How Should U2 Respond To The Tsunami Disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I don't think it's fair to be criticizing U2 b/c they haven't announced plans to put on a grand scale benefit concert yet.

I don't think anyone in this thread has criticized U2 for not taking action right now. Instead they have exchanged intelligent discussions on what possible ways U2 may contribute to the cause.

Cheers,

J

U2 will do something even if it's proceeds from one/some of their concerts or having the Red Cross number flash on a giant screen from the stage. That's just the way they are. Bono is fighting aganist poverty and for the poorest people around world. This disaster just created an additional, incredible number of poverty stricken people.
Whatever U2 decide to do they will reach a massive amount of people during their upcoming tour. It will all be good.

U2 have done enough for charity and now its really starting to piss me off! Bono and U2 are meant to be rock stars not the salvation army

I just don't like attributing relief efforts to a band playing on a stage thousands of miles away when there are people right in the middle of the situation separating the living from the dead, attempting to bring some order and comfort. We live in a time when media and technology can show us almost immediately what's happening on the other side of the world, unlike 20 years ago when Africa's troubles, or anyone's for that matter would take so much time and repeated attempts to give the proper exposure. That's why I am not really in favor of a relief concert at this time, because the tsunami disaster IS getting the proper attention at the right time, and donations ARE being given. If there was a lack of concern for the victims and the countries involved, then I'd be all for a concert, but that's not the case.

I am in favor of people using their talents (musicians and relief benefit concerts in this case) to help others, but the timing just doesn't seem right, right now. The money and attention is already there, so instead use the concert at a later time as a celebration for those who have survived. Just consider the timing of a concert that could be misunderstood as a ploy to make and have fun in the name of other people's suffering.

mofo82 said:
I am in favor of people using their talents (musicians and relief benefit concerts in this case) to help others, but the timing just doesn't seem right, right now. The money and attention is already there, so instead use the concert at a later time as a celebration for those who have survived. Just consider the timing of a concert that could be misunderstood as a ploy to make and have fun in the name of other people's suffering.

I never hinted at U2 playing a concert immediately. The timing has to be right. The troubles have just begun with the tsunami. It is the aftermath, the cleanup, the orphaned kids, and the possible diseases that will really do much damage and require a lot of support - perhaps in similar fashion to Live Aid. Perhaps a 20th Anniversary Live Aid Concert on July 13, 2005 for the Tsunami Victims and the starving in Africa. I think that might be a decent idea.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I never hinted at U2 playing a concert immediately. The timing has to be right. The troubles have just begun with the tsunami. It is the aftermath, the cleanup, the orphaned kids, and the possible diseases that will really do much damage and require a lot of support - perhaps in similar fashion to Live Aid. Perhaps a 20th Anniversary Live Aid Concert on July 13, 2005 for the Tsunami Victims and the starving in Africa. I think that might be a decent idea.

Cheers,

J

I like that idea Jick

jick said:

So here are the rich and capable Americans (economy-wise of course), their two taller buildings get hit by a plane and some 6,000 (10,000?) people die and then there are tribute concerts everywhere to raise money (Tribute To Heroes, Concert For NYC, etc.).

out of respect for the dead, you could at least get the number of victims correct.
It was closer to 3,000 total; not that you care.

a-hole.

JOFO said:

out of respect for the dead, you could at least get the number of victims correct.
It was closer to 3,000 total; not that you care.

a-hole.

Oh, Jick made his point clearly. And I happen to think it's a legitimate point. No need to nit-pick.

why is it that someone can get banned from this place by simplying posting "ja!" two dozen times, yet someone is allowed to constantly and purposely "stir the shit" on this forum and no action is ever taken?

u2 should do whatever the hell they want to do. if they don't want to do anything, then they shouldn't do anything. considering the history of the band, the thought that they'd do nothing is a very remote one.

instead of making ignorant comments regarding u2's post 9/11 shows and insinuating that it's U2's duty to in turn do something with this current disaster (and then, of course, saying that you never said that and that we are simply twisting your all too clear words)... why don't you just concentrate on what YOU yourself are doing. Frankly I think that we should all stop worrying about what someone else is doing to help the world and start worrying about what each and every one of us is doing on an individual basis.

