogue sales.

Curt

My reply is this. A release of a Best of... or any new album by U2 for that matter, will have an initial positive effect on sales of past albums. Why? well because the albums are getting more exposure because people are going to the U2 section to pick up the new album. They see the other albums there and might say, oh i will pick that one up too i guess. Another reason is, stores many times will put a whole bands catalog on sale when they have a big new release, which also bumps up sales initially.

What worries me is this, aside from this initial bump in sales, over the long run, most albums will suffer smaller sales if there is a best of out.

The example was given of the Joshua Tree selling fairly consistently at 2000 copies a week. My problem with that arguement is that it is THE JOSHUA TREE! It is a classic, landmark album, that remains the most popular and well-known U2 album around. I think the power of the Joshua tree defies the major sales decline that other, less popular albums would see.

Just as an example. I like lots of bands, but I am not a HUGE fan like I am of U2 or REM or something like that. So I would definitely buy a greatest hits album of an artist that i really like, over buying 3 or 4 or 5 seperate albums of theirs. The only exception might be if one of their albums was just a MUST have. You know where I am coming from?

I think that Albums like Zooropa and Pop will sell even less after the best of is out for a while. Achtung may also decline a bit, but it is a very popular album as well. ATYCLB would probably also suffer sales declines if it were included in this one.

I know i don't have any real hard facts to back this up, other than if you look at the Pop Catalog charts almost all the albums in the top 40 of that chart are best of/greatest hit albums. This leads me to believe that these types of albums go on to sell much more than the seperate albums by artists.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:14 PM   #60
Banned

if it will be something like this i'll be happy

1. Even Better Then Real Thing
2.Mysterious Ways
3.One
4.Until The end Of The World
5.the Fly
6.Numb
7.The First Time
8.Lemon
9.Stay ( Faraway , So Close ! )
10.Gone
11.Last Night On Earth
12 . Please
13 . Mofo ( live phunk force remix )
14.If God Will Send His Angels
15. Staring At The Sun
16.Miss Sarajevo

on the other cd TGBHF , some remixes and b-sides, outtakes i guess .