EGM hints at a U2-based Guitar Hero game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmelrose

The Fly
I just got my copy of Electronic Gaming Monthly. In addition to mentioning a game based on Aerosmith is on the way, they also added:

"I'm hearing two more Guitar Hero titles are also in the works, bringing GH3's sequel count to four. And one may star a group that rocks in mysterious ways."

The "Rumor Mill" column of the magazine generally knows what's up, so this is not fact yet, but it's OK to hope at this point. I've been wishing to be able to play U2 songs in Guitar Hero/Rock Band since I got it!

omg, awesome news! same here, I wonder what song they will use...:hmm:

i take it they don't mean they're going to use MW, right?

anyway, thanks a lot for this :)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't believe that hints at a u2 based guitar hero game... i think it hints at u2's music being included in a future guitar hero game.

Yeah, I doubt they would have a full game....all though a few years back Bono was talking about wanting to get into different types of "new media" and video games was one thing he mentioned. So you never know.

Actually, I think their own game is EXACTLY what they meant. Hell, if Aerosmith is getting THEIR own, why not the boys?

Apparently the Guitar Hero folks want to strike while the iron is hot, so band-specific ones wouldn't be hard to do. Other than hair and clothes, the models would remain the same... can you imagine getting to do a career mode starting as Bono climbing on amps and looking like he's 13 (at age 18), going up through the spectacle of Zoo TV and then playing to crowds "in the heart" on the Elevation tour?

Pretty sweet, in my opinion. Maybe you can re-create the "Live Aid" set too...

Last edited:
jmelrose said:
Actually, I think their own game is EXACTLY what they meant. Hell, if Aerosmith is getting THEIR own, why not the boys?

Apparently the Guitar Hero folks want to strike while the iron is hot, so band-specific ones wouldn't be hard to do. Other than hair and clothes, the models would remain the same... can you imagine getting to do a career mode starting as Bono climbing on amps and looking like he's 13 (at age 18), going up through the spectacle of Zoo TV and then playing to crowds "in the heart" on the Elevation tour?

Pretty sweet, in my opinion. Maybe you can re-create the "Live Aid" set too...

aerosmith has already had their own video game... plus they're as huge a bunch of sellouts as there is.

^ he beat me to it... :wink:

still... a U2-Guitar Hero game... and we buying it... that's even :nerd:ier than buying the U2 iPod

I'd rather see a game where U2 has to fight through 50 levels of challenges and save Adam from a dragon.

corianderstem said:
I'd rather see a game where U2 has to fight through 50 levels of challenges and save Adam from a dragon.

using only his vast collection of spoons.

^^^^^^^last 2 post^^^^^^^
he he he. i might actually put some effort into video games if this is true. my cousins don't even let me play super smash bros. i'm so bad!

gametitleki7.jpg

I have no fun with guitar hero or music games. I'd rather a retro beat em' up or platoformer. With awful midis of U2 tracks, of course.

Capcom Presents - U2 And The Escape From The Seven Towers With No Way Out!

*Exciting Platforming, Beat-Em-Up Action!
*Choose From FOUR Character Classes: The Rhythmic Brute, The Groovy Mystic, The Melodic Wizard and The Rhapsodizing Campaigner!
*Special Abilities Include: Bulleting The Blue Sky! Numbness! The Unforgettable Fireball! Heal With A Shout! And More!
*Enemy Bosses At Every Turn Include: Henry Rollins! Poverty! The IRA!
*Fight Across Exotic Locales Such As: Negativland! God's Country! Zoo Station! The Playboy Mansion! Miami!!!!!!

pepokiss said:
^ he beat me to it... :wink:

still... a U2-Guitar Hero game... and we buying it... that's even :nerd:ier than buying the U2 iPod

:::waits to see how many people go out and buy a new game system just to have and play a U2-based Guitar hero::: :wink:

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
i dont play guitar hero but....
i might now.

Rock Band is 100 times better, but I'll take anything with U2! I pray this isn't BS. This is the only news that could get me more excited than the U2:3D movie. Now excuse me while I go change my underwear.

I would take this with a grain of salt even though it would be cool as a U2 lover. Guitar Hero games can have anywhere from about 30-70 songs when including bonus tracks. The lowest is Rock The 80's with 30.

Now I can definitely agree that U2 has enough in their catalogue to fit the requirement, but can anyone honestly name even 5 U2 songs that would be hard to play in Guitar Hero? Discotheque? The Electric Co.? People always say The Fly would be great but that doesn't even have any notes during the chorus unless they do like they did for When You Were Young and make you play that ambient keyboard in the background. In my opinion, U2 music just doesn't work for a game like GH. A lot of it revolves around simple chords and repeating riffs with cool delays and effects. Not to mention edge never does any finger bleeding shred solos which are a must for a rhythm game like this. It would be fun for us fans on here who just love the band, but the general fanbase of the franchise would think it's too easy. Rock Band on the other hand would be much better suited for their type of music. I would love to see a download package available for that game of a bunch of U2 songs.

End the end I hope I'm wrong because I'll buy any game with U2 music in it. :drool:

From a 1993 Rolling Stone interview w/ Bono:

Releasing multiple videos for "One" and "Even Better Than the Real Thing," all the remixes -- it seems like you're approaching this album as something mutable, more like a performance-art piece than a fixed statement.

Rock & roll is mutating into something else at the moment. The video game business is bigger than the music business. Images are everywhere, and we want to be there when the sort of audiovisual-microchip-interactive music is born.

The exciting thing about what's about to happen is we're working with Sega on a Zoo TV interactive CD. You're going to be able to mix your own videos to our songs. There will be a color box, if you like, of images. I'm really excited about that. And you're going to be able to remix our music for yourself, which scares me a little. You have to swallow hard before agreeing to something like that.

Back
Top Bottom