The difference between the "ja" posts and Jicks posts are that Jick's post acctually have some substance and actually spurs some real conversation in here for a change. Whether he does it to "stir the shit" or because he genuinely feels that way, at least it's a real discussion going on and not just random shit posted because he wants attention.

Actually.. jick has had a 'vacation' from this forum in the past and has in fact been warned about his behaviour many times. Please dont assume that no action is taken as most do not know what goes on behind the scenes.

And you know dang well that that wasnt the only reason that person was banned Headache.

Some people are very good at stepping around the rules as to not exactly break them however perhaps its time for some to have another vacation.

Can we please not let this turn into one of those kinds of threads please? Some descent ideas have been contributed here in this thread, and I think most would like for it not to turn real ugly and get closed.

it's already turned into one of those threads... that was the entire point from the start.

i normaly ignore the stupidity, passing by with nothing more than a mocking "cheers, H" post...

but certain things set me off... such as trying to make an argument over "who's disaster is more important than the others," and then trying to hide behind denial.

when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck... god damn it, it's a friggin duck.

why are us brits givin 30 million to Ysunami when the yanks are only givin 15 million?? they are richer than us and should give like 40 million! money grabbing arseholes no affence but it was different when their ppl died!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
why is it that someone can get banned from this place by simplying posting "ja!" two dozen times, yet someone is allowed to constantly and purposely "stir the shit" on this forum and no action is ever taken?

u2 should do whatever the hell they want to do. if they don't want to do anything, then they shouldn't do anything. considering the history of the band, the thought that they'd do nothing is a very remote one.

instead of making ignorant comments regarding u2's post 9/11 shows and insinuating that it's U2's duty to in turn do something with this current disaster (and then, of course, saying that you never said that and that we are simply twisting your all too clear words)... why don't you just concentrate on what YOU yourself are doing. Frankly I think that we should all stop worrying about what someone else is doing to help the world and start worrying about what each and every one of us is doing on an individual basis.

:up: :up: :up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it's already turned into one of those threads... that was the entire point from the start.

i normaly ignore the stupidity, passing by with nothing more than a mocking "cheers, H" post...

but certain things set me off... such as trying to make an argument over "who's disaster is more important than the others," and then trying to hide behind denial.

when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck... god damn it, it's a friggin duck.

:up: :up: :up:

Kate1 said:
why are us brits givin 30 million to Ysunami when the yanks are only givin 15 million?? they are richer than us and should give like 40 million! money grabbing arseholes no affence but it was different when their ppl died!

perhaps you should get your figures correct before calling an entire country of people "arseholes".

the "yanks" are giving $350 million.

how much did you give?

Kate1 said:

Oh DEAR. A perfect example of aforementioned "shit-stirring". Facts would help! :huh:

According to the BBC, as of last night our (ie British) government contribution stood at£50 million ($96m). The US government have offered $350m (about £182.5m).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4137867.stm

Last edited:
It's amazing when people critisize a country (US..*cough cough*) for paying more attention to dissasters in their own country than in countries on the other side of the world. Well no shit! Any country is going to care more about events in their own borders. That's the reason why the whole world isn't one huge community! Sorry if America makes a big deal about terrorists attacking the most symbolic City in the nation, but aren't planning huge benefit concerts for something terrible that happens in Asia. I'm not saying we shouldn't help, because we are...sending millions upon millions of dollars in aid, but maybe our "Big brother" staus in the world is our own fault and sometimes we simply shouldn't be obligated to resolve all the world's ills.

Sorry...rant over.:|

Kate1 said:
U2 have done enough for charity and now its really starting to piss me off! Bono and U2 are meant to be rock stars not the salvation army

Yes. Damn Bono for actually wanting to use his position to attempt to help make the world a better place. What a terrible thing to do! Christ on a bike. That kind of stupid attitude really makes my blood boil. :mad: :rant: :banghead:

its been pretty much said before, but its unfair for anyone to assume u2 should do something about the tsunami. im sure they have made some donations on their own.

i think jick would have ripped u2 to shreds whether they did or didnt help out with the cause; as a band or each on their own.

damned if they do, damned if they dont.

i see jick as a trouble maker who needs another vacation.

Kate1 said:
well the figures have changed since last week how the hell am i supposed to know?

....:confused: news television, news radio, internet, newpapers...etc.

Back
Top Bottom