LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he looked like Antonio Banderas in The Mask of Zorro, I don’t think this would be notable. But when you come off more like someone’s bloated and drunk uncle it has a different effect.

It’s times like these that make me wonder if Bono only befriended Warren Buffett because he thought the man’s last name was pronounced differently.

The real concern is Larry Mullen having a pirate beard, wearing rainbow suspenders, and a shot necklass.....

it's a caribbean carnival. as someone who lives a block away from where they hold the largest one in north america, trust me that's pretty tame and normal considering what he could be wearing.

Yeah, he could be wearing nothing but beads. :yikes: Good luck getting that image out of your mind.

He does seem to gain weight really fast after a tour ends, but I guess everyone tends to gain weight when they're on vacation. They must feed him special Bono Chow on the road.

Last edited:
Agreed. If they start working in 2020, they will TRY to have it out by the end of 2021. And we all know how that goes.

Yeah, if they start next year, they'll start over a few times and it won't be out before 2022. The next tour might not be until 2023 if that's the case.

I just want U2 to be like Grateful Dead in the farewell tour, no-pre planned setlist, 10 minute solos for each songs, etc

Was listening to Songs of Innocence today after a very long time. I’m shocked at just how vanilla and dull it is. Slap bang middle of the road music - incredibly disappointing and shockingly unambitious, it is without doubt the worst album U2 have ever released.

They clawed it back somewhat with Songs of Experience, quite a feat after the risible singles that were released prior to it, but in particular, Love Is All We Have Left, Lights of Home, The Little Things and 13 saved their bacon considerably.

They have to take a much more adventurous route for the next album. That doesn’t mean reverting back to 90s electronica (that phase as great as it is is over) but doing something very unique and original. It’s just a shame then that the original conception of No Line never really came to fruition as they decided to bring in coffee salesman Will.I.Am to help them write shit songs. But something along the lines of ‘futuristic hymns’ or immersing themselves in Arabic folk music with Eno and Lanois was something to really get excited about, and if they’d only developed that concept more comprehensively and not resorted to pathetic ‘rawk’ music that fucked the album up, it could have been their best work since the early 90s.

I don’t need to hear another U2 song with a big pop chorus and Chris Martin style ‘woahs’ ever again. They’ve done all that, they should have a bit more fun and adventure next time around - I’d rather a studio album with no concern for how it should sound live, a bit like how Bowie made Blackstar. Lord knows why they’d continue making MOR radio baiting songs when they don’t even get played in radio anymore. Unless they want to cater to Cliff Richard loving Radio 2 fans.

And for god sake, stick to one or two producers rather than a billion. Too many cooks is what ultimately ruined the Innocence and Experience project, along with ultimately shocking creative voids at the helm like Ryan Tedder.

An album with Andy Barlow, who is really the only producer to come out of the entire sessions with a greater reputation, would be interesting. Going back to Eno and Lanois would be exciting too (as said No Line had the potential but the band themselves fucked it up) or at least a modern producer of exciting talent, like Jon Hopkins or the fantastic Erland Cooper who combines ambient with folk.

Perhaps an introspective ‘folktronica’ album is in order - keeping up with their musical invention and creating folk songs with a modern twist, they’re from a country where they could really plunder into their cultural backwaters.

Last edited:
I can’t really argue with your overall criticisms of the recent work, but Raised By Wolves, Sleep Like A Baby, and This Is Where... are pretty damned far from middle of the road, and I’d argue more fresh-sounding and sonically interesting than all the SOE tracks you singled out. Having said that, I do prefer the songs on the second album more in total.

Same feeling here. Not much love for SOI but SOE was a welcome recovery.

Much of SOI seems forced to me. The last few songs save it which is interesting since I then like a lot more of SOE.

That's a fucking good take right there, MattD.

I'd say less in SOE's favour, and would nominate 13 as a leading example of the band's current shortcomings, but concur wholly with the overall sentiment.

nominate 13 as a leading example of the band's current shortcomings

Rehashing a prior song, what's not to love.

I recall a fan review of SOE made a comment in relation to 13 along the lines of "it's a pity SFS exists because this is so much better". I agree with that. 13 is beautiful. SFS is OTT.

I'd rather gnaw off my own nuts than listen to either song, but each to their own.

I don’t understand the praise for SOE and simultaneous hate for SOI.

SOI seemed better to me. But they’re comparable and not quite memorable in the grand scheme.

SOI seemed better to me. .

Agree, SOI while not great as a whole has much greater peaks, SOE settles firmly at the bottom of their catalog for me. I especially don't get the high praise Love is Bigger gets...song is complete dreck if you ask me.

love is bigger than anything in its ass is a terrible, horrifically maudlin song and people here overrate it wildly. it sounds like coldplay tried and failed to write a U2 song and then gave it back to U2 to record and they just did it note-for-note.

little things is not only far and away the best song on SOE, but it's easily the best song U2 has written since 1997 1999 (edit: forgot about the ground beneath her feet for a sec). it's absolutely mindboggling why they seem to have totally lost interest in it. it's like if they played streets a couple times in 1985 on the UF tour before anybody had heard the song and then decided it sucks because the crowd didn't already know all the words by heart.

Last edited:
Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way isn't ass, but it's, uh, not great, and definitely massively overrated. It's a shame because the melody is really good, but the lyrics are so corny. It's like someone won a U2 parody contest.

love is bigger than anything in its ass is a terrible, horrifically maudlin song and people here overrate it wildly. it sounds like coldplay tried and failed to write a U2 song and then gave it back to U2 to record and they just did it note-for-note.

little things is not only far and away the best song on SOE, but it's easily the best song U2 has written since 1997 1999 (edit: forgot about the ground beneath her feet for a sec). it's absolutely mindboggling why they seem to have totally lost interest in it. it's like if they played streets a couple times in 1985 on the UF tour before anybody had heard the song and then decided it sucks because the crowd didn't already know all the words by heart.
I'll disagree with paragraph 1, while giving a hearty fuck yea it is to paragraph 2.

SOE shits on SOI.

Red Flag Day
Love is All We Have Left
Little Things
The Blackout
Love is Bigger

All better than anything on SOI.

SOE has some of the worst music this band has ever put out, just short of Boots and SUC.

There are some great highs as others have noted, but Best Thing, Get Out and American Soul make the album virtually unlistenable all the way through. And the Showman? Wow.

Maybe I’m just really easy to please, but I really like both albums... [emoji848]

Except I think The Miracle is an absolute dud of a song. Not deplorable like Boots or SUC.

SOI seemed better to me. But they’re comparable and not quite memorable in the grand scheme.
One is newer than the other so fans aren't ready to process its flaws yet. Happens with every new U2 album. NLOTH was treated like a brilliant, artistic return to form until SOI. SOI was a focused masterwork following the inconsistent mess of NLOTH until SOE.

I was 'processing' its flaws the day of its release. Like with all their albums.

If anything, I think time can be a good thing for some albums. Pop is an easy example.

I will rate SOI over SOE simply because SOI has Cedarwood Road and The Troubles, the two 2010s songs I will come in to bat for as worthy of standing alongside U2's past output.

Little Things is boring as arse for half its length, and then it sounds like somebody tried to warm up good U2 but didn't put the microwave on for long enough.

Love Is Bigger, yeah I'm one of its fans and consider it the best song on SOE, or second to The Blackout, but DaveC's description of it is pretty accurate tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom