Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can confirm without question that U2 will be mastering work with Arnie Acosta in Santa Monica, California for the entire upcoming week. How might I be aware of this you might ask? I’m a regular client of Arnie’s, and spoke with his assistant today whom had to reschedule our session so he can fully devote to the U2 work! Needless to say I’m not upset about this delay!

The only proof lies within email/phone records, being that this is a real world situation and all. You may contact David Bell at Santa Monica Mastering and see if he is permitted to confirm any specifics. cheers. P.S. Arnie mastered both Achtung & Zooropa and is no longer affiliated with Universal Records. So I would almost certainly assume its nothing NEW

So that leaves the question... why would it be remastered now? After the announcement? Would the band have wanted to wait until after the tour so they can do it themselves? I reckon there's plenty of time anyway before release.

Not too positive galeon. But if it's for an entire week mate it must be a decent sized project. For instance. My work with Arnie will consist of 4 Tracks and consume only less than a day. Mastering truly doesn't take a seasoned pro like him to accomplish beautiful results. an entire week I would believe is some sort of package? Howie Weinberg mastered 'Pop' thus it isn't that. all we have to guess upon is Rattle & Hum, AB, Zooropa & I'm unsure of Passengers.... x

Not too positive galeon. But if it's for an entire week mate it must be a decent sized project. For instance. My work with Arnie will consist of 4 Tracks and consume only less than a day. Mastering truly doesn't take a seasoned pro like him to accomplish beautiful results. an entire week I would believe is some sort of package? Howie Weinberg mastered 'Pop' thus it isn't that. all we have to guess upon is Rattle & Hum, AB, Zooropa & I'm unsure of Passengers.... x
Perhaps that's why they waited until after the tour. They're perfectionists, figures they want full focus on this. It'd be interesting to hear more info on this. :hmm: I doubt they'll do Passengers again though, Larry hates that with a passion, and they'd have to get Eno on board.

I wonder if all the extra discs are done yet, I mean, the tracklisting got pulled and wasn't final. Perhaps they're working those songs as well. They hardly had time inbetween legs the last three years. Plus we still don't know what the last disc contains.

Knowing the way U2 work, I guess 4 songs could easily take a week! :wink:
Especially with Larry and Bono in one room. :wink:

So that leaves the question... why would it be remastered now? After the announcement? Would the band have wanted to wait until after the tour so they can do it themselves? I reckon there's plenty of time anyway before release.

I have heard that people remaster until the last possible minute because of updates in technology. Or something to do with tape de-generation or something. Or it it only happens when the band are 1000% committed to re-issuing. What matters is the process is 'time-sensitive.'

This whole remaster issue is quickly starting to become a deal-breaker for me. At first I was just in it for the shades but it's starting to occur to me just how much cool shit is in the Uber-Deluxe. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet...

At first, I really wanted the Super Deluxe edition, but I changed my mind when I found out that I would basically be getting exactly the same versions of AB and Zooropa that I already own. But if they really are remastered after all, then I think it would be worth it to pay $150 or whatever for a 10-disk set and a nice book, with the only repeat item being the Sydney DVD. So my decision is hanging on whether it's remastered or not.

In mother's glass, sloshing everywhere as I gesticulate with sarcastic air quotes talking about this AB reissue.

This is interesting. Galeongirl, it's possible that you're right in your supposition that someone from the U2 organization actively monitors these forums and have seen the negative reaction to not doing a remaster, and are reconsidering the decision. Or perhaps waiting was their intention all along, but they weren't sure they'd have time to get to it, or that they'd want to do it once they started the work, and that's why they made no formal announcement on it. I said in several posts that I thought one of the possible scenarios was that U2 were waiting until after the tour to actually do the remastering of AB, hence failing to mention in the press release and their silence about it until now.

On the other hand, they might just be working on the "bonus" tracks, or the cover versions that apparently are going to be part of the set, or audio mastering for the Gugenheim film, or something else we know nothing about, or the entire report is erroneous. Either way, this is turning into a mystery concealed in a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom