MERGED --> "Complete U2" errors - report HERE + Complete U2 PDF - Probs+ Paint It Bla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How was the "mix" different? Or was it a different live take?

I wish the pdf had more in-depth information like the production credits of the CDs do with studio or live venue, date recorded, etc. I also wish when the put in the date on the tags, they would have used the material's original release year and not have them ALL be 2004 to correlate to the box set.

Yes, that's true. Both Bad and A Sort of Homecoming from Wide Awake in America were actually studio takes. I was interested in the "A Sort of Homecoming (Live at Wembley)" that downloaded with my first dl attempt (that ended up being a blank 12 second track) but the track they replaced it with was clearly just the WWIA track (even named, simply, "Live").

I would have loved less in the remix realm and a ZooTV show and a UF tour show to round out the live offerings. Maybe a Live Box will be made available some day.

First, the Lemon (perfecto Mix) problem is no more. So email customer service and redowwnload it if you haven't yet.

Second, the first few seconds of Sunday Bloody Sunday on both War and Best of 1980-1990 are cut off. I emailed them, hopefully this will be fixed, it sounds very bush league.

anyone have problems with this Corpse (These chains are way too long) from passengers. about 35-40 seconds in, its gags, and then goes to the next song. If i fast forwad past that point, i can listen to the end. maybe a faulty download on my part?

also, how is iTunes customer service? anyone get their problems solved, and were allowed to redownload the songs that gave them fits?

damn

ok so i can play Corpse just fine through itunes

but on my ipod it gags at 34 seconds, then goes to another song?

are there any saavy ipod users out there that have an idea how to correct this?

BonoFan78,

I emailed the support about the Lemon (perfecto mix) screwup. They responded quickly and allowed me to download the track again. However, when i downloaded it, it was the 2:05 long Live version, again. So I emailed again, and now i'm in the process of being transferred to their "engineers."

Louis

Has anyone complied a complete list of errors with The Complete U2 yet? I am just trying to get a list to check by before I email iTunes with the problems I am having. This is whatI have so far:

1. A Sort of Homecoming (Live from Wembley) is only 12 seconds
2. New York (Live from Farmclub.com) cut off at 30 seconds
3. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple bar Mix) is actually Paint It Black
4. Lemon (Perfecto Mix) has been replaced with Hasta La Vista Version on both Melon and Lemon Remixes
5. Corpse plays for only 30 seconds

If I am missing any, please add them.

The first four errors have all apparently been corrected. Lemon (Perfecto Mix) is now listed at 8:57. #1 - #3 are all resolved - mine all downloaded fine. Haven't tried Corpse yet, but what I'd do is manually manage your Ipod, then delete that song and reload it. Probably a problem transferring it.

The only thing I'll add is what I pointed out before - the first second or 2 of Sunday Bloody Sunday is missing on both "War" and on "Best of 1980-1990". It misses the first 2 drumbeats and cuts in abruptly, which I know it should not do. Still haven't heard from them about this issue.

I've manually deleted it, and reloaded. Same problem. I just find it strange it works in iTunes but not on the iPod.

I also checked my SBS versions on War and Best of, and I have the same problem as pghas.

And the Lemon Perfecto mixes on Melon and Lemon Remixes are the same as the 2+min version on Hasta La Vista.

I will email iTunes also, so they see that it's not just one person having the problem.

They fixed the Lemon problem for me promptly. Its now up on the site correctly and can then be re-downloaded as such, so that won't be an issue.

The SBS thing, however, hasn't been resolved at all and its been almost 48 hours.

if you go to redownload them, will it recognize that you've already downloaded it before, and therefore not charge you for the corrected song?

or do i need to wait for iTunes customer service to get back to me, and give me permission to do so?

You know, I've ripped about 4000 tracks into iTunes myself, and I've never had any of these problems:

Tracks cut short, tracks that freeze mid-song.

You would think that if you were going to charge $150 for a boxset you could pay some monkey to listen to the whole freakin' thing and make sure all of the tracks are actually the correct track and play all the way through.

Apple and U2 should be embarrassed at all of these screw-ups.

For what it's worth, my copy of Corpse plays all the way through on both iTunes and the iPod, but there is a loud 'pop' at 0:34.

OK, I'm off to rip these tracks from my own CDs.:mad:

if they've corrected it for you, you should be able to click on the check for purchased music line under advanced (i think) and it will automatically download the corrected tracks. Otherwise you'll be charged.

So anyway, now I check for "purchased music" and the live version of SBS which was normal to begin wth downloads. Still no sign of the studio version yet, but maybe they're working on it.

News!!

If you go to www.musictap.com (a great music news site, btw) they are looking for other peoples comments/feedback on the u2 set. I had emailed them about the problems and they're going to look into it. Please drop them an email and report your experiences (good or bad) with th set and perhaps with some press coverage we'll get a bit more response from the iTMS.

I had told them not only about the problems but also asked them investigate the following:
1. Were the tracks in any way re-mastered, or are these pretty much just rips from a CD?
2. What happened to cause all these problems. Was any quality control done at all? It's a lot of tracks, but imagine if this were a CD box set... these kinds of things would be inexcusable.
3. It's not truly a "complete" U2 set by a longshot. Most covers (Dancing Barefoot, Satellite of Love, Unchained Melody, etc) left out, plus several known mixes of some songs have been left out. (The Lemon "Lemonade" mix and the Numb "Perfecto" mix, for example.) Why?
4. U2 have announced they will be releasing shows via iTunes of their upcoming tour. Any chance of releasing a show from every tour prior to this one (the Lovetown show and Boston show from the box set are a great start)?

