"People are fed up with us and so are we"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:

Television. Go listen to Marquee Moon. And as Gibson Girl already said, Echo and the Bunnymen. Back in the early 80s (possibly before your time, I don't know how old you are) they were considered inferior to the Bunnymen.

Bunnymen, Television and Marquee Moon are very good examples, but they don't have not even half the worldwide projection that U2 does (even that U2 did at the time).

kingofsorrow said:

disagree all you want. there is nothing unique/new/never been done about u2 and the same goes for coldplay.
and there are plenty bands out there that imitate the the egde's ringing/chiming guitar sound( gin blossoms, coldplay, radioshack, and a whole bunch of alternative bands, as well as bono's incessant religious/saintly/love-save the world pandering( scott stapp, eddie vedder,).

U2's not only made of christian/religious themes and ringing guitars. As a U2 fan, you should know better that U2 does not end itself in the characteristics you mentioned.

Aygo said:

Bunnymen, Television and Marquee Moon are very good examples, but they don't have not even half the worldwide projection that U2 does (even that U2 did at the time).

Does every new band have to come up with a new sound, business model, and set of brilliant producers (who, might I add, have already worked with other artists which they are renown for)? Because if this is true, we'll only see about 30 bands, worldwide, at a time. And 30 years from now music will stop, because everything that can be done will have been done. Coldplay is not U2. Coldplay doesn't sound like U2.

Should Rolling Stones fans crucify Aerosmith?

Aygo said:

U2's not only made of christian/religious themes and ringing guitars. As a U2 fan, you should know better that U2 does not end itself in the characteristics you mentioned.

When's the last time Coldplay wrote a rebel song?

Aygo said:

You're telling me that in 1981 U2 were more famous than the Bunnymen????? :lol:

Listen to Rush of Blood or Parachutes... other than a few similarities like Clocks or the falsetto on Scientist, they sound nothing like U2! They have a completely different mellower piano sound!

I think a lot of the hue and cry stemmed from this...

ColdPlaySOS2.jpg

speed-of-sound.jpg

sq-chris-speed-sound-cap.jpg

coldplay1low.jpg

coldplay6low.jpg

... I guess the most blatant of their nods to U2. :lol: But other that video... :shrug:

I think that, if nothing else, this thread has served to expose the closet Coldplay fans among us. ;)

But, seriously, even though it isn't a HUGE deal, it is really annoying to see this copying (or "inspiration," if you must) going on. At least U2 cite their sources.

Coldplay defiinitely sound like U2. Not every song. In fact, I wouldn't have even thought of the falsetto on The Scientist as sounding like U2. but come on...Buckland's ringing guitar sound is clearly similar to Edge's. The rhythm section is pretty basic, like U2's. and yes, sometimes Martin sounds like Bono, though if anyone I think he sounds more like Thom Yorke, and ultimately pulls off his own voice. Does Trouble sound like U2? No, not really. But White Shadows? Clocks? In My Place? Talk? Speed of Sound? there are certainly songs that come off sounding like U2. doesn't mean they're copying, but the similarity is there.

I think the accusations come with this COMBINED with stuff like the Speed of Sound video, Martin saying Bono-esque things, posturing like Bono, and the fact that they're pretty open about their love of U2... for example, Eno producing their album. the only reason this raises any eyebrows is because Coldplay is already associated with sounding like U2. If some other modern band produced with Eno, people wouldn't assume they were trying to sound like U2. or the lifting of the banks and cathedrals line - again, if some other band did it, people probably wouldn't even notice (though around here, who knows).

anyway, I think Coldplay ultimately have their own sound, and not every step they make is trying to be like U2. but there is a definite influence and in some cases what seems like blatant copying. Maybe not though, maybe it's just a coincidence. Either way I still like Coldplay, I ain't hatin'. just saying, I think some of these points are legit. although really, what does it matter? If they sound like U2, well good, then I can listen to more music that sounds kinda like the band I love

AtomicBono said:
although really, what does it matter? If they sound like U2, well good, then I can listen to more music that sounds kinda like the band I love

:lol: Great point!

I think I just get so angry by all this because I want another band to make it as big as U2; just one that does it their own way. I love uniqueness and Coldplay loses points in that area for me.

Yes, you did get me with that rooftop playing thing...but I believe U2 has a way of respecting the artists who did it before them by taking on the task of putting their own twist on things; almost like paying tribute to those who came before them.

I simply get the vibe that Coldplay doesn't do the things U2 does in a very "honorable" fashion.

Oh well, I think I'm starting to waste too much time giving this thought. I'm actually pretty confident Coldplay will never be as big as U2 as long as they keep following in their shadow; so, I should probably stop worrying so much. I'll try to remain calm until that music video of Coldplay in Drag surfaces.

Rachel D. said:

But, seriously, even though it isn't a HUGE deal, it is really annoying to see this copying (or "inspiration," if you must) going on. At least U2 cite their sources.

That's highly reminiscent of a post I read from 2006. :wink:

Chris Martin's borrowing from Bono, is no more or no less than Bono's finding inspiration in Ian McCulloch (who, in turn probably had a great affinity for Jim Morrison.)

As far as U2 listing their sources, they sometimes do, but other times they don't. For example, there was an Irish television show on just last year that dealt with that very topic: Inspirations for major musicians. In the show that featured U2 as sit-down guests, Bono and Edge showed the album covers of bands that most made an impact on them. Echo and the Bunnymen were strangely absent, and Bono later went on at great length to discuss how 'original' Edge's playing is.

Other times, they have mentioned ETB as an inspiration...but, it goes to show how even the artist can forget their sources at times. And that's a massive one for U2. Ocean Rain, and other early Bunnymen material obviously had a huge impact on Bono, and the rest of the band. The cadence, intonation, it's overwhelming. When GG first shared some songs of theirs a few years back, it was like finding out where babies come from...an epiphany.

Ultimately, that's a great thing, because it forces you to realize what came before you were around, and enlightens you with new musical explorations.

You know what? Somebody should post youtube links here for an Echo song and an early U2 song. Not only were they musically similar but I thought Bono even sounded quite a bit like Ian McCulloch in those days! :ohmy: I would do it but I don't know all that much about Echo and either AOD or Gibby would do a better job in picking the perfect songs for comparison. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
You know what? Somebody should post youtube links here for an Echo song and an early U2 song. w all that much about Echo and either AOD or Gibby would do a betterNot only were they musically similar but I thought Bono even sounded quite a bit like Ian McCulloch in those days!

:yes: quite a bit in the early days, and I'm sorry but when I hear Bono sing the low Ultraviolet chorus, that is ALL Ian! But it's not a bad thing! :)

Rescue, the Back of Love, just a couple off the top of my head...

Also I'm amazed noone has mentioned Gavin Friday. Like Bono hasn't taken a huge chunk of his stage persona from him.

But that's OK, Gavin isn't as famous (or rich) as Bono.....

Zootlesque said:
You know what? Somebody should post youtube links here for an Echo song and an early U2 song. Not only were they musically similar but I thought Bono even sounded quite a bit like Ian McCulloch in those days! :ohmy: I would do it but I don't know all that much about Echo and either AOD or Gibby would do a better job in picking the perfect songs for comparison. :wink:

Throw psychedelic furs and may INXS in there...well I've confused a couple of their songs for Echo & Co, there was an Oingo Boingo song I I thought was Echo...hell I thought "Lips Like Sugar" was one of David Bowie's "dance" phase songs.

Even Led Zeppelin borrowed from the blues, the Beatles were influenced by Elvis for sure.

I don't think anyone in U2 really minds if Coldplay wants to emulate them. I think Bono encourages it, at least encourages them to compete, tend you do better in a competition I think then just doing off doing your own thing. Something about hearing a Coldplay song that made himhave a nervous twitch but then again he could have just been rambling. ;) Adam also said something similar, hears a Coldplay song, says, that's a good, we can do better...I'd rather listen to Coldplay and U2 than Fergie IMO.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hGWaCBb0Q

they do kind of have similar voices :reject:

all music originates from other music yeah
but if people seriously feel that the way Coldplay try to incorporate bits of U2 in their sound, live shows and now production team is the same as Bunnymen - U2 then I'm going to join a weatherforum for some meaningful discussion :up:

Aygo said:

did i say they were? no. you asked for examples of bands that imitate u2 and i gave it to you and others' even gave example u2's not so original "originality". so what do you respond with? "oh if you were a u2 fan" bullshit.

this thread is crap.

Coldplay like U2 and aspire to follow in their footsteps, big whoop! If Coldplay suddenly took an EXTREME left-turn and suddenly put out an album with glitch beats and so on, some people would still find a way to accuse them of ripping off Zooropa or Passengers. And even if they couldn't find a single hint of U2 in the music they'd just scrape the barrell and say "OH...well...he copies Bono's LANGUAGE...being all vague and not delivering what was expected."

:huh:

Coldplay has big dreams... and I wish them the best.

I'm looking forward to the next album... I have all their albums, and I'm also a hardcore U2 fan... I don't hear similiarities.

So what if Coldplay have a good business plan? They're talented and ambitious. Working with Eno, making anthemic rock and singing about death and spirituality is certaintly not exclusive to, or copyrighted by U2. I heard Viva La Vida and Violet Hill from their new ablum today, and they're sounding great. The U2 influence is not particularly obvious or direct to my ear. Good on them. Martin is doing some awesome stuff.

Back
Top Bottom