Bored? Read this review...then cue anger.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac Phisto

The Fly
I love reviews. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. Here's an interesting one of ATYCLB from Pitchforkmedia.com, a pretentious but ultimately well-intentioned site that features some good writing. Warning: This isn't exactly kind towards the B-Man. Those who love Paul irrationally are going to get pissed most likely. But c'mon, the part about rhyming "eye, high, sky" is funny...and true. Enjoy.

U2
All That You Can't Leave Behind
[Interscope; 2000]
Rating: 5.0
The title can work both ways. For the band, "all that you can't leave behind" implies facing up to their platinum salad days of the Edge's trademark echo shimmers and Paul "Bono Vox" Hewson's Lexus-honk vocals. For the general public, the title reifies our struggle to leave behind the image of Bono hatching from a disco lemon, dressed in that rayon six-pack t-shirt. For a band settled into four-letter pseudonyms from their 1980 debut, breaking up never seemed like an option. From day one, U2 was a rock constellation-- a warplane-- and we expected epics. It's an early affair, a hazy infatuation, that has since bloated into comfortable taking-for-granted. As with all ubiquitous products, the familiarity of logos, slogans, and icons eventually supplants whatever original feelings we may have had.

U2 are, indeed, a universal product, much like the Catholic Church Bono humbly admires. The swoosh on The Edge's skully cap, and the golden arches of Bono's glasses spring to mind. Song titles and lyrics on All That boldly declare familiar, safe dogma and generic commandments, such as "Grace", "Peace on Earth", "I believe in you," "Won't you take me, take me please," "I know it aches, and your heart breaks," etc. This new batch of songs heralds a conscious and welcome revocation of dance-inflected bubbleglam, but scales back too far. In searching so hard for their souls, U2 have hacked away their flesh and skull, leaving a lobotomized approximation of glory.

"Beautiful Day" opens with bombast after a cheeky keyboard tease, and peaks with Bono's cracking voice in the shouted coda: "What you don't have/ You don't need it now!" And so the album climaxes at 3? minutes. The gospel ballad, "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of", maintains the buzz admirably, again peaking in the coda with Brian Eno's faux-brass keyboard belts. Elsewhere, Eno's fingerprints remain undusted. The album could have benefited from more of him; apparently, it takes Brian Eno + Berlin to = renaissance.

"Elevation" slaughters hope with reckless chops of the hackneyed sword, as Bono commits songwriting faux pas #1: rhyming "sky" with "fly" and "high." The details will be spared, but you can work it out. Damn you, God and aerodynamics, for making altitude a necessity for flight, in the sky, which happens to be above us. As the album's sticker proclaims, "Walk On" is locked and loaded as the second single. Epic midtempo should always follow punchy power-rock, you see. Nice, but unexciting. Here, Bono seems dead set on ruining U2's return with clich?s. Minutes after the aforementioned poetic gaffe, he returns with, "A singing bird in a cage/ Who will only fly/ Fly for freedom." That little bird is you, guys! Free yourself from your cage! For freedom!

The record stomps around in this valley before mounting another two-song peak with "In a Little While" and "Wild Honey". On the former, the vulnerability of Bono's "vox" makes a welcome return from minute 3:30 to inject some heartfelt emotion into the tingling doo-wop. "That girl!/ That girl!/ She's mine," Bono bellows with larynx scratches, evoking the dead spirit of Van Morrison. "Wild Honey" similarly ob-la-dis like a giddy Van, and somehow escapes the shame of Bono declaring, "I was a monkey." Testament to the band there.

But it's back into the dark nadir until the album's closer. Bono joins hands with Sin?ad O'Connor in healing the world on the tepid carol, "Peace on Earth". "Jesus, can you take the time/ To throw a drowning man a line," Bono asks. Hey, if the world is so dark, take off your sunglasses. Bono's Healing Heart takes a "look at the world" on the next track, and discovers that people "feel all kinds of things." Indeed.

But not even Tom Waits' grizzled pipes could salvage the atrocity of "New York". Over one of the best musical beds he's ever been offered, Bono weaves a Hallmark lover's tale, in the city where "Irish, Italians/ Jews, and Hispanics/ Religious nuts [and] political fanatics/ [Stir] in the stew/ Happily/ Not like me and you." Subtle breakbeat drumming and glistening guitar be damned, Bono will ruin a song. And so the story goes for the entire album-- one of the band's finest, if not for the tweeting and hooting of The Fly and his grating lyrics. Beautiful day, certainly, but the rest of the week was all jetlag and rain. Can't The Edge sing, too?

-Brent DiCrescenzo, November, 2000

lol. i love bono and all, but for some reason i love anti-bono articles.

look at it this way, he had to be impressed with something bono has done to be so passionate about hating him.

A review that doesn't mention Kite, isn't worth reading. The guy fails to mention U2's best tune on the record, and he gets paid for this? Also, why would the editor of the magazine allow someone with a blatant dislike for the band write the article? Isn't that just as bad as getting a superfan to do it? Really unprofessional work. Pitchfork tends to focus on the indie flavor of the moment, not music in general.

Pitchfork has what Spin had from 1987-91 (and probably beyond): the misguided idea that to gain indie-cred, you need to bash U2.

Pitchfork critics also picked the horrendous album by The Rapture ("Echoes"...the worst collection of lyrics ever) as the best album for 2003 (when Do Make Say Think's "Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn" offered such a more superior choice).

That said, i actually thought that Pitchfork would've given ATYCLB a way lower mark than they did.

I have a theory that the people at Pitchfork used to love U2 but began hating them the second anyone other than college radio fans knew who they were.

I personally think ATYCLB is boring and tame compared to other U2 albums and has some shaky lyrics, but I can't stand the snide tone of Pitchfork's reviews. :down:

Mac Phisto said:

The record stomps around in this valley before mounting another two-song peak with "In a Little While" and "Wild Honey".

MrBrau, I think Kite is "reviewed" in this sentence after Walk on is reviewed.

LOL, I don't see what hating Bono has to do with U2's music but ok...also I fail to see a outright negative review being any more credible than a outright positive one.

Interestingly enough, even most hating reviews of the album will admit it has strong songs.
True, some of the lyrics may be somewhat cliche, but then again, being straighforward and honest in your music is too - isn't that one of the biggest reasons that makes U2 popular?

Various parts of that article could quite easily pass for satire.

Axver said:
Well, at this point, U2 is basically an economic/political institution, so satire would be quite appropriate. (I don't mean that disrespectfully, either.... it's just that satire is often reserved for political institutions.)

It's a common thing for reviews to trow in a ton of mockery when being critical. Makes the article less directly brutal and allows them to look witty. And seriously Bono's such a huge target for satire after he spent the 90's creaking a joke image for himself. He's created a such a huge character that it always does what it's supposed to absorb all the flack and hail of bullets so that the real Bono doesn't feel a scratch. Articles like this prove that what Bono did in the 90's was a perfect tactic to avoid getting hurt by cricism. Heck Bono's Fly Sheilds are enough to even protect most of the band. It's a common fact that most people who atack U2 direct their dislike at Bono, and we all know why. Cause he planned it that way. And after years of tweaking the ballon target of public personal it works flawlessly.

About the only thing about the article that annoyed me was him dissing New York, one of few songs on that album I genuinely like.

Axver said:
replace some song titles and lyrics and you could even write 75% of this review about Achtung Baby

Back
Top Bottom