New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you're referring to me? (Just in case, here we go) I think it's a damn weak and generic song. I just said the sound quality of the movie recording isn't that bad as some are saying, that means it's not that hard to predict how it will sound on a good quality recording. The sound quality of all previous beachclips was 100 times worse. I didn't like the previous 60 seconds clip, my expectations were low and I still don't like what I hear. So it does match my expectations for quite a bit.

But isn't every song now just going to be generic one way or another? Not everything has to be totally different

But isn't every song now just going to be generic one way or another? Not everything has to be totally different

Not everything has to be totally different, true. I'd love to have a total departure from the predictable and not very adventurous path they've taken years ago (musically speaken). I know it's not very realistic to expect that, but that's fine. Problem is, I just don't think the quality of most of their post 2000 work is (that) good. No Line had some good songs (Fez and Cedars for example) and is way, way better than Bomb, so I was cautiously optimistic about the next years. Then they came up with the songs I already mentioned in this thread....
My main problem with their ''recent'' output is not that it's not adventurous enough, it's just that the quality has been declining for years now. I still rate most of their eighties and nineties work to some of the best music I've ever heard. They've created amazing songs/albums and are the best live band ever, but the 2000s don't live up to the magic there once was.

Because they haven't gone all out experimental on it basically

Experimenting to sound like Coldplay when Coldplay tries to sound like U2, is not very flattering for a band who has already released very different and daring things through all their career.
If Bono wasn't singing over it and if someone would show me that instrumental and told me that it was a X&Y outtake, I'd totally believe it.

Wait a minute... did this guy just make the argument that the song by U2 sounds like a classic example of when coldplay tries to sound like U2?

20120914120348!Exploding-head.gif

What.

The.

Fuck.

Can we just pause for a moment and reflect on the fact that this is actually a Soundtrack song? And that there is really no need for U2 to go totally experimental on a song for a Mandela biopic?

That said, I'm pretty sure they won't go radically experimental on their new album. They won't go radically experimental or innovative on anything coming in the future, whatever future they might have left. I think we just need to accept that. It's kind of ridiculous to expect such a shift now. I would be happy, personally, to have stuff that's as good as most of NLOTH on the new album, and I also wouldn't mind a song or two like Ordinary Love. IMO it's much better than Crazy, Boots or Stand Up and it has a sense of beauty that I want to hear from U2.

Wait a minute... did this guy just make the argument that the song by U2 sounds like a classic example of when coldplay tries to sound like U2? What. The. Fuck.

That's what I was thinking, so if I have got this right U2 aren't allowed to sound like U2 anymore because Coldplay stole this sound and U2 released POP?

The arguments in this forum make me go a mixture of :lmao: and :huh: in my head.

Just because a bunch of people do not like a particular new U2 song doesn't automatically mean that they were expecting something experimental! They may just not like said song... due to whatever reasons. The word "experimental" seems to get thrown around loosely a bit too much!

And Coldplay comparisons? :lol: Seriously? That is like... so 2008 or something.

The arguments in this forum make me go a mixture of :lmao: and :huh: in my head. Just because a bunch of people do not like a particular new U2 song doesn't automatically mean that they were expecting something experimental! They may just not like said song... due to whatever reasons. The word "experimental" seems to get thrown around loosely a bit too much! And Coldplay comparisons? :lol: Seriously? That is like... so 2008 or something.

Couldn't agree more, & the funny thing is that Dave Fanning said this song would not be indicative of the music on the new album, so don't get tied up about it. He also said it was recorded in the Summer at Electric Lady, where we saw none other than 'Chris Martin' exiting the studio (the BBQ event). Who's to say Chris wasn't involved in this song in one form or another.

Isn't it just great to hear a new U2 tune?

So far we've had people saying they want something more experimental like Acrobat, Fez or Cedars. Wow, imagine anyone of those ending this movie. Go figure!

The arguments in this forum make me go a mixture of :lmao: and :huh: in my head.

Just because a bunch of people do not like a particular new U2 song doesn't automatically mean that they were expecting something experimental! They may just not like said song... due to whatever reasons.
Exactly:up:

I gave myself a couple days and I still think this song is pretty badass.

A couple days have done away with the initial "oh man Bono and nature references, Bono can't write lyrics bluh" (sad how personal being a u2 addict makes those cringe factors), which was my only initial misgiving. I really like everything about the song -- my only objection now is there isn't that much of it: not that many lyrics, but especially not that many ideas. Everything's pushing toward the same very sound idea ("ordinary love" becoming impossible nowadays+a kind of jesus-y "look at the birds of the air, they do not labor to find their food yet the lord provides for them, therefore don't worry, etc").

It just lacks the rough edges of a "With or Without You," that sense of not knowing quite what Bono means. So it does feel pretty tame, if very cool sounding, to me. But then it's a soundtrack song, it's not on the album, and that's probably inevitable. Extremely excited for the new album based on what we do have, considered without despairing over its necessary limitations (especially chunky Edge guitar accent on breakdown :drool: and Bono vocal production -- he sounds loose:ohmy:).

That's what I was thinking, so if I have got this right U2 aren't allowed to sound like U2 anymore because Coldplay stole this sound and U2 released POP?

Pretty much. Every time U2 tries to write a song, Chris Martin alters and says "move your twat, lose your spot".

:up: +1
i think it's a really lazy comparison, and not one i can get my head around at all...

Agreed.

They aim for similar emotions, but baseline Coldplay (Parachutes) comes out of mellow Radiohead more than anything I think, which U2 just doesn't have much overlap with (Bono has never in his life sounded downtrodden and drifting).

I do think Johnny Buckland idolizes the Edge at least as much as Martin idolizes Bono, and that comes through on their newer stuff -- that said, their newer stuff is also more synthesized/2000s pop than anything U2 have ever done.

I think Bono is copying Chris Martin by using falsetto. I believe Chris Martin was the first to ever use falsetto, right?

I love the sectarism of fans, it's just delicious.:wink:
No one can ever dare to say something negative or that it's not very flattering about the band and a whole flock comes over that user with all sorts of non-sense irony and all sorts of excuses to avoid discussing a reversed opinion or prism of seeing the band.

I love the sectarism of fans, it's just delicious.:wink:
No one can ever dare to say something negative or that it's not very flattering about the band and a whole flock comes over that user with all sorts of non-sense irony and all sorts of excuses to avoid discussing a reversed opinion or prism of seeing the band.

Give me a break... I say negative things about the band all the time.

Your comment just made no fucking sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom