I Hate Bono and Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hate in a U2 forum? Not fitting!

Ok, I do hate lima beans.

Liesje said:
I only *hate* people that have no regard for human life. I don't think Bono or Larry qualify...

*ahem* didn't larry wear a "kill bono" t-shirt once?

They annoy me sometimes (Bono for cheesy photo opps with Oprah and Larry whose primary concern is radio friendliness)

But I can't say I hate them. They are like annoying brothers that I love anyway.

To the original point, I suppose it's possible to hate a band member and still be a fan of the band. I know LA Laker fans who can not stand Kobe Bryant

U2Man said:

*ahem* didn't larry wear a "kill bono" t-shirt once?

and...? I have a t-shirt from my college's Republican party that I'm definitely NOT part of :giggle:

Anyway, I suppose it's possible to hate/strongly dislike one or more members of the band and still like the band. The music is different than any one person's character. I love The Killers but besides Brandon Flower, I cannot look at the band without grimacing. I listen to the music and forget about the individual members.

Yeah, if you hate half the band, I think it's common sense that you're less of a fan than someone who loves them all.

Let's just say I have a lot of question marks about how much you like the band if you hate Larry and strongly dislike Bono.

Didn't your kindergarten teacher ever give you her stern 'teacher look', wag a finger at you, and give you the 'hate is a strong word, young lady' speech? I guess I always thought of it as being reserved for people who are somewhat evil. Maniacal dictators and whatnot, you know the type. Just idle curiousity, what did Larry do to make you hate him? I'm envisioning a scenario where he cut you off in traffic while screaming "Larry Mullen Band foreveeeer!", but maybe it's just past my bedtime.

martha said:

How do you know a complete stranger well enough to use the word hate?

I find hate to be a mild word for a variety of reasons. So Larry is in the middle of the spectrum. I think Larry has dragged the band into the mud musically and in many other ways. If someone did that to one of your favorite artists wouldn't you strongly dislike or even hate them?

I'm really intrigued by the responses so far. I hope to see more.

Uh, by the way dietcokeofevil, I'm a guy. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:
I think Larry has dragged the band into the mud musically and in many other ways. If someone did that to one of your favorite artists wouldn't you strongly dislike or even hate them?

Dislike, ok. Annoyed by, fine. Hate, no.

And if a band I liked kept getting worse, I'd probably stop being a fan. It's happened.

I'm one of these people who doesn't find "hate" to be as harsh a word as some other people do. For me, it can be used in two contexts: the truly nasty sort of hate that some people have already condemned on this thread, and then the hate in the sense of "I hate carrots". I don't just dislike carrots, I hate them. But it's certainly nothing like the sort of hate that drives people into a frenzy! So I'm using the "I hate carrots" meaning here.

Screwtape2 said:
In general, do you consider people who hate a band member or two any less of fans?

Not at all. It doesn't sway me either way. There are fans out there who profess to love all the band members, but they're such blind followers that they cannot conceive of U2 doing any wrong and will distort reality to suit their illusion. Then there are "fans" out there who seem to just criticise. Both bug me.

And I don't believe in a hierarchy of fans either. If someone doesn't like Larry, are they any less of a fan? That to me is just as silly a question as "if someone doesn't know that the most frequently performed song from Pop is Gone, are they any less of a fan?" And in any case, you don't need to like the individuals to love the music. A perfect example is the black metal genre in general. A lot of the people who make that sort of music are downright creeps (Varg Vikennes being the perfect example, a neo-Nazi fuckwit who went to jail for murdering a bandmate), but if you like the actual sound of the music, I find most black metal listeners just don't even concern themselves with the musician and focus solely on the music and what it means to them personally.

Do you hate any members of U2?

Yes, Larry should just fuck off. I have a very low opinion of everything he's done post-RAH and I feel he has held U2 back. I would be happy if he were replaced. However, as it's unlikely that U2 would go on if they lost a member, I'd rather he stuck around so that we can at least get hints of what U2 goodness there could be rather than nothing at all.

If so, do you consider yourself more of fan for being honest or less of one for not loving all members of that band?

Neither, per my reasons above. It's just my opinion, and being honest about it has no bearing on how much of a fan of U2.

Though I'm well aware I'm not as much a fan of U2 as I used to be, nor am I nearly as much of a fan (except with regards to setlists, which still keep me massively interested) than a lot of people here.

Actually, Larry and Bono are my 2 favorites from the group :p

My respect for Larry Mullen shot up tremendously after he apologized on national television for the U2.com ticket disaster.

