Honest Question - Are U2's best days behind them? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #41
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,044
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
its funny how most of the people who have been at this board the longest have found other bands to pretty much replace u2 as their favorite.
it's even funnier that when you ask them why this is it never ends with them not liking ATYCLB
there always seems to be the need to add that according to them U2 sold out, lost their artistic intergrity and that Bono isn't able to write a decent lyric even if Thom York (I thought about writing God, but his replacement on earth also works) would ask him to


I finally start to understand how 80's U2 fans reacted to Achtung Baby (by far U2's most commercial album upto that point)
__________________

__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,934
Local Time: 10:44 AM
No you never know what they might do and everyone likes different U2 "eras"
__________________

Laura M is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
flaming june's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: My room
Posts: 5,333
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Normal Wow, we have so many fortune tellers here!

[sarcasm]Let's all write a letter to Principle Management telling them to stop working on the new album. We all know it won't be as good as what they've done in the past and we want to live the rest of our life with the memories...[/sarcasm]

C'mon people, if U2 fans don't have faith in them, who will?!? How inspired would the guys feel if they read threads like these, from their so called "fans"???

Wertsie, I luv ya!

And you, Cow of the Seas. DO dig out that article, if you can find it.

P.S. Let's see how many of those who have said that the best days of the guys are behind them dare to praise the new album when it comes out and KICKS ASS.

Remember, as our wise president has said... the future will be better tomorrow.
flaming june is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #44
War Child
 
Cow of the Seas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Njosnavelin
Posts: 834
Local Time: 02:44 AM
this will get me flamed, but i truly believe u2 is only making music to:

a) make money

b) make music to support bono's causes. not the worst idea, for sure, but if you arent making music for the sake of making music, the end result will suffer.

after i hear the next album, ill have a better idea as to what i chose to believe.
__________________
those evil natured robots
theyre programed to destroy us
she gotta be strong to fight them
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Cow of the Seas is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 08:10 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Re: Wow, we have so many fortune tellers here!

Quote:
Originally posted by flaming june
[sarcasm]Let's all write a letter to Principle Management telling them to stop working on the new album. We all know it won't be as good as what they've done in the past and we want to live the rest of our life with the memories...[/sarcasm]

C'mon people, if U2 fans don't have faith in them, who will?!? How inspired would the guys feel if they read threads like these, from their so called "fans"???

Wertsie, I luv ya!

And you, Cow of the Seas. DO dig out that article, if you can find it.

P.S. Let's see how many of those who have said that the best days of the guys are behind them dare to praise the new album when it comes out and KICKS ASS.

Remember, as our wise president has said... the future will be better tomorrow.
fj!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I love Boy
I love October
I love War
I love The Unforgettable Fire
I love The Joshua Tree
I love Rattle and Hum
I love Achtung Baby
I love Zooropa
I love POP
I love All That You Can't Leave Behind

and, above all...I love U2!!!

So sue me!
wertsie is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
flaming june's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: My room
Posts: 5,333
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Re: Re: Wow, we have so many fortune tellers here!

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie


fj!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I love Boy
I love October
I love War
I love The Unforgettable Fire
I love The Joshua Tree
I love Rattle and Hum
I love Achtung Baby
I love Zooropa
I love POP
I love All That You Can't Leave Behind

and, above all...I love U2!!!

So sue me!
Thanks!

If I didn't love this band, and if I didn't think they still have a lot to offer, I wouldn't come to this board at all. Some people here should consider that, otherwise, it seems to me like they're wasting their time.

They'll have to sue us both Wertsie.
flaming june is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Re: Re: Re: Wow, we have so many fortune tellers here!

Quote:
Originally posted by flaming june
If I didn't love this band, and if I didn't think they still have a lot to offer, I wouldn't come to this board at all. Some people here should consider that, otherwise, it seems to me like they're wasting their time.
Amen! It seems rather ridiculous that I feel the need to defend my U2 fandom on a U2 FAN message board!


I love your new sigy, btw!
wertsie is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 08:28 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
flaming june's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: My room
Posts: 5,333
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, we have so many fortune tellers here!

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie


Amen! It seems rather ridiculous that I feel the need to defend my U2 fandom on a U2 FAN message board!
Exactly.


Quote:
I love your new sigy, btw!
Thanks... so do I!
flaming june is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
wertsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: on a country road...
Posts: 4,752
Local Time: 03:44 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow, we have so many fortune tellers here!

Quote:
Originally posted by flaming june
Thanks... so do I!
Psst...Bop on over to PLEBA!
wertsie is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 10:25 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:44 AM
I'm happy that people here are not "yes men", but it still is a U2 message board, and I find it odd that people who are not somewhat devoted to the band spend time here. Perhaps an internet socialogist could explain this event.

I have been a U2 fan since 1987 and I have heard every criticism leveled on this particular thread since 1988. Its actually very funny. Some people will never let go of a bands first mega popular album even if its not their best album.

ATYCLB may not have beat the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, but it did show the band still is definitely capable of producing albums of that level. Plus, more importantly, the band has never sounded better live! The Elevation shows were the greatest shows I have ever seen and I have been going to concerts for over 11 years.

Things have been going great for the band and its funny how time and again, they prove all the critics wrong.
STING2 is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 10:45 PM   #51
Acrobat
 
Blacksword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 389
Local Time: 08:44 AM
I'll go with most people here and say I was let down by ATYCLB. I was a good album but it was lacking that usual spark and seemed falt and a tad uninspiring. The only song on that album that really has stuck with me is New York and more its live version than the album one. All of the songs got much better live especially Walk On but there's just something missing on the album. I can't say how people think of it as U2's third masterpiece. That title should go to Zooropa. I think they were trying too hard to get back the feel of the music they made in the eighties, that soaring joyus sound. I think it was in trying to replicate a particular feel was where they dropped the ball. They aren't that band anymore. ATYCLB wasn't a bad album, nor was it a sell out (though I found it a tad more commerailly oriented than their previous offerings) it was a good album but not a great album. As fans we (or atleast I) are used to greatness in U2 albums even flawed greatness as in POP (an album that continues to grow on me more and more with each listen). ATYCLB is missing that greatness, which is why it seems like such a let down to a lot of people. Though I will agree with critics and say their live show has never been better.

I'll hold off judgement of wether they're past it until I hear their new album. Million Dollar Hotel showed they still have great potential, they just have to realize it. Here's to Bono finding his lyrical muse again. But as long as their live show maintains its stunning power they'll never be totally past it, they just will become another Stones, though with a much longer creative period. Either way i've got my fingers crossed for the next album and I'll always be a fan.
Blacksword is offline  
Old 01-12-2003, 11:45 PM   #52
War Child
 
Cow of the Seas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Njosnavelin
Posts: 834
Local Time: 02:44 AM
i could have sworn i wrote a scathing post about how much i hate flaming june's signature. i guess it was over the top and the mods saved my ass. i guess then, they did a good thing.

i think im going to start using very erotic u2 pictures as my signature. anyone know if theyre involved in porn or something?
__________________
those evil natured robots
theyre programed to destroy us
she gotta be strong to fight them
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Cow of the Seas is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 12:11 AM   #53
The Fly
 
Courtney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 33
Local Time: 02:44 AM
I haven't been to these boards in a while (darn law school!) but decided to pop in and add my two cents.

Do I think ATYCLB, Electrical Storm, and THTBA are on the genius level of Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree, or that they have the flawed brilliance of Pop and Zooropa? No. But what they do have are solid songwriting, musicianship, heart, and some sterling moments. On the Elevation tour, I saw a band that was still excited about performing after years in the business. I waited in line for hours with fans who were still excited to see them. I participated in shows where these two elements interacted to provide a transcendent experience, and I think as long as those two elements are in place, U2 won't ever have to worry about being "past it." I have faith that U2 can, and will, produce another album that can stand alongside AB and JT in the classic album pantheon, because I don't think that they would keep making music unless they felt that creatively they had something new to say. I don't see any reason to lose that faith just yet.
Courtney is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 02:36 AM   #54
Acrobat
 
elevation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 464
Local Time: 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacksword
I'll go with most people here and say I was let down by ATYCLB. I was a good album but it was lacking that usual spark and seemed falt and a tad uninspiring. The only song on that album that really has stuck with me is New York and more its live version than the album one. All of the songs got much better live especially Walk On but there's just something missing on the album. I can't say how people think of it as U2's third masterpiece. That title should go to Zooropa. I think they were trying too hard to get back the feel of the music they made in the eighties, that soaring joyus sound. I think it was in trying to replicate a particular feel was where they dropped the ball. They aren't that band anymore. ATYCLB wasn't a bad album, nor was it a sell out (though I found it a tad more commerailly oriented than their previous offerings) it was a good album but not a great album. As fans we (or atleast I) are used to greatness in U2 albums even flawed greatness as in POP (an album that continues to grow on me more and more with each listen). ATYCLB is missing that greatness, which is why it seems like such a let down to a lot of people. Though I will agree with critics and say their live show has never been better.

I'll hold off judgement of wether they're past it until I hear their new album. Million Dollar Hotel showed they still have great potential, they just have to realize it. Here's to Bono finding his lyrical muse again. But as long as their live show maintains its stunning power they'll never be totally past it, they just will become another Stones, though with a much longer creative period. Either way i've got my fingers crossed for the next album and I'll always be a fan.
Amen!! Well said....My words exactly - though I think Pop is their third masterpiece

I love Boy
I love October
I love War
I love Unforgettable Fire
I love The Joshua Tree
I love Rattle and Hum
I love Achtung Baby
I love Zooropa
I love Pop
I don't like ATYCLB

That doesn't make me less of a fan.
elevation is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 05:33 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Saracene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Posts: 6,325
Local Time: 08:44 AM
Personally I think that U2 had several peaks during their career and I wouldn't say that there is one or two albums that stand head and shoulders above the rest, even though the conventional wisdom says that JT and AB must be it. For me they all have their pluses and minuses, and I'll always be curious to see whether they'll pull off something I could call a "flawless" album.
Saracene is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 07:42 AM   #56
Refugee
 
jick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,054
Local Time: 04:44 PM
Honest Answer - Yes

Yes, U2's best days are behind them.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
jick is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 07:50 AM   #57
The Fly
 
really's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: anywhere, really
Posts: 67
Local Time: 07:44 AM
yep, I really don't think they'll ever be able to create beauty as done on ATYCLB

a shame really
__________________
I don't like this post at all, really
really is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 08:43 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
flaming june's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: My room
Posts: 5,333
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
i could have sworn i wrote a scathing post about how much i hate flaming june's signature. i guess it was over the top and the mods saved my ass. i guess then, they did a good thing.

i think im going to start using very erotic u2 pictures as my signature. anyone know if theyre involved in porn or something?
I think your avatar is very erotic, so you're on the right track!
flaming june is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 11:01 AM   #59
War Child
 
Cow of the Seas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Njosnavelin
Posts: 834
Local Time: 02:44 AM
you really think its erotic? ah, thats so sweet. ((((((*HUGS*))))))

really is really a complete idiot.
__________________
those evil natured robots
theyre programed to destroy us
she gotta be strong to fight them
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Cow of the Seas is offline  
Old 01-13-2003, 12:32 PM   #60
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,044
Local Time: 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
really is really a complete idiot.
that's not nice
__________________

__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×