Remember when U2 were Irish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
Okay, waiting on FullonEdge2's reply already now... :wink:

Hey all, sorry if I was a bit too convincing with that joke. :tongue:

For the record, I do believe everyone here knows U2 is an Irish band.

FullonEdge2 said:
For the record, I do believe everyone here knows U2 is an Irish band.

Zootlesque doesn't know what "Irish" means. :sad:

Axver said:

Zootlesque doesn't know what "Irish" means. :sad:

But wait, I can sympathize with Zootlesque. What does Irish mean if Ireland is merely a mythical creation of the Illuminati?:hmm:

FullonEdge2 said:

But wait, I can sympathize with Zootlesque. What does Irish mean if Ireland is merely a mythical creation of the Illuminati?:hmm:

"Irish" is the state in which someone has been rendered mythical by the Illuminati. Like if you're erased in Orwell's 1984. If you're Irish, you cease to be a part of history.

FullonEdge2 said:
LOL I can't believe you all! Check any history of U2 and it will tell you that U2 were formed in Dublin, IRELAND. Thus, they are an Irish band. I can't believe you consider yourselves real fans. Does the Mt. Temple school ring any bells??? That school just so happens to be in DUBLIN. They may not act like they're Irish all the time, but U2 is in fact an IRISH band. I had to convince my parents that they were Irish too, but I thought interferencers would be a more knowledgeable bunch. I thought wrong.:huh:

Man, we are all poking fun of U2... I didn't think you'd take us seriously...:shrug:

CKONE said:

On a serious note they are surely an anglo irish band with 50% being Irish and 50% being English. Not that it matters of course because they are just fucking brilliant!

actully if i'm allowed to nitpick (can't help myself, sorry) Edge is Welsh, not English.

Loved FullonEdge2's reply though - thanks for the giggle

digsy said:

actully if i'm allowed to nitpick (can't help myself, sorry) Edge is Welsh, not English.

Actually, he's not. His parents are Welsh, but Edge himself was born in Barking, England.

He's Welsh-Irish, with dual citizenship, British and Irish. (NOT the same thing, for those of you who've never heard of Ireland in bondage.)

And he's American by marriage. A true global collaboration!

And speaking of global collaboration: I never actually think of U2 as an Irish band. I think of them as a band. It's not like they're the Chieftans, after all.

Axver said:

Actually, he's not. His parents are Welsh, but Edge himself was born in Barking, England.

oops, i take it all back then, i really did think he was welsh :reject:

Bono said it..." we're an irish band, we come from Dublin City, Ireland. Like all cities it has its good and it has its bad... this is the song Bad."
There we have the conclusive proof.
The discussion endeth here!
Although I tend to see the black Bono african/american argument as more convincing! And I still need convincing that they are not actually Simple Minds!:laugh:

to be serious in an oh so serious thread, i wouldn't mind if they got a little more irish on the new album... they haven't put out a song that sounds irish since tomorrow (unless ya wanna count the soundtrack version of the hands that built america) and haven't put out a song that's about ireland since please.

so a bit of an irish folk sound on a song or two certainly wouldn't hurt.

get it done, rubin.

now a full album of irish folk songs, ala what springsteen did with the seeger sessions, that would be :drool:

but yea.. that'll never happen.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
to be serious in an oh so serious thread, i wouldn't mind if they got a little more irish on the new album... they haven't put out a song that sounds irish since tomorrow (unless ya wanna count the soundtrack version of the hands that built america) and haven't put out a song that's about ireland since please.

get it done, rubin.

now a full album of irish folk songs, ala what springsteen did with the seeger sessions, that would be :drool:

I love you. :heart:

:D

Please, no Irish folk songs from U2. We already have a flooded market, with Celtic Women, those Irish tenors, the Corrs doing Irish songs, let alone those Riverdance people. I would rather they just stick to rock and roll.

what headache said :love:

and I don't think of Celtic Women, Irish Tenors or the Corrs as being the same type of music at all. I don't think there is risk of them doing anything like that :sick:

silvrlvr said:
Please, no Irish folk songs from U2. We already have a flooded market, with Celtic Women, those Irish tenors, the Corrs doing Irish songs, let alone those Riverdance people. I would rather they just stick to rock and roll.

Well ... yeah, but if U2 went that route, it would be GOOD. :wink:

Seriously, though, they don't have to go the full-blown Irish jig route. An Irish influence would be just dandy.

Hibbyface said:
Bono said it..." we're an irish band, we come from Dublin City, Ireland. Like all cities it has its good and it has its bad... this is the song Bad."
There we have the conclusive proof.
The discussion endeth here!
Although I tend to see the black Bono african/american argument as more convincing! And I still need convincing that they are not actually Simple Minds!:laugh:

Pfft. You really believe Bono about this (or anything for that matter)? :tsk: I'm a much more accurate source when it comes to these things. :flirt:

Or they could write their own...with very stereotypical song titles.

1. Kneel On The Soul Of The Bartender
2. Drunk As F***
3. Pot of Blarney (A Song To Describe My Honesty, Or Lack Thereof)
4. Green Isle (Save Africa, Dammit! :madspit: <---with emoticon)

Anyone want to finish these up for me? Another 7-8 titles would be nice... :uhoh:

LemonMelon said:

2. Drunk As F***

Anyone want to finish these up for me? Another 7-8 titles would be nice... :uhoh:

:applaud:

:hmm: more titles...

5. Thank you for giving us a great life?

LemonMelon said:

2. Drunk As F***

"thank you for the potatoes"

"my beanie, my guinness & me" (sung by edge)

"drunk? who you calling drunk, you limmy bastard?"

"these irish lips are for blagging"- duet with nancy sinatra(is still alive?)

"F.O.A.D" - a rare solo piece, written, sung & performed (with great feeling!) by Mr. Lardence Mullen Jr. himself

:lol:

get it done, rubin.

Know The Horslips? I would love U2 to do something like that, it would be brilliant:drool:

Back
Top Bottom