Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #121
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ultraviolet7
2. I won't ever believe that a band like U2 released an "unfinished" album or something ever slightly different from what they had envisioned for Pop in 1997. Sorry Bono but I don't buy that one. What may have happened is that in hindsight (1999/2000 perhaps?) they may have felt, in view of sales figures or the plans they had for the band, that it had been a mistake to release an album like Pop - but that's a different story altogether.
If all we had were the BO remixes, you'd be right.

But in the spring of 1997, they reworked large chunks of LNOE for a "single" version.

They also rerecorded Please in summer 1997 for a single release.

Plus, the background vocals for Playboy Mansion were recorded while mastering the record. Highly unusual.

So there goes that theory. They were uncertain with Pop from the start.

Also, they announced and sold tickets for the tour 1 month before Pop came out. Hardly a logical decision.

U2 were fucked up in 1997.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

If all we had were the BO remixes, you'd be right.

But in the spring of 1997, they reworked large chunks of LNOE for a "single" version.

They also rerecorded Please in summer 1997 for a single release.

Plus, the background vocals for Playboy Mansion were recorded while mastering the record. Highly unusual.

So there goes that theory. They were uncertain with Pop from the start.

Also, they announced and sold tickets for the tour 1 month before Pop came out. Hardly a logical decision.

U2 were fucked up in 1997.
We get it. You think Pop, generally speaking, sucks.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
HTTT seems to be underrated on this forum. I have to be in the right mood but when I am it is an unequivocally -worthy record.
I think it's Radiohead's ATYCLB, not sonically of course but in the sense that it has 4 or 5 excellent songs and some filler. I do like some of those filler tracks on certain days and not on others, but Backdrifts, I could listen to almost every single day.

It's a very hit and miss album with me, as was Amnesiac.

I love Radiohead, but I think they have 3 fucking great records and two average/good (depending on the day) records and one shitty one (pablo).
Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

We get it. You think Pop, generally speaking, sucks.
That's not my point. Parts of it suck. Parts of it are great. But that's neither here nor there.

People discount U2's current criticism of Pop as "unfinished" as a reaction to bad sales.

Yet their actions in 1997 prove they were being genuine. They were tinkering with it from the get go. It didn't start with the BO in 2002.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 AM   #125
War Child

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Single versions aren't against the norm. They released single versions for the last two albums and also two different versions of a new song included in BO: Electrical Storm.

I've heard the Playboy Mansion story - I don't know if there's any truth in it. It always sounded rather suspicious to me: no band as big as U2 is forced to finish a recording the day they have to master. It may have happened but it seems highly unlikely to me.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #126
War Child

Quote:

People discount U2's current criticism of Pop as "unfinished" as a reaction to bad sales.
Not necessarily. They may have seen it as a bad move in view of the direction they wanted the band to take. (i.e. appealing to a wider audience, etc.)
Old 01-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yea I think the vocals to "Last Night On Earth" were reportedly recorded at the mixing desk the day the album was to be sent for pressing.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 AM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 AM
On a totally unrelated note... the extended guitar solo on Mysterious Ways, Zoo Dublin is just musical sex!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraviolet7
Single versions aren't against the norm. They released single versions for the last two albums and also two different versions of a new song included in BO: Electrical Storm.
It was against the norm for U2 in 1997. They'd done single remixes, but never the new and re-recorded bits we got on Please and LNOE.

The closest would be the Temple Bar Remix of WGRYWH. Another song they were said to be unhappy with.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

It was against the norm for U2 in 1997. They'd done single remixes, but never the new and re-recorded bits we got on Please and LNOE.

The closest would be the Temple Bar Remix of WGRYWH. Another song they were said to be unhappy with.
You do make some valid points.

But...what about the single version of 'Out Of Control' on the U23 Single vs the album version of 'Out Of Control'?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:34 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thom Yorke is an ignorant prick. Radiohead put out 2 good albums The Bends and OK Computer, the rest of them have been marginal at best.

The whining and growning of Radioheads style gets old very fast.....lets try to extend one phrase to last 2 minutes...thats cool isnt it? Its what they do all the time.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:37 AM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
Thom Yorke is an ignorant prick. Radiohead put out 2 good albums The Bends and OK Computer, the rest of them have been marginal at best.

The whining and growning of Radioheads style gets old very fast.....lets try to extend one phrase to last 2 minutes...thats cool isnt it? Its what they do all the time.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 AM   #133
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:

You do make some valid points.

But...what about the single version of 'Out Of Control' on the U23 Single vs the album version of 'Out Of Control'?
Out Of Control on U2:3 came first. Boy's Out Of Control was recorded almost a year later on far superior studio equipment.

It's not even relevant to the discussion, really.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-06-2006, 02:54 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:

That's really funny. I'm going to listen to We Suck Young Blood on repeat. Just for you.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
On a totally unrelated note... the extended guitar solo on Mysterious Ways, Zoo Dublin is just musical sex!
That is totally unrelated, but I felt like quoting it anyway. Because it totally is. Mysterious Ways live = sex.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #136
The Fly

Quote:

There is nothing in my collection that draws me back to listen again and again like Radiohead. to sasy that their music gets old simply shows that you don't understand them, or their brilliant music. Some people can't see it, and others just don't want to.

To get back to the thread.. OK Comp and Achtung are both AMAZING (and probably are my 2 favorite albums). I'm not going to bother to rank either higher than the other. Kid A is also on the same plateau.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #137
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Achtung Baby Beats Ok Computer in every way possible for me.
agreed.

and I'd go one step further, I think Achtung Baby *SHITS ON* OK Computer!

How can you compare them?

Seriously, I think people pose questions like these here just to antagonize me!

Old 01-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #138
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. MIKEphisto
...to say that their music gets old simply shows that you don't understand them, or their brilliant music. Some people can't see it, and others just don't want to
You know, I say the same thing about Sasha and John Digweed's Northern Exposure 1 and 2...

but OK Computer is just numbing to me.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #139
Acrobat

Well I feel like I should start this post with a disclaimer. Something along the lines of “this is my opinion only, not fact, one music fan and his observations and perspective”. Now lets see, Radiohead and U2.

Too great albums but I have to admit, Computer bothers me for a few reasons. I think the major problem was that it was intended to be a concept album, vs. Atchung which turned in to sort of one (Songs to ZooTv to Zooropa). I think Radiohead got lost in their experiment and ideas, producing music that I think often fails to connect to a listener. Fitter Happier I think is an example of that as is Climbing up the Walls.

I think Radiohead kept on going in to Albums the same way. Having a concrete roadmap before. I also think they went allittle too fair on the spectrum.

Music is humanity to a tune. I think on records they forgot parts of that. It was now about the experiment or the concept, not about the connection.

Atchung connects for me. Ok Computor does not. That simple.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #140
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. MIKEphisto

OK Comp and Achtung are both AMAZING (and probably are my 2 favorite albums). I'm not going to bother to rank either higher than the other. Kid A is also on the same plateau.
I agree with this, the 2 GREATEST ALBUMS EVER MADE with Achtung Baby the number 1. Anybody who doesn't appreciate tracks as great as Subteranean Homesick Alien has shit music taste. Just listen to the vocal and guitar inter-play in this song, it is truely wonderful!