POP hurt by teen pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonofire

Acrobat
I was just thinking about this, in 1997, BSB, the Spice Girls and Hanson were HUGE. This set the stage for the music scene, so do you think this hurt the success of U2 and Pop at that time? I think maybe it did hurt some.

Whenever U2 has released an album there's been crap music. I wouldn't say the crap music of 1997 was any crappier than the crap music of 1987. Bottome line is that U2's accessability has varied throughout their career.

yeah, there's always been bad music.

i'm not sure if the mainstream has ever had it so bad right now.

i mean, a few years ago at least people KNEW it was garbage (old bsb + nsync, etc.), but now people are actually giving in...

they hear a song by a band like train and they think "hey right on, this is pretty cool".

that to me is far more dangerous.

Other music in the mainstream was not the reason why Pop didn't sell well. As others have said, there's always crap out there! Back then, it was the Spice Girls, Aqua and the countless boybands like Code Red and Westlife. Now there's nu-metal bands like Linkin Park and System Of A Down. What's the difference?

Bonofire said:
I was just thinking about this, in 1997, BSB, the Spice Girls and Hanson were HUGE. This set the stage for the music scene, so do you think this hurt the success of U2 and Pop at that time? I think maybe it did hurt some.

if that were the case, then shouldn't that be somewhat true for a lot of other bands around that time? if i remember correctly, radiohead released 'OK Computer' back in 1997 and i think they did very well, at least critically (and probably commercially too). i don't think they were "hurt" by the "overwhelming" presence of pop groups.

as for U2's Pop not being as "successful", it could be a combination of factors...i dunno.

In 1987--Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, not to mention all the craptacular hair bands, were popular, and that didn't hurt the Joshua Tree.

I think it didn't sell because people didn't get it/ didn't like it.

It happens.

Back
Top Bottom