Could a U2 BY U2 movie happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
macfesto said:
there hasn't even been a 'Beatles' film yet//

Actually, there was "Backbeat," which was about their early days and had an AMAZING soundtrack with a "supergroup" featuring Mike Mills from REM, Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth, Dave Grohl, Greg Dulli from the Afghan Wigs ... really, really kick-ass stuff.

Didn't see the movie, though.

Who would be good to act as the lads ???

And for some reason if it did happened , I think that irish blonde guy , totally forgot his name ......

C'mon guys he's big pic in Hollywood , has done dozens of movie as villain and such .........

King of Spartha in Troy , that businessmen in MI 2 , The big guy with the stick who's after killed by Bill in Gangs of NY ....

For some reason I see him on it , maybe he should go as McGuiness or another important business guy in U2's history

Damm I start to imagine the portray of Adam's fall in Sydney ...... The band crisis in Berlin .......

:drool: :drool:

The first person to suggest that Robin Williams should portray Bono gets a swift boot to the head. Ditto Colin Farrell.

:mad:

J_NP, are you thinking of Brendan Gleeson? Or Liam Neeson, maybe?

Canadiens1160 said:

It takes 10-20 secs of that before Bono ruins any preconceptions of a modest motion picture.

When I first read that, I read it as a "modest mouse motion picture" :lol: :hmm:

I think a dramatic-style biopic would be tough to pull off. Some of those things are extra cheesy, and if you didn't have the right actors, it could be a disaster. A proper documentary would be much better; one that delves into the phenomena of the band, and also looks into the many influences on them that the casual fan might not be aware of.

How about Everything You Know Is Wrong? :hyper:

corianderstem said:

J_NP, are you thinking of Brendan Gleeson? Or Liam Neeson, maybe?

Yeah Gleeson , that's correct

Neeson , when he portrayed a villain except in Batman ? :hmm:

I'd like to see a 4-part documentary like the Beatles did with Anthology.

Following a similar vein to the book with band/paul mc interviews mixed with other footage. Even called U2byU2!!

It could be split into 4, 1- 2 hour docs

Episode 1: The Early Years
Episode 2: The Earnest Years
Episode 3: The Experienmental Years
Episode 4: The Elderly Years

note: names might not be appropriate.

Ideally, it would have been best if it was released to coincide with the book but meh, still be good though! Nothing to fancy in the release either, maybe just straight to DVD.

bono_man said:
I'd like to see a 4-part documentary like the Beatles did with Anthology.

Following a similar vein to the book with band/paul mc interviews mixed with other footage. Even called U2byU2!!

It could be split into 4, 1- 2 hour docs

Episode 1: The Early Years
Episode 2: The Earnest Years
Episode 3: The Experienmental Years
Episode 4: The Elderly Years

note: names might not be appropriate.

Ideally, it would have been best if it was released to coincide with the book but meh, still be good though! Nothing to fancy in the release either, maybe just straight to DVD.

:lol:

I can't stop saying Liam Neeson...Liiiiam Neeeeeson! It's one of those nice-sounding words, like Chevrolet. :drool:

I think VH1 should make a U2 mini-series like Def Leppard or The Jacksons did. We all saw how great those were.

But, seriously, they should give film another shot. Did anyone ever see the movie Entropy?

J_NP said:
Who would be good to act as the lads ???

LOL, I think they answered this during that Fuse 100% special. They each picked the actors they wanted to play them in a U2 "movie".

Edge - "Well, it's obvious - Tom Cruise."
Bono - Groucho Marx
Adam - Steve McQueen
Larry - Halle Berry

macfesto said:
Nah...

Sorry, but a'U2' movie should ONLY be considered 25 or 30 years from now.

there hasn't even been a 'Beatles' film yet//

Backbeat was a good movie about the Beatles. I think I was the only one who saw it in the theaters though, haha.

tonyhotland said:
i hope not. a moviegraphy is the worst of all, no matter who directs or writes it...
i also prefer watching interviews or bloopers :)

OMG, it somehow reminds me of the spice girls movie. Shoot!!

U2 could just do a remake of Spice World starring themselves instead of the girls.

Actually the idea is quite interesting ;)

U2 have enought material hidden in their vaults for making a 3 hours long film if they wanted it.

I'm not talking about doing interviews for an upcoming DVD release (like Bob Dylan No Direction Home for example), they don't even need to do that. It's quite simpler!. Since the early years they have been doing interviews and documentaries for TV (remember 1981 Boy Group, 1982 Riverboat President, 1982 European Festivals, MTV Fast Foward 1983 documentary with the band, 1984 Slane Castle, 1985 Wide Awake in Dublin, 1987 Outside Is America, 1989 Sydney Special, 1987-1988 outtakes from Rattle & Hum, Wild Irish Rose 1990, Zoo TV Outside Broadcast 1992, A Year In Pop 1997, Sarajevo 1997, MTV icon, etc, etc ) so the director would have to get the interviews at that time, add U2's music, live footage, promo video clips and more recent interviews, and that's all ! :heart:

Actually it's a more interesting thing to watch a documentary filmed on those days than a documentary like Beatles Anthology, you know, the present band talking about the past with footage from the years :down:. I can't think about any documentary without present band or artist doing interviews to remember the past, that's something predictable and cliche :yuck:

It could be far more artistic and interesting to make a new kind of documentary films just with footage and interview from those years instead

F*** no!!!!! A Documentary retrospective with comments form artistic piers would be way cool.. But a movie??? Hell no!!!

While I'd be all for a u2 film, I'm left wondering if there's enough drama in their story to make it watchable. Not for nothing, but every movie needs drama. Otherwise, what's the point. Maybe I'm just ignorant to the details.

What major dramatic moments have occured thruout U2's history? (and don't list The Joshua Tree winning album of the year..i want darker, sadder moments)

ozeeko said:
While I'd be all for a u2 film, I'm left wondering if there's enough drama in their story to make it watchable. Not for nothing, but every movie needs drama. Otherwise, what's the point. Maybe I'm just ignorant to the details.

What major dramatic moments have occured thruout U2's history? (and don't list The Joshua Tree winning album of the year..i want darker, sadder moments)

Not enough drama? Are you reading the book? Is anyone here reading the book????

Im not talking about a lame documentary or a footage montage, Im talking 4 actors with scripts and dialogue. That's it and that's all. No appearences by Bono, Edge, Larry or Adam whatsoever. They stay behind the camera.

Back
Top Bottom