Hanover Quay.....still alive for the album title? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Hanover Quay.....still alive for the album title?

hanoverquay.com
hanoverquay.org
hanoverquay.net

All registered to James Cooke, the same guy who registered Vertigo on behalf of Adam's brother etc.

Maybe this name is still alive for the album title.

Want to search for other titles? go to WhoIs.net?
I searched for all the titles that began with U2.....com, there were about 900 results and I didnt find anything else.

So I searched for Hanover Quay on a whim and found it.
Any other ideas?

Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 07:30 AM
I hope they name it Hanover Quay.....the word Hanover is 7 letters (same as Achtung) and the word Quay is 4 letters (same as Baby)......coincidence? probably, but I definitely wouldn't mind another album like Achtung Baby....

Old 06-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:30 AM
I definately prefer Hanover Quay over Vertigo. Vertigo is a good name for a song and even the tour like Elevation. But i'm sure they can come up better than HQ even.

Hey i just noticed Hanover Quay = HQ = Headquarters.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:30 AM
i never noticed the Achtung Baby\Hanover Quay similarity. cool!

vertigo sounds to poppish and lame. Hanover Quay is way better!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:30 AM
I think they're gonna name it "Ha ha we fooled you all."
Old 06-30-2004, 10:23 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:30 AM
That's old.

created: 2000-03-28 10:57:20 UTC regcom
modified: 2004-03-30 10:10:20 UTC JORE-1
Old 06-30-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 05:30 AM
What are you guys saying? you think that 'Hanover Quay" is a better title than Vertigo? You're insane! Vertigo has so much more potential.

I always thought they should name the album "TOUGH" refering to the type of music and of course, the upcoming song.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Release the album. They're sinking their career.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:36 AM   #9
Jim
Refugee

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2One
I hope they name it Hanover Quay.....the word Hanover is 7 letters (same as Achtung) and the word Quay is 4 letters (same as Baby)......coincidence? probably, but I definitely wouldn't mind another album like Achtung Baby....
Plus: HAN-O-VER QUAY sounds like JO-SHU-A TREE
Old 07-01-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Release the album. They're sinking their career.
I don't agree with that sentiment. Alot of excellent bands wait 4 years in between albums. Ironically, it's the overly impatient fans who end up losing in the end if they psych themselves out of fandom and all that comes with it just because the album seems to be "taking too long." U2 is held in such high regard, the only thing that would sink their career at this point is if the album was ATYCLB-lite and they took to the state drunk every night.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

I don't agree with that sentiment. Alot of excellent bands wait 4 years in between albums. Ironically, it's the overly impatient fans who end up losing in the end if they psych themselves out of fandom and all that comes with it just because the album seems to be "taking too long." U2 is held in such high regard, the only thing that would sink their career at this point is if the album was ATYCLB-lite and they took to the state drunk every night.
The new fans they've gained w/ ATYCLB have gone through all of high school, or college w/o new a U2 album. Considering this type of MTV fan, they're onto some other "flavor of the month." A record from 2000 would be considered old to them. Odds are, their interest has fallen off, unless they really got into the band and went after the back catalogue.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

The new fans they've gained w/ ATYCLB have gone through all of high school, or college w/o new a U2 album. Considering this type of MTV fan, they're onto some other "flavor of the month." A record from 2000 would be considered old to them. Odds are, their interest has fallen off, unless they really got into the band and went after the back catalogue.
I would venture to say that U2's most fervert fanbase has quite possibly been out of school for a long time. With a 20+ year long career, and 100 million records sold, I'm not sure the MTV fan and their supposed "music ADD" will have a large effect on U2's career.

I went thru college without a new U2 album - and I'm still a fan.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

If U2 want to stay relevant in the world of rock music , they need to bring in young, new fans. Otherwise, they become the Rolling Stones. Paul M. has stated that having the old fans is nice, but gaining new fans is their ultimate goal with each record. They're making it harder on themselves to achieve their own stated goals. Thus, putting their career as an active, forefront rock band on the line.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:07 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Old 07-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
If U2 want to stay relevant in the world of rock music , they need to bring in young, new fans. Otherwise, they become the Rolling Stones. Paul M. has stated that having the old fans is nice, but gaining new fans is their ultimate goal with each record. They're making it harder on themselves to achieve their own stated goals. Thus, putting their career as an active, forefront rock band on the line.
True, U2 does need to engage new fans, but I don't know that it's the key to their success from here on out.

Let's take my younger brother for instance, he is almost 21. For his whole life, he has always known about U2. Just like my whole life I've known about the Beatles. They are just bands that have always been there. There is a latent interest or fandom there for alot of newer/younger U2 fans. U2's career isn't sinking, I think there is more a perception different more than anything.

A band like 3 Doors Down would have a death rattle on their career if they waited every four years. Not U2.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 12:30 PM
After ATYCLB I was driven to discover the rest of U2's catalog out of curiosity and after being impressed by it. At first I thought it might seem uncool to buy ancient records, but I was astonished at how good they were. Even though its been a while since their last release, I can truly say they've won me over for life.

On another note, I believe now more than ever, U2 has established themselves as one of the all-time great bands with the knack for staying relevant up to now. With Pop I just think the general public grew a little disinterested with weird experimentation in their music and they may not have totally realized the importance of U2. Now, after another long break, I think once again the public will be awakened to try listening to this next album. They will be curious what they have to offer after their multi-grammy winning record. That's why I think it is absolutely necessary that the band take their time to make a record that they are completely confident in. The public is aware of their legendary status. They'll wait. Plus, I can feel it in my bones that this record is going to have a sound that much of the public is going to really enjoy!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:30 AM
U2 has no need to worry about fanbase, old or new. They are a Classic Band, one of the top 10 bands in Rock History. They are solid, they are classic, and they are still fresh. No amount of time between albums will deny them new fans if the music is outstanding. Now if the album stinks, that's a whole nother story.....
Old 07-01-2004, 04:02 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What Reggie said.

They are going to have no problem selling out any arena wherever they go and they are going to have no problem debuting their album at #1 on every chart across the globe even if they waited another year.

I graduated high school right before Zooropa came out.
It was right before most of the people I went to high school with were graduationg from college when POP came out.

U2 have not exactly been dormant for 4 years.
They toured the entire year of 2001, released A best of in 2002, with a new song and a new single with a video, won a Golden Globe in early 2003 for a song and really, for all intents and purproses between Bono's appearances for DATA and such havent really been quiet for about a year and a half.

Personally, I think the ATYCLB media onslaught was a bit overdone, and the public are more likely to get sick of a band who is in the music news for over a year than they are to comletely forget about a band who drops off the radar for over a year.

U2's fan base hasn't diminshed for 25 years. Why would it now?
Sure they lose the attention span of a younger generation of late teens and early 20's, but with every new album there is a new generation of late teens and early 20's. Those people who love the music will only stop loving the music if the music is shit.

Those people who bought ATYCLB bedcause BD was a catchy song or because all of their friends had the album have probably gone back to consuming other popular acts because they aren't really music fans, they are trendies. Those people are most certainly replacable.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:19 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Screw the public. I think thats what has kept U2 going and caputured new fans. U2 does what they want to and is best for their musical careers. ATYCLB might have been a conservative approach compared to AB & Pop eras but I think they wanted to make music that sounded like 4 guys in a band. Pop was a great album that the U.S. public didn't take much notice of because of negative rumors (dance album, bad sales). Pop was not met for a conservative, uptight, cookie eating, commerical station listening, reality TV watching society like the U.S. Just turn to VH-1 to see how bad music is. People only care about what musicans are wearing and doing rather than the music their making. U2 needs to do what they want to and keep doing that. I'll be ashamed if they were conforming to the public. By the way, I can't wait for the new album
Old 07-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Every record since JT has sold less, and less. With The blip being ATYCLB. They want to sell lots of records. It's very important to them. If this record bombs like Pop in the US, I think they'll break up.