All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote!!!

• All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 64 36.6%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 111 63.4%

• Total voters
naturally, the newer fans don't get zooropa. if they actually started likeing u2 recently for their current output, they're also going to like matchbox twenty and bon 7ovi.

it's very simple.

zooropappropriate!

hay guyZ! wut iz goin on in dis topiX?!!

Zooropa got my vote in this thread, but wouldn't in the Bomb/Zoo thread. I think Zooropa is a fine album, and i've never liked ATYCLB's 2nd half. But you know what that means? In the end this is all opinion. You Zooropa or ATYCLB fans can't say anything is "fact". If you think Edge sounds good on something, or Bano has better lyrics on another, that's your personal taste in music.

Oh, And Zooropa will beat HTDAAB in 2008? WHAOMG, can i borrow ur tyme masheen?!11!/? :hyper:

kkthxbai

Thank god Zooropa is beating the shit out of ATYCLB. Some of the anti-Zooropa comments in this thread make me feel like rolling my eyes straight out of my head.

I don't know how anyone couldn't appreciate The Edge's guitar work on Zooropa. The unenlightened always say, "Oh, Edge hardly did anything on Zooropa." Like fuck he did hardly anything! He's all over Zooropa, using effects other guitarists could only dream of using that well. You can't even compare that amazing, spacey sound he got for the title track to something as musically bland as, say, Walk On. Anyone can recreate the classic chiming Edge delay on Walk On, and in fact, most of the ATYCLB songs in general. On the other hand, it's very difficult to recreate some of the mind-blowing stuff he came up with on Zooropa. I'd shave off my eyebrows if I could get the exact same sounds that Edge got on that album!

So really, don't underestimate the guitar playing on Zooropa. It's amazing and it blows my mind every time.

Zoomerang96 said:
naturally, the newer fans don't get zooropa. if they actually started likeing u2 recently for their current output, they're also going to like matchbox twenty and bon 7ovi.

it's very simple.

zooropappropriate!

Another stupid Zoomerang post, I see. Really, get a clue. The "newer fans" don't get Zooropa? Yes, your vast generalisation is 100% acccurate considering the fact I became a fan in 2002 and said on the very first page of this thread that "Zooropa pounds the shit out of ATYCLB, grinds it down to a fine powder, and pours it down the drain."

Also, get a new frigging keyboard already. They don't cost that much. There's no such band as Bon Sevenovi.

I enjoy Zooropa far more than I do ATYCLB.

I voted HTDAAB and The Joshua Tree in the previous "vs. Zooropa" threads, but I think Zooropa is easily a better album than ATYCLB.

GibsonGirl said:
Some of the anti-Zooropa comments in this thread make me feel like rolling my eyes straight out of my head.

:lmao:

btw, I agree with your entire post! Guitar effects on Zooropa :up:

Axver said:

Also, get a new frigging keyboard already. They don't cost that much. There's no such band as Bon Sevenovi.

:lol: Can't you see that he's made it his trademark or something. :sexywink:

Axver said:

If you play guitar, wouldn't you appreciate the fact Edge actually managed to get those "weird noises" out of his guitar? I mean, that's some impressive stuff that he did.

I love Zooropa, but I do see where this person is coming from. I do appreciate Edge getting weird noises on his guitar, but the guitar *playing* on Achtung and Pop is a lot more impressive, it transcends any effects he may have been using.

Axver said:

Another stupid Zoomerang post, I see. Really, get a clue. The "newer fans" don't get Zooropa? Yes, your vast generalisation is 100% acccurate considering the fact I became a fan in 2002 and said on the very first page of this thread that "Zooropa pounds the shit out of ATYCLB, grinds it down to a fine powder, and pours it down the drain."

My first album was ATYCLB, which led to liking the rest of the band later. Just because people may prefer ATYCLB or HTDAAB to Pop/Zooropa whatever doesn't make them inferior, as long as they have listened to the albums in order to make that judgement.
My personal opinion is that Zooropa is generall a better album, but ATYCLB is more accessible which suits me fine.
It pisses me off the way people can't offer opinions on why they like albums rather than:
"Zooropa sucks, clearly ATYCLB is better"
or
"ATYCLB is mainstream crap, Zooropa owns because its weird"

If anything, newer fans have found it more difficult since they probably were "unfortunate" enough to listen to "crap" like ATYCLB and Bomb before the glory of the 90s.

Zootlesque said:
I'll bet that if this poll was done in late 2000 or 2001, the results would've been a lot different! A lot like Chizip's Bomb poll. That tells me that these albums will slowly go down in popularity as the years pass but classics like War, UF, JT, Achtung, Zooropa and Pop will remain in people's memories forever. I really think it's the quirky different-sounding albums that stand the test of time.

It tells me people who got into U2 w/ AB, Zooropa, and Pop, are the biggest fans of AB, Zooropa, and Pop.

This isn't even a contest. Zooropa will kick ATYCLB's ass anyday of the week, including days that Zooropa is dying of an unknown terminal illness.

Disclaimer: I was not trying to offend anyone by referencing dying due to a terminal illness, please don't take it that way.

Alright guys, I'm seriously tired of all the bitching in this forum! The only reason I made this 'retarded' poll is I thought it would be interesting to see how the 2 extremes of U2's career rank up among Interferencers. Can't people just vote without putting down the other camp? :huh:

Axver said:

well, i got what i wanted didn't i. thanks.

do i really need to tell you that i can't get a new keyboard?

and really, i'm surprised you had the time to reply to my comment in the first place. are you sure you shouldn't be memorizing a few more essential setlist stats for us? i can't quite recall if they played wire in the first encore back in their glasgow 86 gig, the first one that is. could you help a mate out?

Zoomerang96 said:
do i really need to tell you that i can't get a new keyboard?

Like I believe that.

And anyway, Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Character Map, copy and paste 'j'.

Not that hard.

and really, i'm surprised you had the time to reply to my comment in the first place. are you sure you shouldn't be memorizing a few more essential setlist stats for us? i can't quite recall if they played wire in the first encore back in their glasgow 86 gig, the first one that is. could you help a mate out?

Wow, insulting someone because they have a depth of knowledge is the best you can do?

I think Zooropa is a great album, but among all of U2's albums, it gets the second lowest rating in my book, with October being on the bottom.

I don't think there is any contest between the two albums. ATYCLB is definitely superior and could have been U2s best album had the quality of some songs been better. I remember when Zooropa came out, or rather the first time "Numb" got played on the radio, and how horrified most die hard fans were. Some essentially became non-fans after Zooropa.

But Zooropa really is a great album, but its certainly not one of the best that U2 have put out.

I voted All that you can't leave behind, as I'm not a big fan of Zooropa. There are some good songs on the album but I get bored faster with it than with ATYCLB.

Oh okay, I see it's back to opinions being fact. Cool...

Zooropa, Lemon, Numb, Stay, Dirty Day, Wanderer and on and on up against what? Beautiful Day is the standout U2 track of this decade, by a mile, and is the only one of a quality worthy of competing with Zooropa. What else has that album got that stacks up? Walk On??? Please. A very tight and pretty little formulatic anthem number, it's the U2 song that fans from the 80's who got confused and scared during the 90's have been praying they'd go back to since they heard the first riff of The Fly. Stuck in a Moment? Yeah sure it has it's Philly Soul influences, but so does half the Backstreet Boys back catalogue. It's a touching song for sure, but on the album it's incredibly poor. The production is awful. Kite? Great on the Slane DVD. Meanderingly boring everywhere else. When I Look At The World? B-Side at best. Anything else? Oh yeah, Elevation. This band U2, who recorded albums like Achtung Baby and the Joshua Tree and War and The Unforgettable Fire, does this song Elevation. Can you believe that??? Woo-hoo!

Earnie Shavers said:
Oh okay, I see it's back to opinions being fact. Cool...

What else has that album got that stacks up? Walk On??? Please. A very tight and pretty little formulatic anthem number, it's the U2 song that fans from the 80's who got confused and scared during the 90's have been praying they'd go back to since they heard the first riff of The Fly.

Jeez, generalize much?

Ya songs like Babyface, trying to throw your arms around the world and Mysterious ways scared the crap out of me!
:rolleyes:
So challenging!

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Jeez, generalize much?

Ya songs like Babyface, trying to throw your arms around the world and Mysterious ways scared the crap out of me!
:rolleyes:
So challenging!

I'm generalizing off the generalizations. If that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom