Next single??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
OK - so thus far we have 'Vertigo', 'Sometimes' and 'COBL' as singles outside Nth America, while Nth America have 'Vertigo', 'All Because Of You' and I assume now COBL.

Can us Aussie/Euro/Asian/Sth African fans expect 'All Because Of You' next, or will we get 'Love Or Peace...' or maybe (I hope!!) 'Miracle Drug'??

Or can U2 stun us all with a new cd sooner than we think? :) :)

Miracle Drug 'd be cool... but I'd prefer Crumbs from your table or Yahweh. One Step Closer is also a lovely song but I don't see it as a single.

Before the tour I would have said OOTS.. but since they have played it so little, and then that it was stripped down makes it doubtfull. IF they get Crumbs started then no doubt it's the next single.

Nisse said:
Before the tour I would have said OOTS.. but since they have played it so little, and then that it was stripped down makes it doubtfull. IF they get Crumbs started then no doubt it's the next single.

Interesting point that actually...:up:

Its been mentioned before, Love And Peace 'should' do well in Australia, because it would do well on Radio. (If they dont overplay it Like Vertigo and all other songs released on HTDAAB)

I'd like to see it Released, but I doubt it will be....

Miracle Drug or Orginal will be next, and maybe the last single of this album?

bono_man2002 said:
Its been mentioned before, Love And Peace 'should' do well in Australia, because it would do well on Radio. (If they dont overplay it Like Vertigo and all other songs released on HTDAAB)

I'd like to see it Released, but I doubt it will be....

...released....released....released?:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

...released....released....released?:wink:

:lol:

I don't agree with any of the songs that have been chosen as singles so far! The best songs on the album are Crumbs, Love And Peace, Miracle Drug, City and A Man And A Woman... none of which have been chosen yet.

Vertigo, All Because Of You and Sometimes all suck! :angry:

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

I don't agree with any of the songs that have been chosen as singles so far! The best songs on the album are Crumbs, Love And Peace, Miracle Drug, City and A Man And A Woman... none of which have been chosen yet.

Vertigo, All Because Of You and Sometimes all suck! :angry:

Uh, City is the current single.

To answer the question, I think OOTS should be the next single. Either that or LAPOE. But I don't know what WILL be the next single.

But I kind of hope it's OOTS, if for no other reason because I'm holding out hope that if it is OOTS, they release a single version of it similar to the live versions.

Zootlesque said:
I hope it's LAPOE cos OOTS kinda sucks. Can't stand the do-do-do part esp. :grumpy:

That part's not so good.

But live it's different. It's almost Radiohead-esque with the keyboard.

Also, you know that if it's LAPOE, the single will be edited and the awesome intro will be gone.

namkcuR said:

But live it's different. It's almost Radiohead-esque with the keyboard.

Also, you know that if it's LAPOE, the single will be edited and the awesome intro will be gone.

Radiohead-esque??? That's almost too much for me to believe! :wink:

I hear what you're saying about LAPOE. Ah well, I don't buy singles anyway. Doesn't bother me really.

I really only wanted an excuse to say that Vertigo, Sometimes and ABOY suck. :reject:

I'd like U2 to (re)take All Because Of You as the last worldwide single.
It is very radio-friendly and as it was played almost all the concerts at its end, and as it sounds very nice live, it has got its chances... Either way, it has already payed its prooof in the US.

But I think that Original of the species or Miracle drug will be chosen. The band has already talked about the OOTS hypotetic single thing.
Anothe thing I'd like to see was Love and peace or else as a single, or a surprise choice as Yahweh. I think these last two songs could have good radio-airplay and they could give good singles. I could imagine Yahweh with a very sugestive video (to make contrast to the lack of imagination of the last videos)...

AFTER JULY 2.. LIVE 8... the new single WILL BE Crumbs From Your Table... I'll sign this if I could

I think their best bet is Original of the Species, it's the catchiest song on the album... well along with Vertigo.