I am hoping that if musictap (and also icemagazine.com, which runs a monthly column on CD/recording screwups) will contact Island and get some information. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how the label responds to some bad PR regarding the set's quality control.

www.musictap.com
www.icemagazine.com

Both great for new release info, targeted toward collectors in particular. Musictap has a nice review of HTDAAB as well!

jmelrose

I finally received an email about the SBS issue (the song being cut at the beginning) - they're sending that one along to the "engineers" and that will hopefully help resolve the problem.

Totally agree with you on the live releases - I was thinking and hoping they'd do that instead of all those remixes, which are fun and nice to have, but the entire Red Rocks show (which I used to have on cassette but was, like much of my U2 collection over the years, pilfered) for example, of which the stuff that DIDN"T make it onto the album is equally if not more impressive, would have been a better idea. I also agree that a ZooTV show and Live at Slane or Boston would have been great as well, though I do like what we got.

Sent today re: SBS

"Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with "Sunday Bloody Sunday" from the albums "The Complete U2-War" and "The Complete U2-The Best of 1980-1990." The iTunes Music Store engineering team has evaluated this title and could find no anomalies with it.

We have verified that this album is available on the iTunes Music Store as the record label intended. In order to make individual tracks from albums such as this available on the iTunes Music Store, the songs are separated by the record label at the time of encoding.

You can set iTunes' preferences for crossfade playback to zero, which will minimize the gap between the songs when playing through iTunes. When burning to audio CD, you can set the gap between songs to "none."

The iTunes Music Store Team welcomes your comments and suggestions regarding the iTunes Music Store. To ensure your feedback is considered for possible product enhancements, please visit the iTunes Feedback page:
<http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html>

The catalog of songs grows every week. Visit often to preview the latest:
<http://www.apple.com/music/store/>

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team"

I received a similar email but with much less explanation. So my question is, having lost my origibnal copy of War, is there in fact an inappropriate cut at the beginning of the song as sold by itunes, or is this the way the song is on the album?

No, it's definitely NOT the correct way. I sent a pretty firmly worded letter to itunes that the lack of resolution was unacceptible, and would prevent me from buying the set for my brother this Christmas. Anyway pghas, drop me an email and maybe I can help out with getting an appropriately recorded/encoded version to you... I have the gold Masterdisc CD which I am going to re-rip anyway. I am currently using the Masterdisc version of The Joshua Tree with loseless encoding so it's like carrying the CD at only a fraction (although a big fraction) of the space. Ditto for U.F.

pghas said:
I received a similar email but with much less explanation. So my question is, having lost my origibnal copy of War, is there in fact an inappropriate cut at the beginning of the song as sold by itunes, or is this the way the song is on the album?

Anybody know whether SBS was remastered for Best of 80-90. I replaced the (obviously flawed) track from The Complete U2 with one I had already ripped from War.

However, if the "Best of" version has been remastered, maybe I should use that one?

Thanks.

When you replaced the flawed track with the one you'd ripped from War, did you notice that itunes, regardless of how you numbered the track, placed it as the LAST track on the album when it should be first? Its as though only the flawed version that came with The Complete U2 is accepted as track 1 of 10. Completely bizarre, never seen itunes so annoying. All I really want is to be able to listen to the full song as the first one on the album. As it is now, while I have the full SBS, it loads into my ipod as the last song on the album.

pghas said:

SBS is the FIRST song on War. How could they make this claim if it's the first friggin' song on the CD?

I assume that they took both copies of the song off of Best 0f 80-90, since it's the same error. I'll have to go back and listen again; maybe the first few milliseconds of SBS are stuck to the end of ISHFWILF on "Best of?"

Last edited:
pghas said:
When you replaced the flawed track with the one you'd ripped from War, did you notice that itunes, regardless of how you numbered the track, placed it as the LAST track on the album when it should be first? Its as though only the flawed version that came with The Complete U2 is accepted as track 1 of 10. Completely bizarre, never seen itunes so annoying. All I really want is to be able to listen to the full song as the first one on the album. As it is now, while I have the full SBS, it loads into my ipod as the last song on the album.

It shows up as the first track on mine, but you have to make ALL of the album info identical, including year of release and disc number (35 of 67 or whatever) for iTunes to recognize it as belonging to the same album.

I did ALL of that. I actually just broke down and bought SBS from itunes again but from "War" which has the full version. I've made ALL the other information identical, and it includes the song as part of the album, but automatically places it at the end of the album. Must have to do with their encoding I guess. I didn't want to trouble jmelrose for a copy, but maybe that will work.

My suggestion is to highlight all tracks of the album "The Complete U2-War"and there is probably one tag that is different from the rest. It may be as small as an extra space or something. The tag that is different between SBS and the rest of the album is the one you should re-type in so it's the same for ALL the tracks. If you try to change one track at a time you won't be able to identify the wayward tag, however...

I already tried that, but maybe I'm missing something. The same happened when I copied the track and tried to add it to "The Best of 1980-90". And it does in fact recognize it as part of War when just that album is highlighted. It just won't put it as the first track.
Oh well, I'm not at home now, so I'll have to try it later. Thanks for the input though.

Back
Top Bottom