New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, Ordinary Love's biggest crime is that it's killed some of the buzz factor for the first single (which surely must be less than twelve weeks away now). It's a serviceable song, no more no less. Just a pity the fans will be scrutinizing it to the nth degree, instead of looking forward with eager anticipation to new album. Throwing OL out there now is a bit of a dick move by the band :doh:

If it were the other way around, many fans would be complaining that nothing new has been released in so-and-so years and how the band can't "throw us a bone," so to speak. Personally, I'd rather have something new in the meantime to talk about and listen to. Besides, if the first single from the new album can stick up on its own merits, then it will do just that.

It's a very light feeling song, the hook is quite catchy, actually. And I love the piano, hopefully, IMO, it sticks around for a song or two on the new album.

If it were the other way around, many fans would be complaining that nothing new has been released in so-and-so years and how the band can't "throw us a bone," so to speak. Personally, I'd rather have something new in the meantime to talk about and listen to. Besides, if the first single from the new album can stick up on its own merits, then it will do just that.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's all about perspective. We've even been told not to read too much into this song in regards to how the new album will sound, so I'm treating this song as more of a WITS or Electrical Storm type release. I'll hold full judgement off until the official rip surfaces, but I think I'll like it more than WITS for sure. You can't touch Electrical Storm though.

What's shocking to me is what appears to be 300 people at a Nelson Mandela movie....

It's a nice song. I can't wait to hear the high quality version. See what DM brings out in regards to sound and clarity.

In regards to the new album, not too worried if it's like this song. My preference would be to have an album that has a theme. NLOTH kind of has till the middle three. Had those songs been replaced with others that fit the mood of the other songs, I think the album is judged differently.

I can't see U2 making some progressive rock record in their 50s, and wanting to be relevant. I think we may get a dark album with songs flowing into one another.....

Or we'll get a collection of singles, much like HTDAAB, but better stability with one producer in charge.

There's something interesting going on between 1:43-2:22, which I'll be curious to hear in good quality.

For me, Ordinary Love's biggest crime is that it's killed some of the buzz factor for the first single (which surely must be less than twelve weeks away now). It's a serviceable song, no more no less. Just a pity the fans will be scrutinizing it to the nth degree, instead of looking forward with eager anticipation to new album. Throwing OL out there now is a bit of a dick move by the band :doh:

:huh:

Yup. :up:

I think I'll like it more than WITS for sure. You can't touch Electrical Storm though.

Agreed completely! WITS is crap.

There's something interesting going on between 1:43-2:22, which I'll be curious to hear in good quality.

Agreed. It sounds like there’s quite a shift in there. And that it is hard to hear, ie it’s not smacking you in the face as so much of their work over the past decade does (and the trailer clip kinda suggested), is a really nice change in itself.

The trailer edit makes it sound incredibly dull - more of the same with a slight sprinkling of DM dust - but this, while not really exciting me, does definitely now have my interest.

So the story is that this was recorded only fairly recently after they got the request for the film, right? A guess would be that it’s something they’d been working on and had put aside, not destined for the album, and then picked it up again when this ‘bonus’ opportunity came up. Maybe it then earned itself a place on the album, maybe not, but if this is what isn’t making the cut – that could be a really good sign?

I seem to remember reading that this song was written specifically for the movie over the summer months and then presumably recorded during the ongoing album sessions, so its very possible that its nothing like what we'll hear on the album (which has been said elsewhere already).

Sounds like a sweet atmospheric UF-style bridge - or something as early as the bridges to IWF or OOC.

I'm a sucker for that stuff. As U2 has gotten more traditional and confident in more traditional songcraft, they really have ignored this arty side of sound-sculpting and cool interludes.

Yeah, I think that's what I read too, but it's still pretty unlikely it came from absolutely nothing just this summer - more likely it's built off something that already existed, or from stripping something else for parts.

Seems obvious to me that the lyrical connection between the song and movie is in the reference to Mandela's ultimately failed relationship to his wife? Haven't seen the movie, so don't know if this issue is covered, but the lyrics seem to posit "ordinary" (i.e. at a personal level) love is a different kind of war/struggle from the social struggles of Mandela and his people. Topics covered in Please and Love and Peace as well. Anyone feel similarly?

It sounds like I'll like the song, but making such a judgment without hearing a quality better than utter dog shit would be silly.
The sound quality isn't that bad, you can't hear every nuance or detail, but it's quite easy to get (more than) a decent perspective on how it sounds.

I don't want to hear it yet. I want to hear it with the production full-force, they way they intended for it to be heard when they recorded it.

Not saying this in a holier-than-thou fashion, mind. I just want it to be as good as it possibly can first time I hear it.

Suppose it's a bit like losing your virginity. :|

I don't want to hear it yet. I want to hear it with the production full-force, they way they intended for it to be heard when they recorded it. Not saying this in a holier-than-thou fashion, mind. I just want it to be as good as it possibly can first time I hear it. Suppose it's a bit like losing your virginity. :|

I'm with you there. I wanna hear the song at its best. I've ruined songs before by listening to rubbish versions first. I can imagine some people getting the CD quality version but still anticipating clapping at the minute mark...

chork, are you saying I shouldn't have lost my virginity on the beach with people clapping in the background?

Suppose it's a bit like losing your virginity. :|

With that logic, you should just listen to it now and get it over with, because the first time is never going to match the build-up you've given it in your mind. :sexywink:

PS: don't be expecting an orgasm, either.

I love how some people are trying hard NOT to like the song and then hesitantly admitting that there are some decent or nice or not so bad or ok or quite acceptable things in the song that they might like after all. Why is it so hard to simply enjoy a song even if it doesn't match the expectations 100%?

I love how some people are trying hard NOT to like the song and then hesitantly admitting that there are some decent or nice or not so bad or ok or quite acceptable things in the song that they might like after all. Why is it so hard to simply enjoy a song even if it doesn't match the expectations 100%?

Because they haven't gone all out experimental on it basically

On a beach, people clapping .... and the sound of coins dropping.

Oh dear. That sounds like a sad tale.

I don't know if you're referring to me? (Just in case, here we go) I think it's a damn weak and generic song. I just said the sound quality of the movie recording isn't that bad as some are saying, that means it's not that hard to predict how it will sound on a good quality recording. The sound quality of all previous beachclips was 100 times worse.
I didn't like the previous 60 seconds clip, my expectations were low and I still don't like what I hear. So it does match my expectations for quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom