For all those spanners who reckon U2 are sellouts... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2002, 04:20 PM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
*slaps Rafmed for taking him seriously.
OUCH!

Quote:
Only a Raffie would give NO arguments to support his "sell-out" attacks and then get all riled up over a mocking post.
ok you got a point, is always good to stir some controversy.

Quote:
O.K., if I *must* get serious...

I think the intimate Elevation show is FAR better than ZOO TV or POPMart. There, I said it. I didn't like POPMart anywhere near as much as Elevation. It was just too big. The music was lost. I did like ZOO TV, but the spectacle it was also detracted from my real reason for seeing U2 - which is the music. Elevation allowed me to truly enjoy the music, while still being visually entertained. It is, by far, the best tour U2 has done, IMO.
I disagree, but I have seen many people in USA think like you about Popmart, I think it was much better when they come here with that tour for some reason, maybe they were more used, I didn't see Elevation, but I doubt that it would has been better for me than ZOO TV, well matter of opinions.

Quote:
As for touring Australia... well, that is a tough one. I do think U2 should have gone there, especially considering how successful the album was in Australia. Hopefully, with a new album in the making, U2 will tour Australia next time and perhaps skip other parts of the world (like yet another visit to the U.S.).

As for the "Best Of" - I'm not convinced that this is "selling out." Many, many artists have these albums. Yes, they may be "easy money" but I think they are highly beneficial for the new fan. For example, if I was just getting into U2 now, the "Best Of" would be a great way to hear some of their older music without having to shell out $12-18 for all the albums. When I first started collecting music as a teen, these "greatest hits" albums were wonderful just for that reason. I didn't have a lot of $$, so the ensemble allowed me to nicely sample the artist's work over a period of time without spending a fortune getting each album. Then, if I really liked the artist, I would get the actual albums. In other words, greatest hits albums aren't meant for long-time fans, they are meant for new fans. And having once been in that position, I really appreciate artists releasing these albums.

As for looking cool - considering you gave absolutely NO supporting statements to your initial arguments, I think it is you who needs to do some thinking before just blurting out your thoughts. Don't try to look cool by being the "anti-Bono" - oh, wait, that's already been done too. Whaddya know...

Should we do a contest about cool and anticool?

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 04-30-2002).]

Old 04-30-2002, 04:25 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:56 AM
what's a spanner?

Old 04-30-2002, 04:44 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

IMHO, "sell-out" and U2 do not even belong in the same SENTENCE. I guess I just dislike the term "sell-out" in general.

As some have said, I think that the Best Of CD is good for fans that aren't as familar with the music. I mean, the band has released 10 studio albums. It's easier for the new fans to get a Best Of CD and stick with the songs they know, then maybe they'll buy some of the other CDs later. I have a friend who bought the Best Of CD because he really liked "Sweetest Thing."

Everybody has different opinions about what they feel were "better spots," if you will, in the band's career. Definitely understandable.

I don't think U2 could ever "sell out." They have too much integrity to do that.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-30-2002, 06:12 PM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazyboy:
The reason U2 gave for not allowing Streets to be used was because it is a cornerstone of each gig, Bono said "it's like when we have a bad night, that song is where God usually shows up". For this reason he felt that it would be degrading to the song, and the attention it would get due to the ad would take away its effect in the show. I dunno but they seemed like they could be persuaded on some other less notable songs.

They didn't say which car company it was, to whoever asked that.

And Arun, from this side of the pond I dunno bout the cases you mentioned, but I would also say the NFL thing ain't selling out, they also let a soccer highlights show here use BD as the theme tune. And have you seen the coke ad you refer to? Cos I think I heard a similar story to this one about that.

And I personally wouldn't really be bothered if U2 "sold" some of their songs to advertising, I mean it would be nice to take some big notes from some corporation and give them to charity. And like someone already pointed out, Moby practically used selling all his songs to ads to promote his own album, not a bad idea! But with Streets, and many others, I think they should be left alone.
laz I never said it was selling out...I just think it's the way the music scene is now. I have NO problem with it. I have seen the coke ad..it's a coke ad

Old 04-30-2002, 08:18 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V:

No, it was used ina coke ad, that was used to promote the olympics ( if that makes sense). In the United states it was an ad that had clips from events and a coke glass being poured with the chorus from BD being played at the end. in short...a coke ad..I even have it on tape actually. I will check it again though[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-30-2002).]
Actually, it is still not technically an ad for Coke. Why? Because Coke did not pay U2 a cent to advertize their product. 'Beautiful Day' was being used to promote the Olympics, not Coke. It just so happened that Coke also sponsored the Olympics, and it was run simultaneosly. I'm sure U2 didn't agree to promote Coke, and I'm positive that if they did agree to do a Coke ad, as you say, they would have demanded money for it. They did agree, however, to promote the Olympics -- for free.

------------------
The Tempest
Old 04-30-2002, 08:44 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Actually, it is still not technically an ad for Coke. Why? Because Coke did not pay U2 a cent to advertize their product. 'Beautiful Day' was being used to promote the Olympics, not Coke. It just so happened that Coke also sponsored the Olympics, and it was run simultaneosly. I'm sure U2 didn't agree to promote Coke, and I'm positive that if they did agree to do a Coke ad, as you say, they would have demanded money for it. They did agree, however, to promote the Olympics -- for free.

it still doesn't change the fact that u2 music..was used in a coke ad.

and for the record I'm nost against this sort of thing really. Afterall playing a show like letterman or leno, is basically a commercial arrangment " you play on our show, we will expose you to an audience, and we can make advertising dollars" it's much liek a commercial really...and even if u2 did let them use streets in an ad..it' not seilling out

Old 04-30-2002, 09:19 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:56 PM
I don't really understand the economic arguments against best of CD's. I know I rejoiced the day I got the Best of and Bsides myself. I used to spend ages making mixture tapes for friends and there it was all in one place. Handy.(this said by a person who doesn't down load and burn music from the net) I bought the video for a couple of friends who are discovering U2, great value I thought.
Yesterday I decided to treat myself to a Salva Grigoryan CD, there were three, the choice was so hard. If he had a "Best of" I'd have bought that I suppose and been very happy (highly recommend Tommy Emmanuel's Best of Double CD I saw that there too. I want them all. End of plug for Australian guitarists )
So what's up with Best of's?
Old 04-30-2002, 09:41 PM   #48
New Yorker

Quote:
Yay! You got Creed. Lucky you!
I dont like Creed, but chartwise and exposure wise right now theyre up with U2...

Old 05-01-2002, 02:12 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:56 AM
I don't mind U2's music used in TV ads as long as they give the money to charity. It's their decision.

I would disagree with Elevation used for the movie (because there were better songs on ATYCLB that could have been used as singles and didn't get the chance, and because i don't think that those who liked it in Tomb Raider will go out and buy the whole album - which i presume was the idea). Or the ticket prices - how is it possible that the stripped down tour costs more than the elaborate, mega Zoo tv and Popmart tours?

Just my opinion.

As for U2 repeating themselves - ATYCLB is the album that has most references from the past. I love it, but it's true.

As for Best of - it's worth buying for a new fan getting into the band, buying the first release. Older fans already have the albums, and (chances are) B-sides or MP3s of them. Personally i wouldn't buy it.

ps: Instead of giving a song off the album for the movie soundtrack, why not make a new song (a la Gangs of New York)? Or M:I theme, or Goldeneye?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-30-2002).]
Old 05-01-2002, 02:24 AM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl:
I don't mind U2's music used in TV ads as long as they give the money to charity.

I would disagree with Elevation used for the movie (because there were better songs on ATYCLB that could have been used as singles and didn't get the chance, and because i don't think that those who liked it in Tomb Raider will go out and buy the whole album - which i presume was the idea). Or the ticket prices - how is it possible that the stripped down tour costs more than the elaborate, mega Zoo tv and Popmart tours?

Just my opinion.

As for U2 repeating themselves - ATYCLB is the album that has most references from the past. I love it, but it's true.

ps: Instead of giving a song off the album for the movie soundtrack, why not make a new song (a la Gangs of New York)? Or M:I theme, or Goldeneye?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-30-2002).]

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:02 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brettig:
I dont like Creed...

Awww... I'm sorry to hear that. Well, at least they performed by you. Yay!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:14 AM   #52
Acrobat

Quote:
it still doesn't change the fact that u2 music..was used in a coke ad.

It was an an Olympic ad. The money they would have given U2 went instead to the Speical Olympics. Coke bought the air time for a spot of the days medal winners...and it was the medal winners that were spotlighted...not Coke. And the song Beautiful Day played in the background.
Now anyone not knowing all this might think "U2 did an ad for Coke" but there were all kinds of press releases out at that time telling what really went on.

dream wanderer

Old 05-02-2002, 10:02 AM   #53
War Child

Quote:
laz I never said it was selling out...I just think it's the way the music scene is now. I have NO problem with it. I have seen the coke ad..it's a coke ad

That's cool Arun, wasn't sayin you said that but many people would interpret what you said as "selling out". And alot of people are dis-agreeing with ya on the coke ad issue too I know what you are saying in relation to the way the music scene has gone and I happen to agree.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:20 AM   #54
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
what's a spanner?
Ah, a spanner, well, we use it to describe people who are eejits, or idiots, who say things, or do things, just to disagree or be awkward, like a spanner in the works I guess. Basically a gobshite