how come U2 never thank the fans at all these award shows? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:41 AM
As much as the band probably do want to win the awards, I am sure they think the awards shows are simply ridiculous (as many of us do.)

I would much rather stand in an arena, club, and stadium and hear a great version of Bad and then have the band thank me for sticking with them all these years.

I would actually prefer them not to thank me at an awards show, but simply mock it (like the Edge did last year.)

All awards are poop and this is proven by ALL the grammys, and many of the Oscars that were awarded last night...

Old 03-25-2002, 12:35 PM   #22
New Yorker

Yeah, I would rather hear Edge go on about the Orgasmatron or Bono swear about f-in' up the mainstream than to hear them thank everybody and start sobbing like they just won a beauty pagaent.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:52 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Just to add another perspective...

When a band or musician thanks their fans, it seems to me that they often do it because their fans are the only ones who like them. (Think of NSync always thanking their fans after winning an award.) I know that without fans, no band can be successful, but I hope you guys know what I'm trying to say...I think of Creed thanking their fans at the VH1 awards, and they pretty much were saying--thanks to the fans since no one else gives us any respect...

Anyway, I like what MissZ said about the private relationship between U2 and their fans. I think she's right on about that.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart
Old 03-25-2002, 01:09 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Hey i remember pondering if they ever did thank the fans at awards shows a few days ago...

It goes both ways i think. The band feeds of us, the fans and vice versa. They thank us best with giving us the music, and we best thank them by enjoying it, and being a part of the incredible story that started in 1976...

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998
Old 03-25-2002, 01:34 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 02:41 AM
I don't need a thank you from the band on an award show. Award shows are stupid, and the only reason I watch them are to see the band perform or present or whatever. It's cool if they win but I don't expect them to thank us.

The band thanks us by putting out music, giving us concerts, and in the USA this year, the possibility of seeing them multiple times if we so desire. Not to mention the Propaganda thing which is an added bonus.

And as previously stated they thank their fans, the ones that are paying to go to the shows. I think that shows the utmost appreciation from them.

Old 03-25-2002, 01:39 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I was there.. NOT pleasant.

AGREED

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01
Old 03-25-2002, 01:45 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This thread is funny... I specifically remember U2 thanking me. Of course, since I wrote all the music and lyrics, it's only natural that they do. They sure owe me one big royalty check though. I'm sure it's in the mail.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:29 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 10:41 AM
I would think they don't thank the fans at the award shows, because the fans don't give them those awards...the industry does. The "bigwigs" and whatnot (the association members) are the ones who vote for the winners....the fans have nothing to do with it.

As for mentioning that they have "the greatest fans in the world"...doesn't every band? (Just ask another band's devout)

As for Creed's thanking the fans at the VH-1 awards....weren't they the "My VH-1 Awards", which were decided by the fans? (which U2 lost to such as DMB?)

Just thinking....

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com
Old 03-26-2002, 02:10 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:41 AM
doctorwho, so were you the guy that Bono slapped at the Minneapolis 5/1/01 show??? Cuz that's what he was claming.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:04 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
doctorwho, so were you the guy that Bono slapped at the Minneapolis 5/1/01 show??? Cuz that's what he was claming.
No, that wasn't me. Bono slapped that fan because he was claiming something false. Bono knew that *I* wrote the songs - so how dare this other fan claim he did. Silly fan. I'm glad Bono slapped him.

Now, where IS that royalty check?
Old 03-26-2002, 04:57 PM   #31
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 04:41 AM
well I've never once heard Larry mention his dog or say anything kind about me, and Bono dosen't even admit to having a dog
Old 03-26-2002, 06:07 PM   #32
The Fly

When was the last time you saw U2 serious on one of these award shows? It almost seems like they're making a mockery of it. Just look at the last grammies, it took till the final award of the night for them to thank anyone and it took Adam to do it. Maybe, they take the fans for granted, but it seems to me they are so preoccupied with saying something humorous and interesting.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:58 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Why exactly did Bono slap that fan????
Old 03-26-2002, 10:06 PM   #34
MBH
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by qball7200:
When was the last time you saw U2 serious on one of these award shows? It almost seems like they're making a mockery of it. Just look at the last grammies, it took till the final award of the night for them to thank anyone and it took Adam to do it. Maybe, they take the fans for granted, but it seems to me they are so preoccupied with saying something humorous and interesting.

Their not making a mockery of it....they are just having fun with it. When you win so many damn awards the people in the crowd and at home tire of the same old "thank you" speeches. U2 comes up with funny, original and upbeat and truthful things to say. The last 2 grammies are evidence of my statement...