LP13 - Still Waiting - 1980 days since Bono announced Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was proper for them to finally credit them. They always wrote with Eno and Lanois to one extent or another. From TUF all the way to ATYCLB. They just never gave them writing credits before NLOTH.

Besides that, let's get real. They've got just two guys writing songs and one of them can barely play a guitar/piano. They NEED the help. All this MOR-type material of the last 15 years is the result of that, IMO, more than anything else. Edge is having to come up with virtually all of the music ideas (apart from Bono) when Eno/Lanois aren't around to contribute ideas. And they're having to please Adam and especially Larry's more conventional ears. And the more ideas, the better. It's not like they're outsourcing the actual songwriting to pop hacks like Desmond Child, they're just inviting people into the creative process to help inspire them to write their own stuff.

The best thing Eno often did for them was give them an atmospheric to play around in. That's when they were at their best. A loop, a motif, a synth. Something. I'm hoping Brian Burton did something similar.

I too would love to see a legit reinvention. But it's not going to happen. If you're expecting a far cry from Invisible or Ordinary Love on this next album you might as well prepare yourself to be disappointed. I'm not. And so my hopes are that there are 4 or 5 songs I really enjoy, about like NLOTH. I already expect a fair amount of eyerolling moments.

agreed...but it makes me sad

agreed...but it makes me sad

No hope of a total departure of the last three albums but if they take this long maybe just maybe they are dreaming it up again! But what new direction could they possibly go? Country? That would be horrible hip hop? Or dance? Or rap? Lol those would be horrible too at their age. But thank god they wouldn't do rap! So they can't possibly go any other direction! They've done it all. My hope (even though it would be a little cliche) is that they go back to the style of work they did in the 90's. This for me was by far my favorite U2 era. BUT not going to happen.

There's almost guaranteed to be several clunkers. Maybe not on the same level as the unholy trinity of Boots/Cwazy/SUC(K), but they'll be a few to keep the skip button dutifully employed. But four or five truly standout songs that belong with the very best of their catalog will make it all seem worthwhile.

I would appreciate a consistent-sounding album, which seems insane at this point.

"several clunkers" "eye-rolling moments" "skip button dutifully employed" -- not a lot of optimism tonight, but several chuckles from the collective creativity -- well played.

Sadly I too am in the camp of expecting several songs that won't transfer to my iStuff which means I'll have to tell a few friends, "yep, that one sucks, but the concert should still be great"

Kind of an agonizing wait, but indeed after all these years, U2 owes me nothing -- it's been a better deal for me.

I think we're better off keeping expectations at a minimum. U2 don't owe me anything either, but after hearing 'Invisible' and 'Ordinary Love', I wanted more. All I want is another new song, to say the least.

Sadly I too am in the camp of expecting several songs that won't transfer to my iStuff which means I'll have to tell a few friends, "yep, that one sucks, but the concert should still be great"

Kind of an agonizing wait, but indeed after all these years, U2 owes me nothing -- it's been a better deal for me.[/QUOTE]

I also think they don't owe me nothing. Why would they? They've given me so many great moments. Far more that from any other artist; musician, writer, film maker, painter... No other artist have had such a big impact in my life. And I will always be grateful for that. Even if they didn't release anything anymore.

That said, I do have a good gut feeling about what's going to happen. They have something big cooking. And I'm 90% sure it's going to be similar to JT -> AB. Can't wait for all the reviews which will have the tone: "U2 did it again". "World's biggest band just reinvented themselves again"... etc.

We will be happy campers this fall!

People here are aware that songs like "Invisible" and "Ordinary Love" reflect the direction U2 are taking with a Danger Mouse produced album (or half album, whatever)? I can't believe some of you are starting to want the old production team back.

Btw, I got more positive response to Ordinary Love, especially in connection to the Mandela movie, from non-U2-fans than to most other U2 songs, with the exception maybe to some "classics". It has been on the radio a lot. I haven't heard from any non-fan who totally hated the song.

Apart from people on this forum no one hates any U2 song.
Not even Ian McCulloch and Henry Rollins.
At least these last 2 have shit they try to sell us, I'm not sure what the motives are of fans here for incessant whining.

Btw, I got more positive response to Ordinary Love, especially in connection to the Mandela movie, from non-U2-fans than to most other U2 songs, with the exception maybe to some "classics". It has been on the radio a lot. I haven't heard from any non-fan who totally hated the song.

how many "non-fans" did your survey include?

I'd like to support Last unicorn here. My non-fan friends either like or love Ordinary Love. I'd like to state for the record that I love it too, and I'd be so pleased with an album that sounds like that and Invisible. Both songs are top-tier U2 in my opinion.

