Beautiful Day UNappreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Does anyone agree with me that this song is hugely over-rated?

Musically uninteresting, lyrically trite, and by Bono's own admission it owes a debt to AHA's The Sun Always Shines on TV (which I happen to think is a far better song).

I fail to understand the near universal adulation for this song!

I really like it. Its my fav. song - along with Electrical Storm - post 2000.

Why universal adulation? Its catchy, and in UK, was the theme music for football highlights programme 'The Premiership'. Song is now always linked with Football for me. U2 and Football, all any guy needs! And this is a fan site so I guess a lot of people like U2's music :wink:

Exit thru Wire said:
I really like it. Its my fav. song - along with Electrical Storm - post 2000.

Why universal adulation? Its catchy, and in UK, was the theme music for football highlights programme 'The Premiership'. Song is now always linked with Football for me. U2 and Football, all any guy needs! And this is a fan site so I guess a lot of people like U2's music :wink:

'Fav song post 2000' - that's fair enough, but to hear some people talk about it you'd think it was their favourite U2 song ever!

financeguy said:

'Fav song post 2000' - that's fair enough, but to hear some people talk about it you'd think it was their favourite U2 song ever!

If it was, what would be the big deal? it's ranked very high up on my list of U2 songs and would probably get into my top 10 if not 15. My favourite varies from Lemon to Kite to Alex Descends Into Hell.....just depends on my mood but BD is veyr high up for me.

I don't understand what everyone sees in this song either. It's so faux inspirational and trite. It sounds like some crap band like Matchbox 20 or Train wrote a song where they try to sound like U2 but miss the point entirely.

I wouldnt know where to rank it, its not my all time favourite. However, if I was making a fav. U2 songs compilation CD it would nearly always be on there, so I guess its top 20 for me.

Bono's shades said:
I don't understand what everyone sees in this song either. It's so faux inspirational and trite. It sounds like some crap band like Matchbox 20 or Train wrote a song where they try to sound like U2 but miss the point entirely.

Bono's shades, you are my best friend in the world ever. :wink:

starvinmarvin said:
You probably don't like BD because it announced U2's return from the pits of crapdom aka Pop.

Actually, I don't particularly rate Pop. I prefer it to ATYCLB but it wouldn't be among my favourites. So there!

Why doesnt somebody make a Where The Streets Have No Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, or New Years Day unappriciation thread....Amazing how U2 fans in general are caught up in the past music so much when really the current new stuff is just as good and most of the time better then what was done in the 80s as a whole.

U2 may live by the motto "fuck the past kiss the future", but the fans live by the motto "fuck the future, kiss the past"

Yahweh said:
Amazing how U2 fans in general are caught up in the past music so much when really the current new stuff is just as good and most of the time better then what was done in the 80s as a whole.

I would strongly but respectfully disagree with you on that.

Anybody that would say Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire or Rattle and Hum is better then what theyve done post 2000, is to me really grasping at straws.

Only thing they did in the 80s that could be argued to be better then both the new albums is Joshua Tree, and only thing that was done that could be argued to be better in the 90s was Achtung Baby.

The 80s albums are great albums but in the big picture on a song per song basis they are hugely over rated in the catalogue.

Yahweh said:
Anybody that would say Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire or Rattle and Hum is better then what theyve done post 2000, is to me really grasping at straws.

Only thing they did in the 80s that could be argued to be better then both the new albums is Joshua Tree, and only thing that was done that could be argued to be better in the 90s was Achtung Baby.

The 80s albums are great albums but in the big picture on a song per song basis they are hugely over rated in the catalogue.

Unforgettable fire is a musical masterpiece, and U2's best all IMO of course, but I do think that ATYCLB is above most of the 80's and 90's stuff

1. TUF
2. TJT
3. AB
4. ATYCLB

But i love Boy, October and War for the rawness, Rattle and hum is okay I guess, Zoropa is great, Pop has its good and bad, and HTDAAB is great also.

And on the first topic, how can you not like Beautifu; Day it is a classic, brillant song.

Beautiful Day has suffered from being way to overplayed... but its still a good song.
Not as good as most of the songs fans think it is, but still pretty damn good none-the-less.:)

Yahweh said:

As for The Unforgettable Fire, its better than ATYCLB and is my joint 4th favourite U2 album along with HTDAAB.
The other 80's stuff (apart from The Joshua Tree, of course), whilst I appreciate and like it, Id agree that it isn't better than their last 2 albums.
Pop and Achtung Baby are both better than the past 2 albums, and Zooropa is probably at least equal to ATYCLB (both albums would wind up somewhere in the middle of my U2 album rankings).

Id rank my top 4/5 albums as:

1. AB
2. TJT
3. Pop
4. TUF/ HTDAAB

I think the only reason people think it's overrated at all is because it gets so much play. We'd all love to hear Bad on the radio every day:drool: That's not gonna happen so I'm happy to hear BD whenever. I like the lyrics though they maybe sappy for some, it's uplifting for me:shrug:

See the world in green and blue
See China right in front of you
See the canyons broken by cloud
See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out
See the bedouin fires at night
See the oil fields at first light, and
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood, all the colors came out
It was a beautiful day

Sounds just like something Rob Thomas wrote. :huh: Didn't Bono steal these lines from Back 2 Good?

Edge backing vocals. :drool:

Despite my distaste for ATYCLB as a whole, Beautiful Day is probably my second favorite U2 song of the 00's. Amazing in every conceivable way.

Yahweh said:
Why doesnt somebody make a Where The Streets Have No Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, or New Years Day unappriciation thread....Amazing how U2 fans in general are caught up in the past music so much when really the current new stuff is just as good and most of the time better then what was done in the 80s as a whole.

U2 may live by the motto "fuck the past kiss the future", but the fans live by the motto "fuck the future, kiss the past"

While I wouldn't list any of the songs you mentioned, Yahweh, I can rattle off a slew of songs from the 80's and 90's that would very much be "unappreciated" by me.

BD may have that feeling of being "over-rated" simply because it's easily U2's biggest hit this decade. "Vertigo" is rapidly approaching that phase as well. Just as U2 was known in the 80's for the songs you mentioned (along with "With or Without You" and arguably "Desire"), U2 are known in the 00's for BD and "Vertigo". And just like those 80's songs, over-playing can make them less appreciated.

Fortunately, the lyrics in BD are amongst Bono's best. Comparing the view of space to a man's destitution is quite intriguing as it shows the bigger picture and removes the focus of the individual. But I guess all people hear is the catchy refrain...

Where the Streets have No Name is my favourite song by U2 by the way but I don't dislike anybody that would say the same about Beautiful Day because it is a great track.

It's ... okay. If I'm in the right mood, I love to hear it, but from the get-go, I've found it a little lacking. It needs more oomph or something. I don't mind the lyrics, though.

The only reason I think I'm not a big BD fan is that it's not a very good album opener to me. It takes too long to rock out, and it's certainly not a majestic lead in like A Sort of Homecoming or Streets.

It's not a bad song but it must be one of the most popular songs ever with a real generic chorus, if you even want to call it that.

And this is coming from someone who loves almost everything on the new album.

Walk On should really be holding a higher place in the public consciousness, as well as U2 fandom. While the live version may be superior, I still think the song is far and away the best thing on ATYCLB, and if they would have made a better video to promote it in the U.S. it could have been a classic.

it's good as single, but isn't one of their best songs

great lyrics... for a single! maybe is too "happy" for me or something

lazarus said:
It's not a bad song but it must be one of the most popular songs ever with a real generic chorus, if you even want to call it that.
Like probably most of us, the first I heard of "Beautiful Day" was the thirty-second clip that leaked onto the internet way back in the day (it was basically the last thirty seconds of the song, not counting that weird sound at the very end).

When the full version leaked, I was disappointed in the chorus too, especially since the ending was so much more dynamic (doesn't help that the first verse plods along pretty slowly). It's grown on me, though; the main part is Bono singing "it's a beautiful day!" blandly and anticlimactically, but the background harmony makes it pretty interesting. The song isn't really focused around the chorus anyway; it's a big build-up for the ending. The middle eight is also a lot more prominent (and longer) than your usual single (which is noteworthy considering your usual single is mostly preoccupied with fitting as many choruses in as possible, whereas "Beautiful Day" gets away with a scant two in four minutes).

It's interesting that you praised "Walk On," since it's always struck me as the definitive by-the-numbers U2 tune. It's built around a very typical Edge riff (a fair bit of keyboard, but it all blends into the background), whereas "Beautiful Day" has that synth line, doubled up by the bass in the verses and the guitar in the chorus so you can't miss it, and the most prominent guitar is saved for the "touch me..." parts and the outro. It's very much centered around the big chorus (and suffers a bit for it since it drags on after a while, especially on the longer album cut), whereas, as we've discussed, "Beautiful Day" is more about building up to a single climax. There's a chimey guitar solo, even, followed by a pretty weak bridge that uses the safe play on words "home, that's where the hurt is." Take out the stupid intro and the overlong outro (which they did for us, eventually), and there's not a whole lot special about it, except that it all happens to be done particularly well.

But of course, a lot of people here won't like something, well done or not, if it isn't overtly edgy about it (and I'm not talking specifically to lazarus anymore, just Interferencers in general). Really, I think ATYCLB is a much more diverse and daring record than anyone here will ever give it credit for, probably because it's very subtle about achieving its sound (whereas the nineties stuff hit you over the head with it). See, thing about experimentation is, eventually, you make something with what you've learned from those experiments. I can picture the Interference gang slamming Nikola Tesla for selling out with the whole alternating current thing instead of just coming up with whacked out shit all day. Oh well.

(Edit: It's worth mentioning that the last time I tried to defend an ATYCLB song by calling attention to its textures and layers, I got a poorly worded "an ATYCLB song has textures and layers? lol!!!111!!1" reply (as if repeating what I said and noting that you laughed at it were sufficient to disprove my notions). So I'm not expecting much out of this one, but take it for whatever it's worth.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom