Adam Clayton's best song on Atomic Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
How AMAZING is Adam's bass on "Man and a Woman"??? Is this his best U2 performance *ever*, after "New Year's Day"??? His playing is sooooo groovy, baby! :hyper:

Anyone else think the same? If not, what's his best track on the new album?

* MoFo * said:
mysterious ways is the grooviest. shame im not a bird so i can truly appreciate the rumble ;)

I once had a girl ask me to put MW on the stereo so she could quote, "sit on the speaker." :ohmy:

And LyricalDrug when I saw the subject of this post I immediately thought of AMAAW. Great song, great bassline.

Hmmm I don't really know, I'll have to go and listen to the album for the umpteenth dozen time since I got it on Sunday.... Then I'll say!

City of Blinding Lights is hands down my favorite of his work on this album.

I believe you're talking Love And Peace Or Else, wich Brian Eno did the bass for.

This is Clayton's best album. I thought Pop couldn't be topped, but his work here is amazing. The Yahweh intro is one of the most beautiful basslines I ever heard. City of Blinding Lights, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, A Man and a Woman, Vertigo... all amazing.

djerdap said:
This is Clayton's best album. I thought Pop couldn't be topped, but his work here is amazing. The Yahweh intro is one of the most beautiful basslines I ever heard. City of Blinding Lights, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, A Man and a Woman, Vertigo... all amazing.

I have to disagree with you on that. Pop is Adams best work. This is one of his strongest albums though. Its really nice to hear Adam again and get sometime to shine since he wasn't much of a factor on ATYCLB.

:adam: = 13 Hz

What about the combination of heavy bass and chiming guitar on SYCMIOYO? Great contrast.

I do think AMAAW has the best groove bass-wise on this album. It's the MW of hut dab!

AussieU2fanman said:
Adam Clayton didn't do the bass on A man and a woman. I'm 90% sure Adam said in an interview that it was Daniel Lanois or somebody else. But it wasn't adam

Funny thing if that is truth, because Adam have A Man And A Woman as his favourite track of the album. He said so in the Radio 1 interview.

In fact, no one ever confirmed that Eno played bass on LPOE. Eno had a keyboard part for the song, but no bass part. They've nicknamed the bass in LPOE "Brian" for some unknown reason.

FullonEdge2 said:
In fact, no one ever confirmed that Eno played bass on LPOE. Eno had a keyboard part for the song, but no bass part. They've nicknamed the bass in LPOE "Brian" for some unknown reason.

Well, Adam's father's name is Brian, but that could be a coincidence?

"the scary bass part" on Love and Peace or Else, is attributed to "Brian."

Well, I'd have to agree that the bass on this album is some of Adam's finest work. Too bad there is so much distortion all over the place.

A Man and a Woman kicks!

I'll go with "Vertigo," myself--not the most technically profound playing, to be sure, but it's quite catchy. It reminds me that the best U2 songs are usually drum-and-bass affairs complemented--not necessarily driven--by Edge's guitar. I know that The Edge comes in with some force in that song, but much of it is really only accompanied by his minimalist playing during the verses. Good stuff all around.

I wanna' point out, though, that "A Man and a Woman" isn't a new bassline, really. It's just "Endless Deep," boys and girls. It's a fine bassline, I guess, but it's like 21 years old...if everyone really likes it so much, I think we'd have to evaluate it not as Clayton's best work on this album, but as a potential candidate for his best work during the War-era. Serious. Listen to it again.

:wink:

If you shout... said:
I'll go with "Vertigo," myself--not the most technically profound playing, to be sure, but it's quite catchy. It reminds me that the best U2 songs are usually drum-and-bass affairs complemented--not necessarily driven--by Edge's guitar. I know that The Edge comes in with some force in that song, but much of it is really only accompanied by his minimalist playing during the verses. Good stuff all around.

I wanna' point out, though, that "A Man and a Woman" isn't a new bassline, really. It's just "Endless Deep," boys and girls. It's a fine bassline, I guess, but it's like 21 years old...if everyone really likes it so much, I think we'd have to evaluate it not as Clayton's best work on this album, but as a potential candidate for his best work during the War-era. Serious. Listen to it again.

:wink:

Huh, I've listened to "Endless Deep" quite a few times, and I've heard A Man and a Woman a couple times...I'm not sure about it being the same bass line? "Endless Deep" has more pronounced bass lines though, you can really hear the bass more than on AMAAW. Well okay, because there's only a few vocals, it's more of an instrumental save those 2 sentences.

If I could get AMAAW without the vocals, (nothing to do with Bono), but just to hear only the music, maybe I could tell.

Wish I could play bass to figure out the terminology. I know a few things here and there, I can read music, can play a flute-like instrument, but doesn't he hold the bass notes longer on "Endless Deep?"

Also there are more "slides" in Endless Deep isn't there? By slide, I mean when he runs his fingers along one string. I've no idea what it's called, but I've seen him do it a couple times in some live concerts. I think there's a few things a slide can mean in a song. :shrug:

That's Adam singing the vocals on "Endless Deep" though ;).

-------------------------

As a of a few listens, "City..lights" and "Original...species", are my 2 faves off this album. City's bass lines too, really like them, they accentuate the chorus, the ooh ooh parts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom