SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, really ? U2 releases the lead single as a remix, a collaboration with another artist, and he plays it first

I agree it's a little suspicious.

Though maybe they're doing a really grassroots campaign this time. Announcing a 'big u2 single'publicly would probably immediately turn off 50% of people, a big corporate event (like Apple) even more so.

But... Play a decent tune at clubs and dj gigs, circulate it by word of mouth and in bars etc, that people can enjoy before ever knowing it's 'the next big u2 song' ? Who knows, maybe that will really help it before it's 'officially' released.

I want to say 4:1 because I think he is just going to be there for one song.

Having said that, U2 has such a global footprint I can see them going for the Home Run and playing it. Then directing viewers to download it.

Maybe 3:1

As for the DNA of the song

I hear a Zoo Station intro that quickly morphs into a Get Lucky- EBTTRT hybrid, followed by a universal Beautiful Day resonance.

I can't wait to hear the guitar solo that was probably cut for a dance remix.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past them... But there's no indication of it right now, at least.

I echo the sentiment of others that surely now this is being played/up online now, the release must be imminent?

You're right but I don't think that's what's happening here cause that would mean that U2 is aware they're not cool and need Kygo to break through the clutter. Even worse, awareness that the U2 name alone is enough to turn off the younger audience. I don't think that's their reasoning or they'd stop making music I guess.

Honestly, this is marketing genius from them. I'm sure they feel the way I do, and that is that their music is deserving of a better response from the kids. They may see this as an open door that the album can walk through.

Hmm first impression is that it has to be a remix, well I hope anyway! No doubt it's got a catchy chorus,but needs more balls in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using U2 Interference mobile app

I've done a dodgy matrix, with some quick normalising of bass/clipping reduction. Will upload to Clyp soon

It isn't a monumental improvement, but it is a bit better. I haven't yet listened on decent headphones to tweak it properly.

BTW it is a remix.

It matches the Facebook clip from U2byU2, but doesn't match the other beach clips. The other Clyp I shared is more stripped down, and doesn't have the phased vocal bridge between verses. 100% there is a full band 'U2 only' version.

Thank you, exactly my thoughts. To answer headache's question why I think this was officially allowed: U2 is bigger. If he goes out and plays a new song / remix without permission this is the last big act he gets to collborate. I don't expect him to be so stupid.
Again, the only way I can see this being the lead single (even a different mix) is if it's released very soon. I'll watch the closing ceremony, that's for sure.

You mean like when an early mix of Electrical Storm was played on the radio before the release? Radio One was never allowed to play U2 again!

Kygo isn't small potatoes. He's not going to be black listed cause he leaked a U2 song. That's just silly.

Last edited:
Difficult to be impartial but it's brilliantly catchy. Certainly beats anything Coldplay have produced in their past 3 albums.

I'm trying to avoid hearing any beach clips/stuff like this Kygo thing and it's fucking excruciating

Last 5-10 seconds are the best - guitar riff and edge backing vocals. Pretty happy with this tube

Agree. This is the first time they pull of a dance track. Just look at people's reactions.

If its the first single and I hope it will be, this song could be the best first single since Vertigo. Can't wait to hear the original. Hope the original has a dancey feel to it.

It won't top Vertigo, but it could be their biggest song since Vertigo.

Reading through the lyrics transcribed, I'm pretty impressed. I know a lot of us have been worried about his songwriting, and at least for me, this proves he's still capable of some interesting stuff. SOI didn't do much for me- there was some decent stuff on Cedarwood, EBW, and a few other spots, but the lyrics for the most part didn't strike me.

Last edited:
This serves U2 much better than another "Rock song" played during an Apple Keynote.

In the european market at least. Yes I agree!
If they wan't anoher hit, that's probably the way to go now.

So is the song about Ali? Is it an ode to U2 itself?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

It won't top Vertigo, but it could be their biggest song since Vertigo.

Their biggest song since Vertigo doesn't leave a very high bar to cross. What's the competition? SYCMIOYO?

Regardless, I'll believe that this will be a legitimate hit when I see it. We said that (it would be a hit) about Boots, we said it about Magnificent, we said it about Crazy, we said it about Invisible, we said it about SFS, and it never really pans out. I'm content to think that U2 are in a post-hits era outside of AAA radio.

Their biggest song since Vertigo doesn't leave a very high bar to cross. What's the competition? SYCMIOYO?

Regardless, I'll believe that this will be a legitimate hit when I see it. We said that (it would be a hit) about Boots, we said it about Magnificent, we said it about Crazy, we said it about Invisible, we said it about SFS, and it never really pans out. I'm content to think that U2 are in a post-hits era outside of AAA radio.

Sounds legit. There needs to be another reinvention if they want to connect to the new generation. But their age and style might stand in the way from that. And I don't blame them, I'd actually would appreciate it more if they would settle for a more Rolling Stones approach: keep making music that will please themselves and the fanbase, they have proven themselves more than enough. There is nothing sadder than trying to be hip when in fact you have aged.

Having said that, this remix being played as a first sign of new music might hint towards them trying to achieve what pop couldn't: the marriage of dance and rock thus being their final? reinvention...!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using U2 Interference mobile app

Last 5-10 seconds are the best - guitar riff and edge backing vocals. Pretty happy with this tube

You can hear those backing vocals in the remix chorus too.. Kinda thinking that the bit at the end features more prominently in the album mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom