Hypothetical thread: If U2 announced tour dates for 2004 ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcranston

The Fly
This is a hypothetical thread about the mild possibility of a tour next year. Pretend they announced the dates today, would you make an effort to go to the first show of the tour (assuming it wasn't on the other side of the world from you)? I live in Toronto and I would like to make an effort to get to the first show of the next tour as long as it is within North America which obviously isn't guaranteed. Even if I had the money or time I would consider flying overseas to see the first show but that's probably not gonna happen.

I'm curious what other people would do.

(btw, Janine - if you're reading this ... whattts up?)

I would LOVE to see the first show on the tour. If it happened anywhere in North America, I would probably go. :yes: Overseas would depend on my financial situation (pathetic right now) and a few other details, but would be great!

If the first show of the tour was at a city that was within driving distance of my town, hell, yeah, I'd definitely do what I could to go. :yes:.

But if it were far away, probably not.

And if it were overseas, forget it. Not that I wouldn't want to go overseas-I'd love to, but more that I couldn't afford to.

Angela

the first show would be cool, but usually it takes u2 a little while to get into a groove and get everything going perfect

if i had to choose id pick the last show over the fisrt show

I live in Toronto too, so seeing as how I haven't been to a U2 show in 6 years, it'll be great to catch the first show! It'll be amazing if the opening would be somewhere on the east coast.....then i can actually afford to go!

If I could afford to get there, I would most certainly go. The odds of me being able to afford it or borrow enough money off friends and family, however, are quite slim ...

Chizip said:
the first show would be cool, but usually it takes u2 a little while to get into a groove and get everything going perfect

if i had to choose id pick the last show over the fisrt show

I live in Florida, so I had the pleasure of going to both the Elevation opener and closer in Miami. It was almost a completely different kind of show (much of that due to 9-11) in December, whereas the first show in March was much more publicized and anticipated, and we had no idea what they would play, which was cool....I still can't decide which show I liked better, they both bring back lots of good memories...

I really want to go to the first show esp if it is in North America but I really have to see. If they play stadiums I will probably see fewer shows than Arenas.

I do know one thing though I really really want to go wherever U2 are if they play on Larry's b-day again :)

Hopefully they will play places jet blue flies to ha!

Only if it was within one-two days driving distance. I can't afford to fly and don't have a passport so I can't go outside of the US. I don't think I'd be too disappointed since by the time I see them, they'll probably be well-rehearsed.

Nope...can't spend that kind of money. I'll be lucky if I can afford to see them if they come relatively close to me (which would be Detroit).

I plan to see every gig they play in England if I can! could be London,Manchester,Birmingham its going to be my vacation next year! max the credit cards out!........weeps :yikes:

probably not. since i live in connecticut, i have opportunities to go to a BUNCH of shows... montreal, toronto even, boston, providence(if they go back), hartford, east ruthersford, new york and if i wanted to baltimore or philly...

Let me see what are the chances of u2 playing their first show in their homeland, ireland?? Slim to nil :hmm:

If the tour was in 2005 the year im in spain id go see them there if possible and come back home to see them if i could arrange holidays :hmm:

I probably couldn't do the first show but I would for sure go to the shows near me!! That is going to be expensive I think! :ohmy: Oh well it's all for a good cause.....U2 live!

what a bomb! said:
I plan to see every gig they play in England if I can! could be London,Manchester,Birmingham its going to be my vacation next year! max the credit cards out!........weeps :yikes:

Me too ticket situation permitting and if they play Paris definately those gigs were fantastic!!

Oh hell yeah!! I intend on seeing them as much as I possibly can on this next tour, driving, flying, staying with friends, whatever. My major focus at this time is to pay down my credit card so I can make that happen.

I fully intend to see as many shows as I can. I have not seen them live since Zoo TV. Real life got in the way for PopMart (a baby making her arrival!!) and we missed Elevation of course. Ah, the tyrranny of distance...:)

imogen said:
I fully intend to see as many shows as I can. I have not seen them live since Zoo TV. Real life got in the way for PopMart (a baby making her arrival!!) and we missed Elevation of course. Ah, the tyrranny of distance...:)

I had just had my daughter before the Leeds Popmart show, bless her she was only 6 weeks old and I went to see U2!!

Does that make me a bad mother???

I didn't really clarify. Personally, the chances of me flying anywhere are practically non-existant due to costs. Although it'd be awesome if I ever could. The reason why I'd want to go to the first show is because I'd have no idea what they would play. Although realistically, anybody who gests to see them at any show should be happy.

now if things work out... which they won't 'cause they never do when you want them to... u2 will announce tour dates around mid to late february... i'm coaching high school basketball, and i get paid for the entire season with one check at the end of the season... which is the end of feb. thus then... i could waste my extra cash flow on seeing u2 all over the country... or i could pay off my credit cards and student loans :shrug: eh... they can wait...

If the travel was reasonable, yes. That is to say, if I could drive there in less than 6 hours. If it was in the city I lived in (Toronto), I'd do it for sure, no matter what it costs.

I am not all that obsessed with seeing the first show. I prefer the ones later on in the tour, when the sets become tighter and new songs are added for more variety.

i would go wherever they would play but I would love to see them towards the end of the tour...like others have said, it takes a few shows to iron some things out.........like deciding to try playing Red Hill Mining town on this tour.........

Bono's Tart said:

I had just had my daughter before the Leeds Popmart show, bless her she was only 6 weeks old and I went to see U2!!

Does that make me a bad mother???

Not at all!!!!

Maybe there will come a time when your daughter will really like band and want to see them and you will let her and she will think your the coolest OR imagine int he future U2 will still tour (with like WAY more dignity than the rolling stones) and you can go to a show with your daughter. I think that would be cool.

i hope to see as many so cal dates as I can. if i can't get tickets for them then I will drive as far as i have to to get to at least one show.

My cousin and I have been planning for a year now about how we're going to get tickets and afford going to the opening show of the next tour. If they open it in North America, they'll probably do it in Florida. Just a guess based on past experience, nothing more. We're from Ohio, but we talked about making a whole vacation out of this supposed "Florida trip".

On Elevation, they played in Cleveland, Lexington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indianapolis and Chicago within the same week period, basically. These were all cities within reasonable driving distance. So I couldn't afford to go to that many shows since they were all at once. So I only made it to Columbus and Indianapolis, the 2 closest ones. (I also went to the South Bend show in October).

I would like to see more shows next tour. But if they do it like last time, they'll just hit up the entire midwest at once. Which makes sense for them, but it doesn't work for me well. I hope they play an arena/stadium combo tour. They'd probably do arenas in Ohio, but then I could go 5 hours to Chicago and see them in a stadium. That would be great.

Back
Top Bottom