Invisible Discussion Thread II (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"It'll be done in a couple months. It's finished when it's finished. But ya know... things can change." Seems pretty noncommittal.

"Album to be done in a couple of months"

Damn then he says " it's finished when it's finished"

:)

The reason I didn't respond to the "It sounds Buddhist" comment is b/c I think it's pointless to try to speculate as to the "meaning" of this song, especially this early on. Fair enough to say I'm not sure I agree with your analysis...or that the sentiment as intended in the song is Buddhist (though I agree in general it can be interpreted the latter way). There is no "right" answer, and if the song is any good then in can be interpreted in many ways. Though my suspicion is that U2 intends it to be about the world's poor.

In any event, at the moment, the "There is no them, there is only us" is attached very much to the "charity" song, and Africa AID, all all the other sentiments U2 has been associated with along those lines...and for now I'll take it at face value that that's the way they intend it here.

BTW, despite the "father" reference in this song, I largely thought of it as Bono speaking in the third person. It's hard to imagine Bono is singing about himself here. If he's singing about his own father, I guess I'd be a little disappointed that he's returning to that thematic ground yet again. And I'm not quite sure I'm willing to concede that every time Bono yells out "Father" he's talking about Bob Hewson. I'd like to think he has more lyrical range than that.

He talked about the song already...pretty much confirming it involves their relationship.

"It opens with, 'It's like the room just cleared of smoke/I didn't even want the heart you broke/It's yours to keep/You just might need one,'" he says. "Then it goes, 'I finally found my real name/I won't be me when you see me again/No, I won't be my father's son.'"

Bono pauses. "That's a heavy thing, I realize, as a father myself — to not take your family name, you know? I'm known as Bono. And I realize now that all the angst and rage I had at that time," during his youth, "must have really hurt (my father). I thought my family was the problem, but I was the problem. A typical thing."

Now breathe boom cha

Great great tune I still listen to this a lot.

I think that's all we're going to get.. talk will shift to Oscars or something..

It's too bad the surprise drop tomorrow is incredibly unlikely, not just because we'd all get to hear it, but because what bigger flash of lightning promotion can you get than this download and then immediate release?

Breathe :drool:

Silliest idea for a working title of the still untitled album: Insecurity.

Bono speaking about the image of a security guy wearing a jacket that has INSECURITY written on its back :lol:

Still, album not ready, no title .... so nothing new here.

Breathe on now :love:

Only bummer about this and recent interviews is that Bono is inspired by thinking back on experiences from 30 years ago as an unknown going to London. Trying to contrast that with how bands like Arcade Fire are writing and being inspired by what's going on today

Not making a judgement that one is better than the other but if the band is striving for relevance, perhaps the lifestyles they live today due to great wealth and success make it harder for them to relate to THIS moment and force them to look back to be inspired musically

Back
Top Bottom