Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He posted it in another thread about half an hour ago. I figured it was an honest mistake, but now I'm not so sure. maybe he just really wants people to hear it?????

psst *whispers* or maybe hes a little :coocoo:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet in this thread, but the deluxe book has a picture of a bulletin board with all the songs being worked on.

Tripoli and Chromium Chords (Fez--Being Born's working title) are listed separately, so we can strike down that BS about them being the same song.

Other titles listed are:

I Was Lost
Not As Yet
Diorama
Kingdom of Your Love

So if you include Winter, Every Breaking Wave and Tripoli, we're now up to seven songs that are at some level of completion.

Eight, if Mercy finally makes it to an album..

Agreed. How many bands have songs called "All I Want Is You". No one's gonna sue over that.

I remember looking at my cd rack and seeing the following albums
stacked on top of each other:
Peter Gabriel: UP
Ani Difranco: Up Up Up Up Up
REM: Up

Sort of creepy actually.

Wow, they're hyping a new album three days after their most recent one released? This has to be a land-speed record for any band, ever.

yeah no kidding. That's what makes me think they're not bullshitting. otherwise everyone is going to ask them WAT HAPPEN 2 DA NEW ALBUM!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

THREE DAYS LATER: U2 unofficially announces the next album, with "Moon Mercy (S Edit)" as the lead single.

:lol:

If they call it "Songs of Ascent" with a mountain cover people are going to think it's an album full of mountain climbing shanties. :shrug:

Can't say I'm too excited by the idea of a more mellow album from them (parts of NLOTH are in a slower tone anyway), so hopefully it'll have at least some sort of variety in the final product.

Wouldn't mind seeing a finished Mercy myself either!

I like Eno and Lanois... but they aren't above reproach.

Some of the work on Passengers was abysmal.

The best work comes from mutual pressure, not U2 bending over for Eno.
Good point, but Passengers was never meant to be a U2 album and didn't involve Lanois; still, I blame the boys a bit for ATYCLB, but that was still U2's choice. If you listen to Bono these days, he's completely off. His favorite song is Breathe; he recently questioned the validity of Eno's viewpoint, insulted prog rock (when Mogwai can be extremely moving) and keeps wanting self-conscious hits because he thinks U2's legacy resides there. He's lost confidence in the band's smartest approach historically: the band's best songs came out of not caring about how the mainstream would receive them.

My sense is that the best stuff from the new album involved the least of the new U2's self-consciousness to be loved. That's very sad that the band's instincts are that lousy and that they couldn't pull off a great tune without Lanois and Eno co-writing them.

A lot of my upset belies my fear that U2 hasn't really realized the folly of its approach this decade and can easily revert because Bono hasn't resolved his issues of wanting to be appreciated in the most superficial way by the widest number of people, rather than being deeply appreciated by a slightly smaller number.

These days, I'm much more trusting of Adam and especially Larry. I used to think it was the rhythm section that was traditionally holding back the band, but now it seems The Edge (with his praising of Oasis' Wonderwall as a song he wish he wrote) and Bono are the conservative ones.

wonder if it's a next step on from I'll Go Crazy If I... , what with the climbing/hill/mountain theme?

Can't say I'm too excited by the idea of a more mellow album from them (parts of NLOTH are in a slower tone anyway), so hopefully it'll have at least some sort of variety in the final product.

Wouldn't mind seeing a finished Mercy myself either!

That's exactly what I want. U2's slower songs ae my favorites.

Good point, but Passengers was never meant to be a U2 album and didn't involve Lanois; still, I blame the boys a bit for ATYCLB, but that was still U2's choice. If you listen to Bono these days, he's completely off. His favorite song is Breathe; he recently questioned the validity of Eno's viewpoint, insulted prog rock (when Mogwai can be extremely moving) and keeps wanting self-conscious hits because he thinks U2's legacy resides there. He's lost confidence in the band's smartest approach historically: the band's best songs came out of not caring about how the mainstream would receive them.

My sense is that the best stuff from the new album involved the least of the new U2's self-consciousness to be loved. That's very sad that the band's instincts are that lousy and that they couldn't pull off a great tune without Lanois and Eno co-writing them.

A lot of my upset belies my fear that U2 hasn't really realized the folly of its approach this decade and can easily revert because Bono hasn't resolved his issues of wanting to be appreciated in the most superficial way by the widest number of people, rather than being deeply appreciated by a slightly smaller number.

These days, I'm much more trusting of Adam and especially Larry. I used to think it was the rhythm section that was traditionally holding back the band, but now it seems The Edge (with his praising of Oasis' Wonderwall as a song he wish he wrote) and Bono are the conservative ones.
I think you are insulting human intelligence - people are moved by all different types of songs - people aren't idiots - they're not going to stand in a stadium after forking out 50 odd quid for a ticket if they don't appreciate what they're seeing and hearing

i´ve also seen that in the box set book is another picture with "songs of ascent" mentioned on it. and this bulletin board with the song titels is sweet...they paint some hearts to the songs..probably to mark their favourites. hehe;)

so when do we start the "so when does the album leak" part1 thread?:hyper:

i´ve also seen that in the box set book is another picture with "songs of ascent" mentioned on it. and this bulletin board with the song titels is sweet...they paint some hearts to the songs..probably to mark their favourites. hehe;)

so when do we start the "so when does the album leak" part1 thread?:hyper:

LOL! the nice thing about this time around is that we'll be so wrapped up in the tour that i have a feeling we're just going to randomly get an announcement around the end of the year. my feeling is that this time around they'll want to capitalize on the holiday season. so maybe an announcement in September.

That's exactly what I want. U2's slower songs ae my favorites.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I love my fair share of their slower songs too. I'm just saying that I hope we don't miss out on some faster songs as a result, that's all.

In the end though, a good song is a good song, right?

Although someone responded negatively to this post, I'd have to say that I've rarely seen a truer one. I'm not sure how avant-garde Adam and Larry may be - unfortunately I get the impression they're still along for the ride, are happy with the band's sound, and wouldn't want something truly experimental - but I can tell you that Bono and the Edge definitely seem like they're in la-la land. For the past two months I've been hyping new U2 to friends, saying that they're one of the few bands in control of their own destiny; unlike the Stones, who no one expects anything out of, U2 are still counted on to deliver; they inspire hope; they haven't simply "dropped off" like other bands. And even if you think they have, they can still get it together. I've been saying the band has a mental block. Unfortunately I don't think this mental block, which seemingly resulted from Pop's "failure", is to be easily lifted. Bono and the Edge are the leaders of the band and they're clearly stuck in a safe place they can't get out of, craving the fame that ATYCLB returned to them. It used to be they didn't care about the mainstream and made great music anyway that was widely accepted. Now it would seem they're thinking too hard about being widely accepted and the songs are written/dumbed down with that in mind. Clearly this wasn't the case up until this decade; at the very least it wasn't the case with Achtung Baby or Zooropa. I think if they made another conscious decision to "fuck with the mainstream" and truly said "fuck it" they'd be the band we know and loved. They can still write pop songs but I just think the songwriting is taking a back seat to the fame. And its a mental thing that makes Bono question Eno (who just made a fabulous album with David Byrne - "Strange Overtones" puts "Moment of Surrender" to shame, IMO) and makes him think "Breathe" is the best song - its one that can touch the masses because its chorus lyrics are designed to do so, not because its simply that good. Anyway, two men's opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom