do you think that there's strength in bono's sunglasses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you people know anything? Bono gets his superpowers from his sunglasses! Haven't you ever seen the Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me video? And you call yourselves fans :tsk:

On a less sarcastic, more serious note, I imagine Bono wears his glasses for a number of reasons, which have all been stated in this thread: allergies causing his eyes to go red, flashes going off in his face all of the time, hiding wrinkles, security, and just for the look. Different people do different things for whatever reason, and I'm fine with that. Hell, I wear 31 bracelets on my left wrist, almost all of the time, for no real reason.
I might add though, that Bono has stated before that his right eye swells up after exposure to camera flashes, and if you notice, there have been pictures of him without the shades, where he's noticibly covering his right eye specifically, usually with his hand, sometimes with random objects, to protect it. Also, there were photos of him in Dublin just before Christmas where he had a bandage under his right eye. I think the sensitivity in his right eye is a big part of why he wears the glasses, but of course that's not the only reason, as has been pointed out.

Chizip said:

old people shrink

:laugh:

P.gif

you asked for it. :wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:

If I understand correctly, PLEBA is mostly for posting pictures, and since this is more about the sunglasses and not pictures of sunglasses it fits here? :shrug:

That's my only take on the difference, PLEBA = pictures/visuals, EYKIW = words/little or no visuals?

How anyone could get confused how to navigate in Zootopia (paid forums), or other U2 forums is surprising. IMHO.

/serious discussion.

////////

Yes U2man, they give Bono the power to speak in public. ;) Before he had to use a special water from a well but the well is dried up, now he gets his powers from the specs.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

On a less sarcastic, more serious note, I imagine Bono wears his glasses for a number of reasons, which have all been stated in this thread: allergies causing his eyes to go red, flashes going off in his face all of the time, hiding wrinkles, security, and just for the look. Different people do different things for whatever reason, and I'm fine with that. Hell, I wear 31 bracelets on my left wrist, almost all of the time, for no real reason.
I might add though, that Bono has stated before that his right eye swells up after exposure to camera flashes, and if you notice, there have been pictures of him without the shades, where he's noticibly covering his right eye specifically, usually with his hand, sometimes with random objects, to protect it. Also, there were photos of him in Dublin just before Christmas where he had a bandage under his right eye. I think the sensitivity in his right eye is a big part of why he wears the glasses, but of course that's not the only reason, as has been pointed out.
Absolutely. Thanx for making this clear. :up:
And I wish people would stop making derogatory comments about Bono - or anyone - aging. No one is getting younger with the years. The discussion tends to be a bit disrespectful.

last unicorn said:

Absolutely. Thanx for making this clear. :up:
And I wish people would stop making derogatory comments about Bono - or anyone - aging. No one is getting younger with the years. The discussion tends to be a bit disrespectful.

the thing is it's just the plain old truth that everyone gets older or puts on a little weight now and then. there is no need to discuss it just to rile up people. of course some people take it as a joke and others will want to defend bono (of course, as this is a u2 forum). do we need to have 'funny' threads about them if it's going to lead to people getting offended or thinking it's disrespectful?
:huh:

its just that some people are overtly sensitive on behalf of the members of u2 and if they get riled up by someone saying that bono has got a couple of more wrinkles or has put on a few pounds then its their own damn fault.

treating them as if they were children is even more insulting to them, and i think they would tell you the same.

Last edited:
of course peple know that posters on messageboards will get riled up if someone slams someone they admire. is that not what they call trolling?

there's a difference between slamming and making some obvious observations.

Okay, but do we need to state the obvious here? It seems to lead very easily to mockery and thus disrespectful statements. I mean getting older is simply a fact and it would be disturbing if people looked the same with 45 or 50 than they did in their 20s. Thank God there are still people in showbusiness who are aging instead of making use of plastic surgery and whatnot. I believe there is no use for anyone to be either disrespectful or disappointed just because your idols are getting older. Their work has nothing to do with it. With age comes experience and maturity and there's more to a person than their physical appearance.

last unicorn said:
Okay, but do we need to state the obvious here? It seems to lead very easily to mockery and thus disrespectful statements. I mean getting older is simply a fact and it would be disturbing if people looked the same with 45 or 50 than they did in their 20s. Thank God there are still people in showbusiness who are aging instead of making use of plastic surgery and whatnot. I believe there is no use for anyone to be either disrespectful or disappointed just because your idols are getting older. Their work has nothing to do with it. With age comes experience and maturity and there's more to a person than their physical appearance.

i think the best thing is to just ignore it.

of course people wouldn't seriously post on a messageboard to call bono fat and old to annoy people. that would be a sad waste of time. :)

It's OK, I don't think Bono is gonna lose sleep over what people are saying on the internet about his glasses. :huh:

He's too busy counting his money for a start :D

bono wears sunglasses because they've become his trademark and he thinks they look cool.

end of discussion.

anyone who believes the "allergic to red wine" or "sensative to camera flashes" or "bono's a vampire" stories, feel free to place a bid on my seaside property...

brooklyn_bridge.5.jpg

... i'll get ya a good price. i promise.

i don't know much... but i know that when someone gives multiple excuses for the same action, said excuses are usually bullshit.

Last edited:
come on, it's the wind that turns his eyes red. he needs the glasses.

Copy said:
come on, it's the wind that turns his eyes red. he needs the glasses.

yea right....:lol:

anyone who believes the "allergic to red wine" or "sensative to camera flashes" or "bono's a vampire" stories, feel free to place a bid on my seaside property...

Headache in a Suitcase FTW:up:

Bono's sunglasses are like a Bullshit Protection Field. If he didn't wear them regularly I think we'd just be exposed to lethal doses.

Bono also said in another interview that he started to wear the fly shades because he needed a "public" persona, so ya, they are a barrier between the real world and the public.
Also, if he wants to be less recognizable he can just take them off and be less noticable. But I think at this point most of the world can still recognize him without them.

Canadiens1160 said:
Bono's sunglasses are like a Bullshit Protection Field. If he didn't wear them regularly I think we'd just be exposed to lethal doses.

he needs something on his mouth too! :laugh:

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:
Bono also said in another interview that he started to wear the fly shades because he needed a "public" persona, so ya, they are a barrier between the real world and the public.
Also, if he wants to be less recognizable he can just take them off and be less noticable.

i do think there's something to this.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bono wears sunglasses because they've become his trademark and he thinks they look cool.

end of discussion.

brooklyn_bridge.5.jpg

... i'll get ya a good price. i promise.

i don't know much... but i know that when someone gives multiple excuses for the same action, said excuses are usually bullshit.

I tend to agree with ya there headache..:up:

I will trade ya some belly button lint for that bridge...:evil: :wink:

Do you want to complain about it? I'll close this one too.

And check your email.

Sicy said:
Do you want to complain about it? I'll close this one too.

And check your email.

no, no. it was just a joke. i honestly liked that thread. please don't close this one. it's totally harmless.

Back
Top Bottom