As for Bono, well... c'mon, it's frickin' Bono :wink:

Why should larry fuck off and how does he drag the band through the mud? I really want to understand this. thanks

Screwtape2 said:
In general, do you consider people who hate a band member or two any less of fans? Do you hate any members of U2? If so, do you consider yourself more of fan for being honest or less of one for not loving all members of that band?

If you hate what the band member plays, their style or whatever, something they do, okay, but to hate the person.

I might think less of the person doing the hating, depending on why they hate that person IMO. At times the reason for the hate is pretty lame.

Safe to say there are bands who have fans that really don't pay much attention to anyone else in the band other than the singer or lead guitarist.

Are the U2 fans who only know Bono and Edge, less of fans then the ones who can name all 4 including their middle names? Not really, they're just not fans of Adam and/or Larry, or they've yet to become fans of the others in the band.

I've really only come across a couple Adam haters, and from reading other posts from them on other topics, sometimes the person was just a nut-case to begin with. They'd hate Adam if he volunteered at a soup kitchen. Just mean spirited people.

Why hate the band member?

Hate what they do or don't do, but don't hate them. If it wasn't for all 4 members of U2, there would be no U2.

Wow, another dangerous issue.
I am surprised it's so calm around here. I expect all the Bono haters on this board to come out every second.
But Larry, come on?
I have more or less neutral feelings for this guy. I don't know him enough to love him and I don't know him enough to hate him.
There can be certain aspects to a person that I may dislike, but why hate the person as a whole?
If someone would do something to me personally or to someone I love, now that's a different story.
But they are "only" a band.
And I don't turn to a band if I have a dislike for its members. That won't work.

Some may say that hate is also a form of love.
Sometimes we have a strong hate for someone when in truth we love this person and don't want to admit it to ourselves.
It's a strong emotion.
I think indifference is worse than hate.

If you hate any of the band members and said band doesn't do it for you anymore for the past ___ (insert number here) years, maybe it's time to reconsider things and move on to other bands? :shrug:

Last edited:
Re: Re: I Hate Bono and Larry

Axver said:
I'm one of these people who doesn't find "hate" to be as harsh a word as some other people do. For me, it can be used in two contexts: the truly nasty sort of hate that some people have already condemned on this thread, and then the hate in the sense of "I hate carrots". I don't just dislike carrots, I hate them. But it's certainly nothing like the sort of hate that drives people into a frenzy! So I'm using the "I hate carrots" meaning here.

Not at all. It doesn't sway me either way. There are fans out there who profess to love all the band members, but they're such blind followers that they cannot conceive of U2 doing any wrong and will distort reality to suit their illusion. Then there are "fans" out there who seem to just criticise. Both bug me.

And I don't believe in a hierarchy of fans either. If someone doesn't like Larry, are they any less of a fan? That to me is just as silly a question as "if someone doesn't know that the most frequently performed song from Pop is Gone, are they any less of a fan?" And in any case, you don't need to like the individuals to love the music. A perfect example is the black metal genre in general. A lot of the people who make that sort of music are downright creeps (Varg Vikennes being the perfect example, a neo-Nazi fuckwit who went to jail for murdering a bandmate), but if you like the actual sound of the music, I find most black metal listeners just don't even concern themselves with the musician and focus solely on the music and what it means to them personally.

Yes, Larry should just fuck off. I have a very low opinion of everything he's done post-RAH and I feel he has held U2 back. I would be happy if he were replaced. However, as it's unlikely that U2 would go on if they lost a member, I'd rather he stuck around so that we can at least get hints of what U2 goodness there could be rather than nothing at all.

Neither, per my reasons above. It's just my opinion, and being honest about it has no bearing on how much of a fan of U2.

Though I'm well aware I'm not as much a fan of U2 as I used to be, nor am I nearly as much of a fan (except with regards to setlists, which still keep me massively interested) than a lot of people here.

I'm with you on this.
Though I wouldn't say I hate any of them, I certainly don't love any of them as much as I did. The Edge is still cool as fuck, ditto Adam, but Bono's shtick kind of annoys me a bit these days, but basically I still love the guy deep down. i was always quite neutral towards Larry, after Rattle and Hum, or maybe even as early as after October, I can't really hear what he brings to the table musically, but he seemed like a nice guy, so what the hell. These days though I see him as being too obsessed with playing it safe and reigning in Bono and Edge creatively, so therefore I blame him mostly for U2 going in a musical direction that I don't embrace with much enthusiasm. I don't want him to leave the band but I wish there could be a bit of a revolution in the band where Bono would say to him, "look, you're just the fucking drummer let me and Edge decide what kind of music U2 puts out".

Back
Top Bottom