New U2.com subscriber gift known... sort of.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't remember hearing much of the backing vocals when they did the song in Chicago. I didn't listen to the clip on U2.com, but they definitely weren't prominent in concert.

I know in New Jersey, he specifically says "On satellite, Sinead O'Connor!" and then she begins singing the "saw me coming..." bit. And she actually provides a backing vocal throughout the next verse, too.

I know in New Jersey, he specifically says "On satellite, Sinead O'Connor!" and then she begins singing the "saw me coming..." bit. And she actually provides a backing vocal throughout the next verse, too.

Huh. It's been ages since I've heard one of the live versions - since Chicago was the first, maybe they changed it as they went.

Or maybe Sinead was singing the whole thing at the top of her lungs in Chicago, and I was just freaking out too much to realize it. :wink:

Also, I don't see anyone being offended around here. I see a lot of annoyance, though.

Agree, people that cannot at least see that are looking to be offended. If you do not like a particular song, don't vote for it. Nothing wrong with that. But it does not make sense to vote for a song like Crazy Tonight that we already have several official soundboard versions of already. That is all people are trying to point out. I'm not sure why that is a difficult concept for some. :shrug:

It isn't difficult at all. I even liked when someone asked earlier for some of us to wait and see what needed help. I do have a problem with the way people are saying it. For example, when Comet was given a hard time because she voted for what she liked. Just because we don't share your opinion doesn't make us wrong. It makes sense for people to vote for what they like.

It's all in the delivery.:wink:

Huh. It's been ages since I've heard one of the live versions - since Chicago was the first, maybe they changed it as they went.

Or maybe Sinead was singing the whole thing at the top of her lungs in Chicago, and I was just freaking out too much to realize it. :wink:

Also, I don't see anyone being offended around here. I see a lot of annoyance, though.

It's pretty subtle on most recordings, I think, but it's definitely there.

It isn't difficult at all. I even liked when someone asked earlier for some of us to wait and see what needed help. I do have a problem with the way people are saying it. For example, when Comet was given a hard time because she voted for what she liked. Just because we don't share your opinion doesn't make us wrong. It makes sense for people to vote for what they like.

It's all in the delivery.:wink:
:up: :up:
:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

No, he definately sang it.

Download U2 9-13-09 YBR MX.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Your right, it is annoying, for the reason I pointed out. It makes no sense to vote for Crazy Tonight. Just like most did not like that the Sydney DVD was part of the Achtung Box set. Why would that be? Its the same thing. Anyone that has been a member of U2.com for the last 2 years already has an official live version of the song from the exact same source. It is just mind boggling that people are voting for it.

I guess it is one of the drawbacks of having mass appeal. There is no room to complain about the redundancy of anything they release in the future. It is clearly what a majority of the general fans want. It was a good way to show that the diehards are clearly the vocal minority with the U2 fans. I guess it makes sense. Just like the setlists for stadium shows. Most of the people there want and/or expect the hits. I did not know a large portion of the U2.com crowd were just casual fans. I would have guessed more diehards. It is just very surprising in a lot of ways.

Makes you wonder if they had allowed a vote on which DVD concert to be included in the Achtung Box set and included some unreleased shows up against Sydney what the outcome would have been. Before this I would have said no way Sydney gets the vote. But I'm not so sure now.

I don't think you can really divide this by "diehard" fans and "casual" fans. It seems like you're saying if people vote for their favorite songs they are only casual fans. There are plenty of diehard fans here on Interference and many have already stated they will vote for their favorite songs. Do you think only the "diehards" will vote for rarities, and the "casuals" will vote for hits? I am not a casual U2 fan, but I'm not going to vote for Electrical Storm if I didn't like the way they played it live. It all comes back to what people like and want to listen to.
I'm definitely not saying I hope we don't get some good rarities, I hope we do, but suggesting that the people who vote for songs they actually like are just casual U2 fans isn't the case.

340x-7.gif

:D :up:

I don't think you can really divide this by "diehard" fans and "casual" fans. It seems like you're saying if people vote for their favorite songs they are only casual fans. There are plenty of diehard fans here on Interference and many have already stated they will vote for their favorite songs. Do you think only the "diehards" will vote for rarities, and the "casuals" will vote for hits? I am not a casual U2 fan, but I'm not going to vote for Electrical Storm if I didn't like the way they played it live. It all comes back to what people like and want to listen to.
I'm definitely not saying I hope we don't get some good rarities, I hope we do, but suggesting that the people who vote for songs they actually like are just casual U2 fans isn't the case.