Zootlesque, I actually disagree with you for once :ohmy: though it would be interesting to see how LAPOE would fair as a single, it is one of the stronger songs on the album...they'd probably cut the cool intro :slant:

I don't know what they were thinking releasing City as a single. Good song, but single material? :no: way too long, even with the edit. Plus I can't stand that piano part. That has to account for something.

:lol: When I last posted, I had Achtung Baby on my mind cos I'd been listening to it on the way back from work. That would explain the 'suck' comments. Seriously, I don't think that Vertigo, Sometimes and All Because 'suck'. I mean I don't love 'em to death either. But they're okay. :wink:

And... why I said City could be a good single is cos its at least a really catchy and upbeat track! Similar to Even Better Than The Real Thing... I think it just screams to be made a single! So what if it's a little long? You should listen to Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother Suite (23 min). Now that's long! :wink:

Zootlesque said:
:lol: When I last posted, I had Achtung Baby on my mind cos I'd been listening to it on the way back from work. That would explain the 'suck' comments. Seriously, I don't think that Vertigo, Sometimes and All Because 'suck'. I mean I don't love 'em to death either. But they're okay. :wink:

And... why I said City could be a good single is cos its at least a really catchy and upbeat track! Similar to Even Better Than The Real Thing... I think it just screams to be made a single! So what if it's a little long? You should listen to Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother Suite (23 min). Now that's long! :wink:

I hate to break it to you, but ABOY is MUCH more similar to EBTTRT than COBL is. Actually, if you listen to the first 20 seconds of ABOY through headphones, Edge is doing an effect with his guitar that is disconcertingly similar to that wonderous EBTTRT intro, except that it's fainter :wink:

Okay yeah... you're right. ABOY is quite similar in structure to EBTTRT. Anyway, City is a good choice.

Zootlesque said:

Oh trust me I know long, VU's Sister Ray... 17 minutes...:huh:

but I don't think they released that as a single :wink:

Radio likes short songs. And City seems too...I don't know...sophisticated for radio. I can't explain it except that it's not the kinda thing I would expect to hear on the radio... although some of the "alternative rock" stations will play U2, and they will play longer songs...

I stand by what I said though, I don't think City was a good choice for a single. And they should have released ABOY third in the US, not second. Two rockers in a row is not a good strategy. Vertigo, Sometimes, and then Love and Peace or Else... that could have worked.

By the way, speaking of long songs... wasn't Light My Fire by The Doors made a single? Or at least it's been played on the radio a gazillion times. And that's 6:30 in length.

That reminds me...there are two words that can put the debate as to whether or not long songs can be singles to rest: Bohemian Rhapsody.

The band wanted to release it is a single. A radio station said they wanted to edit it. Freddie Mercury pretty much said no, you either play it as it is or you don't play it(which I think is awesome).

The rest is history.

All I want is you - 6:30 (4:14 for the edited version)
Bad - 6:09 (it had radio airplay, but not a single)
Where the streets have no name - 5:35 (4:35 edit version)
Discothèque - 5:19 (4minutes and a half I guess to the radio version)
Lemon - 6:56 (video edit - 4:40)
And many other U2's singles which songs have more than 4:45 and made success...

Do I have to say more?

City of blinding lights is a very good choice, but the kind of promotion is the worst possible...

I really hope that the next single(s) will be better promoted

thatsnotmypuppy said:

Can us Aussie/Euro/Asian/Sth African fans expect 'All Because Of You' next, or will we get 'Love Or Peace...' or maybe (I hope!!) 'Miracle Drug'??

The radio station I've been listening to (In Australia) has been playnig All Because Of You and claiming its the next single.

This seems a bit sudden considering City Of Blinding Lights was only officially released a bit over 3 weeks ago.

However, I don't really believe anything they tell me on that radio station. They have a knack for getting their information wrong.

Back
Top Bottom