Most Underrated Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is U2's most underrated album?

• Boy

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • October

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • The Joshua Tree

• Rattle and Hum

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Achtung Baby

• Zooropa

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Pop

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
What do you think is U2's most underrated album? (note: I didn't put Passengers in here because it's not technically a "U2" album, in case you were wondering...)

I voted for UF. It's the best of the underrated and underappreciated albums. I think it's so good and has a dreamy, passionate quality and it really displays their talent. I love listening to it, and I am sad to hear a lot of newer fans don't even own it. Get it, it's excellent!

though The Unforgettable Fire is my favourite album I would have to say October is the most underrated one

i was upset that you couldn't select multiple ones, since i think october and zooropa are both equally underrated.

but i chose october since people always trash it, but i don't hear bad things about zooropa. it even won a grammy.

I voted for October, since it's my second-favorite album and it annoys me how it always seems to get lumped together with Boy, when the two are so different, imho.

I thought about making it so you guys could pick more than one, but ultimately I didn't...Sorry!

I was only a very little kid when UF came out, so I can only go by what I've heard and read, but it seems like I remember that critics didn't like it, but the fans did...?

BostonAnne said:
I never thought of the UF as underated. I voted for October.

I never did either Anne until years later, then I found out it really gets a bum rap from some people.

Wertsie- I never noticed the critics didn't like it until I read it here LOL! But I always liked it and so did everyone I know. It wasn't the big blockbuster JT turned out to be, but it was a good record and it did pretty well. If anyone has the stats please post them!

There's a reason October gets the least amount of attention......it's their weakest album. And to lump it with Boy is a huge insult to one of the best debut albums of all time.

But enough of my October gripes....

Pop is definitely the most underrated U2 album, no question.

Dustybot said:
There's a reason October gets the least amount of attention......it's their weakest album. And to lump it with Boy is a huge insult to one of the best debut albums of all time.

*shakes head profusely*

Er...That would DEFINITELY be a matter of opinion. I could not possibly disagree more.

The Unforgettable Fire

Zooropa is a close second, but I had to go with TUF. It's such a sweeping album, so many levels.

Zooropa. For me it was a tough call between this one and UF. Both are very bold, adventuresome albums, and the boys caught alot of flack for both of them. I think they should have been given just a bit more *credit*.

It's gotta be October. ONe excellent example of it not being noticed is that in "Legends" for U2 on VH1, many October songs are used in the context of the show, yet there is not one mention of October in the whole forking thing.

Zooman91 said:
It's gotta be October. ONe excellent example of it not being noticed is that in "Legends" for U2 on VH1, many October songs are used in the context of the show, yet there is not one mention of October in the whole forking thing.

yes!! i thought i was crazy when i noticed this! i was like "uhhh, is it me or did they not even TALK about one of U2's best?" and during their early stuff, 90% of what they played was from that album. it pissed me off cuz, it's not like the album bombed or anything. i think it sold a little bit more than boy did (i think album sales steadily increased from boy up till joshua tree if i'm not mistaken?) which would mean it should deserve at least some attention. i haven't seen the thing in a couple months so correct me if i'm wrong but, did they not even mention about the gig in portland where the groupies stole his briefcase?

Zooropa said:
Definitely POP.

I think Pop is underrated also. With me it's not so much a matter of "underrated", it's *most* underrated. I could have voted for Pop or UF but I picked Zooropa. Some people don't like Pop, but I do.

Zooman91 said:

I know! That irritated me to know end...They talked about the guys touring during that time, but made no mention of the album!

I had to pick "October" because I think it really has gotten a bum rap. When I got the album, I didn't even want to listen to it because I didn't know any of the songs and couldn't see any point to owning it, aside from it being a U2 album and I wanted to have all of them.
I was so wrong! That album completely grew on me and I now love it so much. There has been quite a bit of criticism of "October" because of the frantic atmosphere it was recorded in (I think even some members of the band have said it was their weakest effort) but I don't hear that at all. I think that maybe because Bono had to start from scratch with the lyrics for this album that he had to be more honest, more vulnerable, he didn't have time to polish everything so it came out pretty blunt.

And I can't recall "Unforgettable Fire" getting a bad rap, honestly. Wasn't that the album that really established U2? Up until then the band had (sales wise) a great debut, a so-so follow up and a great third album, but then UF was monstrously successful. At least that's how I remember it.

dsmith2904 said:
I had to pick "October" because I think it really has gotten a bum rap. When I got the album, I didn't even want to listen to it because I didn't know any of the songs and couldn't see any point to owning it, aside from it being a U2 album and I wanted to have all of them.
I was so wrong! That album completely grew on me and I now love it so much. There has been quite a bit of criticism of "October" because of the frantic atmosphere it was recorded in (I think even some members of the band have said it was their weakest effort) but I don't hear that at all. I think that maybe because Bono had to start from scratch with the lyrics for this album that he had to be more honest, more vulnerable, he didn't have time to polish everything so it came out pretty blunt.

And I can't recall "Unforgettable Fire" getting a bad rap, honestly. Wasn't that the album that really established U2? Up until then the band had (sales wise) a great debut, a so-so follow up and a great third album, but then UF was monstrously successful. At least that's how I remember it.

"October" did get alot of bad press, which probably put some people off. But that's crazy. Yes, Bono had that problem with the lyrics....but I don't think it hurt that much. "Gloria" is still one of my favorite U2 songs, period. It's a gem.
UF also got some bad press. People compared it unfavorably with "War"--they wanted a "War II". Which is insane, but sort of a pattern with U2. You know, some people wanted a JT II....too many people if you ask me. They can't used to all of this band's creativity, which is actually one of their strengths. It got some good press, too, but the radio stations were quite hostile to it except for "Pride". It's sort of a "mysterious" album, and some people couldn't get hold of it. This is the "dunderhead" response if you ask me. :lol:

dsmith2904 said:

Yeah, it was the same for me...I remember when I bought it I didn't know ANY of the songs, but people had told me that songs like "Tomorrow," "Gloria," and "October" were really good so I basically listened to those...But in the last year or so I've really began to listen with my OWN ears and have come to love songs like, "I Fall Down" and "With a Shout."

Believe it or not, I thnk the answer to this question may be ATYCLB. True, it is recognized as a brilliant album, but I don't think that it's considered to be in a class with JT or AB yet..... however I think that eventaully it may come to be U2's most defining album.

- andy

drummerboy said:
Believe it or not, I thnk the answer to this question may be ATYCLB. True, it is recognized as a brilliant album, but I don't think that it's considered to be in a class with JT or AB yet..... however I think that eventaully it may come to be U2's most defining album.

- andy

hmmm...From what I've been hearing (from critics, music fans, etc) ATYCLB is right up there status wise with the likes of JT and AB...who knows?

They're all underrated really. They all should sell more, everyone should be a U2 fan! :D

Back
Top Bottom