:D :up:

Like I said earlier, if you do not like a song, do not vote for it. But to vote for something that has already been released or have already does not make sense.

Like I said earlier, if you do not like a song, do not vote for it. But to vote for something that has already been released or have already does not make sense.

Again, this is all we're saying. If someone thinks Your Blue Room is a crap song, I could see why they might not vote for it. But I guess I imagine, what if U2 had let us vote for what ZOOTV show they included with the remaster and people voted for the show we already have? I see those who are voting for the songs we have dozens of live versions of, and not voting for the rarities, as doing the same thing here.

It's not just a case of having different opinions of what the best songs are, it's wasting an opportunity.

I'm actually able to vote over and over again, i don't know why, but since there are people on here bitching im going to keep on voting for H!TZ 0nly!

WOWY
Streets
GOYB
One
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment
ISHFWILF
IALW
Pride
VERTIGO!
BD
WALK ON!!
SBS
NYD

no rarities, NONE WHAT SO EVAH

Every few times i vote, ive noticed the %age change!

currently i have voted 476 times...and COUNTING

LOLZ

No, he definately sang it.

Download U2 9-13-09 YBR MX_mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Your right, it is annoying, for the reason I pointed out. It makes no sense to vote for Crazy Tonight. Just like most did not like that the Sydney DVD was part of the Achtung Box set. Why would that be? Its the same thing. Anyone that has been a member of U2.com for the last 2 years already has an official live version of the song from the exact same source. It is just mind boggling that people are voting for it.

Thank you. So my original point of "Your Blue Room" not having Bono sing being unacceptable still holds. From where did you get that? It sounds like a soundboard recording.

I'm actually able to vote over and over again, i don't know why, but since there are people on here bitching im going to keep on voting for H!TZ 0nly!

WOWY
Streets
GOYB
One
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment
ISHFWILF
IALW
Pride
VERTIGO!
BD
WALK ON!!
SBS
NYD

no rarities, NONE WHAT SO EVAH

Every few times i vote, ive noticed the %age change!

currently i have voted 476 times...and COUNTING

LOLZ
That's rather mean-spirited of you...

I got that. I was commenting on your division of casual fans voting for what you consider nonsensical and diehard fans voting for what you want on the cd, when I don't think you can do that. There are diehards who still like and want some of the songs you personally don't want on there, that's all.

I'm not trying to argue! I DO understand what you're saying. But I still don't expect that people are going to vote for songs they know they probably won't want to listen to.

I think some of the problem here is there are a group of people who are going to get this cd and download it on an ipod and then only listen to the tracks they want. Another group of people is going to actually pop the cd into a cd player and listen to it, and if they like all the songs, they will do this often, and that is why voting for the songs they like makes sense to them. I hope that makes sense!

I believe the term was 'submental' and since he thinks ill of me, I should just go slit my wrists now. Or go to a concert and sing loudly. :lol:
I didn't say folks here voting for it were submental, but that the SONGS were submental; they're obnoxious and without subtlety or originality. I think you have bad taste, but I'm sure many people would think that of my selections if I expressed them.

Singing loudly at a show is just a violation of others' rights to hear the performance in its full subtlety, though. Very poor and silly behavior.

Seriously, though. Why would you do that? If you actually WANT the hits from this tour, I sort of get it, but if it's just out of spite, don't do it.

yo dog, im just messing with ya. You can only vote once.

My point was not to be "mean spirited" ( :lol: ) or whatever.

However, those of you who think you can come in here and tell other members how they can vote are beyond arrogant. Do what you want with your vote, and let everyone else do what they want with theirs.

For the record, i would like to see the rare songs up there, but since i have one vote then thats that. Everyone else, please do as you wish and dont listen to anyone else but your own choices.

I didn't say folks here voting for it were submental, but that the SONGS were submental; they're obnoxious and without subtlety or originality. I think you have bad taste, but I'm sure many people would think that of my selections if I expressed them.

Singing loudly at a show is just a violation of others' rights to hear the performance in its full subtlety, though. Very poor and silly behavior.

Singing at a concert is poor behaviour?:scratch:

However, those of you who think you can come in here and tell other members how they can vote are beyond arrogant. Do what you want with your vote, and let everyone else do what they want with theirs.

For the record, i would like to see the rare songs up there, but since i have one vote then thats that. Everyone else, please do as you wish and dont listen to anyone else but your own choices.

:up::up::up:

Oh, that's a relief. However, part of life is persuasion. I just came here to bemoan the quality of "Your Blue Room". Then someone signaled that they hated it and I replied that I thought songs like Vertigo or Boots sucked. Obviously, we all want the songs we want and work to persuade others. I'm just being more honest than most. To the extent that I don't care one way or the other, I don't care how folks vote, but I'd obviously prefer if folks voted my way.

Singing at a concert is poor behaviour?:scratch:
Well, we're there to hear Bono. Unless he asks you to sing along, I can't hear him or the band when others are singing or yelling or interfering with my hearing or seeing, especially when you consider that this is a once in a lifetime performance not to be released on DVD. People are just repeating in their minds the recorded performance and don't care about what subtle differences. They want the concert to be about them and be recognized. Hence the "Hey, Bono!" shouts. However, for everyone to enjoy the performance equally, everyone should behave as if everyone were to do act the same way they do at every given moment. This is to say, if you think you have the right to shout, you should expect others to shout during the entire performance. People want the right to be obnoxious when they want with the expectation others will shut up when they want to hear something. The best thing is for everyone to be quiet so we can all hear everything.

Well, we're there to hear Bono. Unless he asks you to sing along, I can't hear him or the band when others are singing or yelling or interfering with my hearing or seeing.

:lol: Really? Over those loudass speakers, you can't hear Bono? Silly. I don't wanna know how you feel about the performances of Still Haven't Found on the most recent tour. Everyone in the stadium has a right to sing along to the songs. It doesn't require Bono's permission. When I sing along at a concert then I feel that I am more a part of the songs. There's a huge connection. I think Bono wants the audience to sing right along.

Well, we're there to hear Bono. Unless he asks you to sing along, I can't hear him or the band when others are singing or yelling or interfering with my hearing or seeing, especially when you consider that this is a once in a lifetime performance not to be released on DVD. People are just repeating in their minds the recorded performance and don't care about what subtle differences. They want the concert to be about them and be recognized. Hence the "Hey, Bono!" shouts. However, for everyone to enjoy the performance equally, everyone should behave as if everyone were to do act the same way they do at every given moment. This is to say, if you think you have the right to shout, you should expect others to shout during the entire performance. People want the right to be obnoxious when they want with the expectation others will shut up when they want to hear something. The best thing is for everyone to be quiet so we can all hear everything.

You wouldn't enjoy going to a show with me! :D

:lol: Really? Over those loudass speakers, you can't hear Bono? Silly. I don't wanna know how you feel about the performances of Still Haven't Found on the most recent tour. Everyone in the stadium has a right to sing along to the songs. It doesn't require Bono's permission. When I sing along at a concert then I feel that I am more a part of the songs. There's a huge connection. I think Bono wants the audience to sing right along.

seriously, they are going to have to build a bigger claw with louder speakers so we can hear Bono over your sing-along :wink:

This implies you don't mind every single person around you taking turns shouting and screaming and talking during the songs. What's the point of going, then? Shouldn't the performance be the most important thing? I show appreciation by clapping or shouting between songs, which is how folks behave at classical music or opera concerts and is why those folks can hear and appreciate everything. It's not just a drunken party. It's actually about the music.

I've also found that it's not relaxing to be obnoxious; people are often trying to be cool or noticed. At my first concert in 2004, I gesticulated and was obnoxious, but couldn't remember a thing because I hadn't relaxed enough to appreciate the music.

You wouldn't enjoy going to a show with me! :D
It's why I'll probably never go to another show again. The most annoying thing is when the video cameras go up and block my view. I HATE that. People don't know how to live in the moment anymore.

Again, if everyone exerted your purported right, you wouldn't hear Bono. It's not fair to the majority who want to hear the actual performers they paid to see. Folks who go to dozens of concerts a year don't get it. The performance is paramount. Bono is cowardly in his people pleasing, nowadays.

The time to sing along is to your recorded music because you can always rewind it to hear it fully. You can't do that with a live concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom