Bring Desire Back LIVE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
Ok U2 only played Desire a few times on the Vertigo tour and the ones i know of i didnt think they were good versions.... I quite like the Elevation tour version...

I think it would great for them to do it Next tour and really put a lot more into this song and make it more special.

ELEVATION VERSION!

That was like shagging a woman with no tits!

Desire needs that guitar from Lovetown & Zoo TV. I usually like acoustic, but Desire doesn't work for me in that format.

thelaj said:
ELEVATION VERSION!

That was like shagging a woman with no tits!

Desire needs that guitar from Lovetown & Zoo TV. I usually like acoustic, but Desire doesn't work for me in that format.

That could possibly be the best quote ever:wink:

Either play it like it was played on Lovetown, complete with the shredding solo and snippets of Not Fade Away and So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star, or don't bother playing it at all.

Elevation version lacked any fire whatsoever. Desire's all about the fire.

Desire ZooTV with the Mirrorball Man/MacPhisto :drool:
Desire LoveTown :drool: :drool:

Yeah, ZooTV's version for me is tops.

Bono as he looks in the mirror at the start the song at the Washington DC '92 show,
"ya know sumthin', you're fuckin' ugly sumbitch...!!!"

And Edge's flanged guitar is totally..... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Lovetown versions of anything = Best versions of anything.

One of the basic equations in U2 mathematics.

Sorry i wasn't really being clear about my post... I dont like the Elevation version much but i like how they actually did something with it... When it was on Vertigo it was just like going through the motions.

I agree with Axver about the Lovetown is best though. I want to hear Desire ROCKING again!

Must... get... Lovetown bootlegs...

I keep hearing how good thos shows were, but aside from live versions of Hawkmoon and God Part II I saw video clips for :)drool:), I haven't heard anything from that era...

They did Desire at one of the Melbourne shows, it was good, but then I don't have much to compare it with. :shrug:

Alisaura said:
Must... get... Lovetown bootlegs...

I keep hearing how good thos shows were, but aside from live versions of Hawkmoon and God Part II I saw video clips for :)drool:), I haven't heard anything from that era...

They did Desire at one of the Melbourne shows, it was good, but then I don't have much to compare it with. :shrug:

Your life is not complete without Desire from 27 September 1989, Sydney. Simply the best performance of the song ever, and it's proshot DVD footage at that!

And hey, I'm in Melbourne now, you could come around and watch it. :wink:

Alisaura said:
Wow, you're gonna trust me with your address? *hides axe behind back* :D

Oh, I can do that because I have the biggest axe in the state. :wink:

I nominate this thread to include 'Quote of the Year'.

Desire is probably one of only a few songs where I actually prefer the album version. All tour versions seem a little incomplete.

AndrewCowley said:
The Zoo TV version with the wild guitar effects does it for me. And some of Bono's "I believe's..." were pretty funny too.

I have a vision! I have a vision! TELEVISION! TELLLLL-EEEEEEE-VIIIIIIIIISIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!

:love:

Bonochick said:

I think people here should be able to get their point across without resorting to such references.

Could that be because you are female?
Anyway, the colourful language gets across the fact that Elevation Desire was like a good thing with something crucial language missing.

Anyway, isn't Desire a rock song? Rock&Roll......swearing even?

Axver said:
Either play it like it was played on Lovetown, complete with the shredding solo and snippets of Not Fade Away and So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star, or don't bother playing it at all.

is this so you want to be a r'n'r star from some song or is it just a bono's rant??

bring desire live full band with lovetown solo

Pero said:

is this so you want to be a r'n'r star from some song or is it just a bono's rant??

It's a song by The Byrds. Bono, as usual, never gets the lyrics quite right.

Desire is probably the only U2 song that I really don't like. And I don't even know why... It just doesn't sound U2 to me :shrug: there are some live versions that I can stand but I never listen to the studio version...

Ahem, I'd like to concentrate again on the SONG "Desire" - not on the sexual preferences some of us want to share here:

"Bring back Desire"?

1. U2 did so on EVERY tour since publishing RATTLE AND HUM. They played this tune - one of their in this forum so often critizized greatest hits (*smile*). So there's no need to bring it back.

2. U2 always wanted to keep this soong fresh, arranging it different:

- In the tour following RATTLE AND HUM - the really great, but now very much hyped and in some ways overrated LOVETOWN-TOUR '89/'90 - U2 dediced fir a killer electric version: faster than the speed of light, great guitar solos and on some nights perfect snippets (Not Fade Away, (So You Want To Be) A Rock'n'Roll Star, etc.) stretching the tune even longer.

- During the ZOO days '92/'93 the band also played the tune (nearly) every night (except of course the last leg of the tour, where "Daddy's Gonna Pay..." replaced it during these few concerts.) This version was part of the parody/cabaret part of the show. I like the hard, kind of industrial sound of the band - but dont appreciate the Mirrorball Man's/Macphisto's voice that much.

- The POPmart '97/'98 extravaganza with its static setlists had not that much room for "Desire". It was a rarity - and played as an acoustic tune by Bono & Edge - with the people singing along.

- On ELEVATION 2001 "Desire" was a standard again, but even here in new clothes. We were back in the bluesy roots of the tune. U2 played it full band again, but slower than in the early heydays of this tune's live performances. But you didn't lose anything with it. Bono especially delivered great versions, inserting snippets like Van's/Patti's "Gloria". And we got one of the greatest U2 live moments ever. In Cologne 07/12/01 Bono read some lyrics sheets from a German fan - and decided to insert these rare tunes in the actual performance. So U2 played a version of "Desire" including verses from "Hawkmoon 269" (!) and "Running To Stand Still" (with Edge even switching to the album's chords) - ending it all with a second harp solo. Check this one out, folks ...

- In the VERTIGO days we had to wait long to have this tune appearing, but it did: Bono & Edge started it, then there were Larry and Adam kicking in. Electric (with Edge even referring to his early "Desire" solos), a bit stripped down, but very Rock'n Roll!

Back
Top Bottom