I wonder if U2 have learnt something from the secretive band called Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk never give out information about new albums and are so secretive on album recordings. Kraftwerk are almost mythical where they only released two albums in 20 years and the band does selective shows at art galleries or selective music festivals. It works for Kraftwerk to keep thier fans interested for so long. U2 have been fans of Kraftwerk for years which has become inspiration for the more expertimental U2 tracks. U2 are seeking artistic inspiration to release album that will be known for like forever not just another U2 album, which every one has.:reject:

Danger Mouse has been seen at Bono's House in Southern France. Danger Mouse is working with U2 in France within the last month. U2 are finishing the album in France: 'kay
According to this tweeter’s web profile he works for a company that “Formed to organise & manage artist’s schedules & Itineraries, the ethos of MBA is to promote and develop the careers of all featured artists, helping them to achieve the greatest possible experience from their lives as professional musical entertainers.”
So… there’s some scheduling going on? Is it possible the imminent U2 record is actually imminent and not just smoke? Beats me. Maybe. Looks like Brian’s still at least around, probably providing opinions.
I hope DM’s not going to be too jet-lagged for Lolla, ‘cause Bono seems to be in the South of France…:wave:

Comment posted on danger Mouse that dude tumblr that Danger Mouse was in Southern France at Bono's house working on new album: 'kay
According to this tweeter’s web profile he works for a company that “Formed to organise & manage artist’s schedules & Itineraries, the ethos of MBA is to promote and develop the careers of all featured artists, helping them to achieve the greatest possible experience from their lives as professional musical entertainers.”
So… there’s some scheduling going on? Is it possible the imminent U2 record is actually imminent and not just smoke? Beats me. Maybe. Looks like Brian’s still at least around, probably providing opinions.
I hope DM’s not going to be too jet-lagged for Lolla, ‘cause Bono seems to be in the South of France…:wave:

Danger Mouse has been seen at Bono's House in Southern France. Danger Mouse is working with U2 in France within the last month. U2 are finishing the album in France: 'kay

Comment posted on danger Mouse that dude tumblr that Danger Mouse was in Southern France at Bono's house working on new album: 'kay

that's old news dude, keep up!

Actually, OL is still getting some radio space here, and the song was surprisingly well received. I had at least five different people talking about the "new U2 song" to me. And when I asked if they liked it, the answer was: "of course, it's U2".

Which makes me think that the die hard fans are the hard ones to get. Everyone else likes U2 but us.

I like U2

PS: thank you CosmoKraner, I didn't remember the music title from Passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It is being played on the radio here, well on old people radio. :wink: The more modern station played Invisible a couple days ago, that was nice. And they occasionally play Discotheque and Electrical Storm. :drool:

it's getting a fair bit of airplay here in France too - i often hear it when i'm out and about, in the supermarket etc. :D

(Ordinary Love that is, i've never heard Invisible being played i don't think)

U2Valencia reports that Mark Romanek ('Invisible' director) was in Dublin last week-end.

He could be there on vacation, but still.

It seems that no matter what your opinion is of U2's latest offerings - we all seem to agree that the album will have at least a few (or more) clunkers.

That seems like a reasonable assumption until you think about the amount of time they have worked on this thing. How is it possible to have five years to work on 10 to 12 songs and not have them all be at least a "5" or above. Just boggles the mind really.

But the last three albums prove that either they don't recognize their own clunkers, or the rest were even worse. I can't believe there weren't better songs than Grace, or Standup Comedy, or One Step Closer, etc..., etc...

Wow, looking over the last three albums, I have to say that HTDAAB is the most consistent album of the last three.
ATYCLB I would toss Peace on Earth and Grace (wild honey is on the edge...)
NLOTH I would toss Unknown Caller, Crazy, Boots and Stand Up...

Even with my overall blah feeling about Invisible and OL, I do have a bit of a hopeful feeling that I will be pleasantly surprised with this album. I'm thinking if there are any "clunkers" they will be at least listenable, like the ones on Dismantle.

If first single is coming in September/Early October, a Video MUST have been done for it already...and since the band's whereabouts have been tracked on a regular basis for while they must have done it quickly and under the radar...

Beautiful Day was shot in August 2000 and single came out October 9th 2000...
Whereas Invisible was shot right before it was aired on the Super bowl so I guess time between video shoots and single coming out can change and there is no pre-determined timeframe for this...

When were U2 rumoured to play at London Club this fall ? September 4th ?
Could very well be their video shoot if single comes out First week of October...:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom