ATYCLB = over-rated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
Starts with the four best songs then hits a rut with Kite, picks itself back up with In A Little While and Wild Honey - good but not great - before falling on its arse with the rest of the album which is quite poor, unless, like me, you have the UK version which has one of their best songs on it, GBHF. I just think that even those first four songs could have been better cos the versions of ELevation and Walk On released as singles were way better. Why do that? The thing that made Walk On better was probably that it had a rawer sound. I think the whole album sounds overproduced and too clean which makes it sound like it could've been better but that they tried too hard. Why not put Summer Rain or Stateless on there, they had a bit more sparkle and edge to them that was shined off by the over-production. Anybody else think the same. I think that the problem is that U2 haven't made a great album since Achtung Baby. Great songs maybe, but on, at best, good albums - see Lemon, Stay, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Stuck, Miss Sarajevo versus the crap that is Babyface, Grace, When I Look at The World, Mofo, Dirty Day, etc.
I'm not saying I'm not a fan, but what made albums like Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby great was that they all had class throughout and weren't aiming for that squeaky clean sound (see the improvisation on ELvis Presley and America). So while U2 remain one of my favourite bands I just wish they'd cut out the crap and give us one more great album so they don't get sucked back into the competition.
That siad, I really think that Thomas might do that for them. Hopefully he'll be able to kick Bono's whiny ass into gear and get him writing consistently again!

'Starts with the four best songs then hits a rut with Kite, picks itself back up with In A Little While and Wild Honey - good but not great - before falling on its arse with the rest of the album which is quite poor, unless, like me, you have the UK version which has one of their best songs on it, GBHF.'

I don't mind Kite or IALW, I don't like Wild Honey, Peace On Earth and WILATW are good, New York is average, I simply can't get into Grace, and TGBHF is marvellous (it's on the Australian version too). So basically I disagree with you a bit.

'I just think that even those first four songs could have been better cos the versions of ELevation and Walk On released as singles were way better'

I completely disagree in regards to Walk On. The version they released was not as good as the ATYCLB version. I'm appalled they left out the "Love is not the easy thing/The only baggage you can bring/Is all that you can't leave behind" lines from it; that ruined it for me, seeing that is one of my favourite U2 quotes.

'Why not put Summer Rain or Stateless on there, they had a bit more sparkle and edge to them that was shined off by the over-production'

Summer Rain should've been on there, and I love the other Beautiful Day B-Side, Always, and think it should've been a single in its own right.

Hi Keosulli & Axver ? you both may like this version of ATYCLB. It rocks harder!

Most of us have all of the songs. Or we know U2 fans that do. Or there is the temporary solution of a high quality mp3. We got CD burners or double cassette decks. Or we got family and friends that do. Blank CD-Rs are cheap. Why not make up your own ATYCLB album?

1. Elevation (The minute of the Influx Mix used to open the concerts merged with Tomb Raider Mix)
2. Beautiful Day
3. Walk On (Single Version / Nigel Goodrich)
4. Kite
5. In A Little While
6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
7. New York (Nice Mix)
8. Electrical Storm (Band Version)
9. When I Look At The World
10. Falling At Your Feet
11. Always

For a different mood / occasion / season / etc.:

1. Joy (Mick Jagger & Bono & Pete Townsend)
2. Blue*
3. Never Let Me Go (Opening narration edited out)
4. When The Stars Go Blue
5. Summer Rain
6. Wild Honey
7. Don?t Take Your Guns To Town
8. Peace On Earth
9. Stateless
10. Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version)
11. Grace

* English lyrics written by Bono. Performed by Zucchero. Great tune that?s worth downloading in order to check it out. It was about a month ago that I read that either Bono or U2 will be performing on a new Zucchero Duets album. I hope they do Blue.

Other Possible Picks From The Pre & Post ATYCLB Era:

1.) Beat On The Brat (2:35) ? U2
2.) ?Daybreak? (Instrumental - David Holmes Remix of Beautiful Day) (5:33)
3.) Anarchy In The U.S.A ? Adam & Larry & Lanois
4.) Air Suspension (5:39) ? Bono
5.) Big Girls Are Best
6.) A Good Man ? Bono & Dave Stewart
7.) What?s The Story Git? (2:43) ? Edge & Christy Moore
8.) Patrol Car Blues - Edge & Dave Stewart
9.) Slide Away - Bono & Michael Hutchence
10.) Satellite Of Love (Danny Saber Remix) - Bono & Larry & Milla Jovovich
11.) Summer Wine - Bono & The Corrs
12.) Dancin? Shoes ? Bono & Lanois
13.) That?s Life - Bono
14.) Perfect Day ? Bono & Various Artists
15.) New Day ? Bono & Wyclef Jean
16.) What?s Going On? (The London Version) Bono / Edge / Eno / Martin
17.) Lean On Me ? Bono & Kirk Franklin
18.) The Hands That Built America (Soundtrack Mix) (4:35)
19.) L ?Incontro - Bono & Andrea Bocelli
20.) Miserere - Bono & Pavarotti & Zucchero
21.) Ave Maria - Bono & Pavarotti
22.) American Prayer ? U2 & Uganda Choir

keosulli said:
That siad, I really think that Thomas might do that for them. Hopefully he'll be able to kick Bono's whiny ass into gear and get him writing consistently again!

That would be a tall order for Bono. He hasn't been writing consistently for 20 years. It's been all an inconsistent turmoil after the War album.

Cheers,

J

Interesting. I was just listening to it this morning and I love it. I don't listen to every song on it, but it's good and has a lot of heart and soul. I think maybe POE or Grace could have been replaced by Summer Rain, but it's fine. I don't know why people have such a problem with it and complain so much. If I were going to pick on an album by U2, this would not be the one!

Why the fuck do people feel compelled to make threads like this anymore? Are you trying to change everyone's opinion by stating in great length the reasons you don't like ATYCLB?? Hoping others will read your post and say "hey, he's right. And to think, I've been enjoying the album for almost three years. Stupid me."

I love ATYCLB. I admit that I think the first 6 songs are better than the last 6 songs (If you count TGBHF on the version I have). But I like it all, and no one is going to change my opinion on that. If you don't like it, that's your business. Nobody really cares that much. Just like some like POP, some don't. But I do, for reasons that are my own. You wouldn't understand.

I haven't read the thread (reason mentioned in another thread but can be summarised in 'friend's' and 'house') but as long as it includes In A Little While in good it's ok.

C ya!

Marty (who really should stop posting)

- I think Kite is one of the greatest U2 songs ever.

- The last four songs are not in the same class with the Beautiful Day - Wild Honey run, but I still like them. GBHF I could live without; nothing special IMO.

- Summer Rain is not strong enough, better off as a B-Side.

- I too am hoping for a more raw, unpolished sound on the next one, I love ATYCLB but do not want a Part II.

- Elvis Presley & America is IMO the only song on UF that lets it down slightly.

- We do need a new U2 album to have something new to talk about.

Last edited:
All That You Can't Leave Behind, sums up the way I feel about this venture for U2. I do admit I didn't get into POP untill after I read so much about it not being one of their best. Now, I can't believe that anyone - who doesn't like it - has ever, really-even listened to it to any great extent. And popmartinjn I like this sig:
"People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

bonosgirl84 said:

get really, really high and listen to it again.
you'll change your mind.

:wink:

hahahaha.

Can we have a civilized discussion?... so far this thread hasn't turned to bitch slapping and album posturing.

:up:

I respectfully disagree with the fact that the first side of the album far exceeds the B side. Maybe my reasons are related to the ordering, where the first 5 songs were technically all singles... which saw a vast amount of video/radio airplay. I just wanted to convey the fact that some people do appreciate songs like New York and In A Little While. Songs like those have had a more redeeming quality for myself... but then again it is an opinion.

I've slagged this issue enough.

Last edited:
The_acrobat said:
I love ATYCLB. I admit that I think the first 6 songs are better than the last 6 songs (If you count TGBHF on the version I have). But I like it all, and no one is going to change my opinion on that. If you don't like it, that's your business. Nobody really cares that much. Just like some like POP, some don't. But I do, for reasons that are my own. You wouldn't understand.

Exactly.

Basically, the only song I'm iffy on off of there is "New York", but even that one, if I'm in the right mood for it, can be great to listen to. The first 6 songs, along with "Grace", are my personal favorites, but I like the other stuff on there, too.

*Wishes that "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" had been put on the American version of the CD*

As for the comments about UF...I really like that album. "Elvis Presley and America" is a very odd song...but it's kinda neat.

Angela

This is an old topic but OK:

I think the album will go down as one of U2's strongest efforts, because since a long time we have strong songs again and versatile music (and I think album stands the test of time well). I think Kite is one of their best studio efforts and one of best loved live songs. (and too bad it wasn't a single. and In a little while IMO, instead of Walk on and Elevation)

Songs after Wild honey - a lot of people say they are not as good as the first half - maybe that's because there were no singles from the later half (I think POE or WILATW could have been single potentially) :

Peace on Earth is a grower (for me at least) with IMO the best lyrics on the album.
When I look at the world, instant charmer with thoughtful lyrics (appropriately follows POE). Wonder how it would have done live.
New York - I must admit I like it a bit less than I did at the beginning however it really shines live. Perhaps it was a single candidate since it was played at the ATYCLB promotional tour already?
Grace - if nothing else it's an interesting change to hear U2 play a melody like this, similar to MDH soundtrack ambiental closer.

I agree that Summer Rain could have been added to the album (maybe with different lyrics instead of the "just as you find me..." part repeated), while Stateless was already put elsewhere.

Production/song preference is a matter of taste IMO.

Last edited:
I somewhat agree with the original post. I like the album, just as I like or love almost everything U2 does, but I don't think it was quite the masterpiece it was made out to be. A little to "squeeky clean", as mentioned. The more raw live versions are better IMO- Especially "New York". This is the case with many of their albums though. They expect a lot out of themselves and consquently try almost too hard in the studio I think.
But again, it's all about personal opinion. As I sit and write this, a new idea comes to mind- This may in fact be one of their best works but just apealling to a somewhat different audience. As U2 fans, many of us (like the original poster and myself) favor the raw passion and energy over the clean, perfectly polished sound. ATYLB is a little more in the direction of an adult oriented rock sound- explaining why some U2 fans feel the way they do but why the album is gained such widespread appeal.

U2girl said:
Peace on Earth is a grower (for me at least) with IMO the best lyrics on the album.
When I look at the world, instant charmer with thoughtful lyrics (appropriately follows POE). Wonder how it would have done live.
I totally agree with you. It took me awhile to get into POE and WILATW but I skip over them much less than I did before.

WILATW has been slipped into Bad live; I have a live version that sounds really good and I think that's what finally sold me on the song.

Kite can bring me to tears if I'm in that kind of a mood.

I've said this very recently, but I LOVE ATYCLB. It's not my favorite, or even in my top 3 (this week), but I still play it a lot.

I also like Kite. Just that one song would make the album worth buying, for me!
I also love Elvis Presley and America. It might not be a particularly coherent song - i still don't know what it really MEANS as a whole; but the tune is great, and the words sound just right somehow...

mystery girl said:
I also love Elvis Presley and America. It might not be a particularly coherent song - i still don't know what it really MEANS as a whole; but the tune is great, and the words sound just right somehow...
Very well put. It fits together so well...I think because it's improvised and therefore not thoughtout too much, something which can kill a song.

One of their best: BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, NY, IALW, Wild Honey. Focused, smart songwriing that doesn't need bells & whistles. You want "innovation" go try and listen to Radiohead of late. You want songs? listen to ATYCLB. They go back to the direct approach and it works. Their 3rd masterpiece. Done.

Personally, I think it's quite a stretch to call ATYCLB a 'masterpiece'.

The lyrics are weak (for U2), the themes are all over the place and Bono's voice is sub-par. Plus, the jacket art is totally uninspiring.

Back
Top Bottom