Reactions from non-fans? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Reactions from non-fans?

has anyone played the album for non-fans yet to see what they say?

all i can offer is that there's some interesting but largely moronic discussion going on at the atease boards (radiohead fansite) most of the people there are complete assholes, but there's also some who are actually *legitimately* less pleased with it than most of us.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 01:29 PM
This reminds me of why I left ateaseweb ages ago. That one guy who says he knows the album will suck even though he hasn't heard it sadly symbolizes what seems to be the majority of Radiohead fans, elitist assholes. I like Radiohead but most of their fans seem this way.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
War Child

I've had the same unfortunately. I love Radiohead but they tend to attract a certain sort of fan who can't see past their music to listen to anything else subjectively.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:30 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:29 AM
The band they all worship admire and respect U2, tis a shame they can't as well.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:43 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I dont really care what they have to say. Funny thing is that Radiohead has sold a real image to their fanbase of being some sort of rebels when really all they are doing is what many bands have done in the past as far as an image goes, most notibly pink floyd.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:11 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Radiohead pretty much uses U2's 1980's blueprint on how to be a serious band in a corporate mainstream rock world while keeping your artistic image.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:20 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by david
Radiohead pretty much uses U2's 1980's blueprint on how to be a serious band in a corporate mainstream rock world while keeping your artistic image.
Totally agree, look at the transition that Radiohead went through, it's the footprint of U2's career. Going from rock roots into electronica influences and innovation. Radiohead are in a very innovative place, somewhere U2 were under 10 years ago.

So I can't imagine Radiohead fans liking the new record due to it's lack of innovation. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful record. But there's nothing there for Radiohead fans to get excited about. To each their own I say, you can't expect everyone to like it.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:29 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

It would do the uninformed Radiohead fan some good to listen to Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and even the passengers album and then go read some Radiohead articles where the band members actually cite U2 as inspiration.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

i friggin hate radiohead, but this is supposed to be a thread about non-fans, not radiohead fans... soooo...

i was playing it in my car with a "non-fan" and he started tappin' along to All Because of You... seemed to be his favorite.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think I may have to get some non-fans to listen for study purposes... I tried pimping some songs to my friend who I thought wasn't a fan, but it turns out she was all along.. who knew?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
My brother (a non u2 fan but knows most of the words to nearly all their songs because his room is next to mine and apparently he has learnt them all because he's heard them so much): Is that that new U2 album? Not bad.

My Dad (a sort of fan - he likes AB and JT): "Helloooo hellooo, here, Laura, hello helloooo, HOLA!!!!"

My sister: Dad, shut up!

Dad: That new stuff is catchy I have to admit. It's probably because I'm being fed a diet of new u2 because of your sister though.

So, I think my non-u2 family kind of like the new stuff.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #12
Gunslinger

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Well, since I am at work and my employees (2 in our office) are being subjected to the album BLASTING out of my room. City of Blinding Lights is when they both decided to come on in and check it out. They thought it was new U2 and then knew it was when COBL came on. They loved it. I think I'll buy them both a copy.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #13
War Child

my mom liked a man and a woman alot
Old 11-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cutters10C
This reminds me of why I left ateaseweb ages ago. That one guy who says he knows the album will suck even though he hasn't heard it sadly symbolizes what seems to be the majority of Radiohead fans, elitist assholes. I like Radiohead but most of their fans seem this way.
That can't be a coincidence. One of my best friends is a Radiohead nut, and he thought the album was boring.

However, another one thought it was amazing and she asked what the other albums were and if she could lend them. I might have helped her become a fan
Old 11-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I have a friend who is a radiohead fan and he thinks u2 are "crap" because he hates that "with or without you song and that beautiful day song where they are at the airport"

apparently he didn't know u2 released other albums between atyclb and jt.

really.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:30 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:29 AM
That's funny you read them that way. Discounting the juvenile assholes there that are gonna say it sucks without even hearing it, I thought it was surprisingly well received by those who did take the time to hear it, especially since most of them slagged off Vertigo!

I looked at murmurs.com (REM) and greasylake.org (Springsteen), most people there are waiting til it comes out legitimately to listen to it.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #17
Babyface

The best thing with RadioHead fans is to log onto a fan site with a name which sounds American Provincial(BigTomAndTheMontanans) and post messages like

"Woozza!! That Creep is a Great Song!!"

Only admit to knowing Creep, though. That will turn the palid pin headed cobble-stone-dawdling elitist creeps against you, even as you praise their band for their most popular song.

It's a sore point with the fans, Radiohead having such American airplay back in the day. I think it drove Thom Yorke slightly mad.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #18
The Fly

I've made 4 copies for 4 friends and they all got fascinated about the album, they love "Vertigo" (of course, the single hehe) and "All because of you".

www.todoU2.tk
Old 11-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

as an avid poster there, it's probably my duty to remind you that detuned radio is not who you think he is. don't get too worked up about it.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #20
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

my housemate thinks vertigo is a shitty song and hates the yaeh yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah at the end. hasn't heard the rest. he's not a huge u2 fan but he does appreciate many of their more poopoolar songs