A new review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, ah yes, the 80s. I was about 9 years old in 1985....but I must say she was quite hot for even a 9 year old guy like myself. I wonder if she had a crush on Bono in 1985? Now that's really the crux of the issue! (Oh! I just mentioned Bono and "she", Molly Ringwald, in the same sentence! :ohmy: )

paulrg said:

Agree could not I statement this more with agree!

Gold.
Pure gold.
By the way, the exclamation point at the end adds to it millions!
LOL!!! No hard feelings!

This is one long mutherfuc#er of a thread so lets keep it going here. :wink:

super fly guy said:

And why would U2 want to go back anyway? The whole point in a new album is that its a new sound and experience, i for one would be hugely dissapointed if it just sounded the same there other albums.

I think you will find the album is more 80's sounding and I reckon this album is gonna be the one where they may sound like their repeating themselves, which was the danger after Rattle & Hum. The crappy sounding clips I have heard sound very much like early U2, the bridge part of COBL sounds like something off Boy or October to me.

Irvine511 said:

what's amazing is how acceptable it is for people to say and post things about Americans that they would *never* say about any other group on earth -- african, jewish, gay, female, etc.

let's all agree that there are 300m people in America, and about half of them dislike the administration. good people can disagree about American policy, or American adminstrations, but to paint all Americans as some sort of monolithic group -- this would be to think and act in the opposite direction of what U2 stands for.

let's also leave phrases like "you people" to those with small minds who cannot take the time to value individuals -- those like racists, misogynists, anti-semites, and homophobes.

and, for the record, i'm an American who intensely dislikes the bush administration, but i thinks the rest of the world should try living in this country (especially after the mindfuck of the past 3 years) before they start judging how and why people vote. let's think for a change, and not fall back on easy, comfortable generalizations.

I agree with you, and think U2_guys comments were dumb.
But in the same breadth there have been some pretty narrowminded comments coming from (what appears to be) a predominantly American forum towards other nationalities so I agree with you, we should ALL think for a change, and not fall back on easy, comfortable generalisations.

Jim said:

But in the same breadth there have been some pretty narrowminded comments coming from (what appears to be) a predominantly American forum towards other nationalities so I agree with you, we should ALL think for a change, and not fall back on easy, comfortable generalisations.
:up:

shart1780 said:
Can you paste the review here too? I can't get into u2achtung.

I posted it on Interference, but I made a new thread for it so more people would see it. The thread is in this forum (WTAHAN) and is called "Translation (from French) of a Belgium review.

Well said Jim

And may I just add, none of the Americans I've come to know are anything like the narrow stereotyped example of "American" that I always expected. Prejudices are such a con, as U2 fans we should know this!!

Jim said:

yes, there's no question that narrowminded-ness is an international affliction. i apologize for my reaction -- having to deal with stereotypes both in my personal life, and when i was living abroad, i tend to react very quickly to these things.

as for U2, i think it's good that we're getting reviews that are less than rhapsodic. i think it would be greatly disappointing for the record not to live up to the hype, and i'm glad that we're getting a bit more of an even view on what this album is going to be. i believe it will be great, and that U2 will deliver what U2 does better than anyone else: heart, hope, faith, anguish, sadness, joy ... the one word that might capture all these adjectives would be "soul."

however, i do think the days of U2 surprising us are over. what else could they do? they really only did that once with "achtung baby," and it was probably the most successful reinvention/make over in popular music. they basically freed themselves from our expectations of a certain kind of style, but solidified what we will always expect from them -- that U2 spirit, essence, whatever you want to call it -- because that came through on "achtung baby" even though the sounds had changed.

in the end, the sounds are a means to an end, and the end is to create a great U2 record that has all of the intangible U2 qualities (listed above) we all love. i would imagine those looking for a new kind of wallpaper will be disappointed, but those looking for another drink at the fountain of U2 will leave satisfied.

Brunocam said:

wtf i'm portuguese and i couldn't believe when i saw this comment. just because the people who heard it didn't find the album perfect you start to insult the whole country.
Get a life.

Portugal is a beautiful country, and U2 have a large and passionate following there. I was last there in '01 and went to see Tomb Raider at the cinema. At the end when the credits came up a lot of folk stayed and danced in the aisles to Elevation.

And another good thing - if you decide to go there you don't have to stand in line at the airport for hours waiting to be fingerprinted and photographed by the gestapo!

wow what a thread. interesting to see how people get so worked up. i think everyone needs to just relax. by the way im not just blindly throwing my 2 cents into the pot here, im a US citizen who's lived abroad and dealt with plenty of stereotypes. u2_guy we arent all ignorant, only the republicans.... just kidding :wink: by the way, city of god was an amazing brazilian movie, is that an accurate portrayal of rio?

What the hell?! :lmao:

I left this place and when I came back... 15 pages of nothing but arguing about love/hate America. Well, more than 200 replys in my first thread is a good sign... :wink:

Oh and someone said something about Portugal and Uganda... Well, as humans Portuguese people are not inferior neither superior to anyone else. The same goes to Uganda.

About the music in Portugal: Mariza, she even sings with sting and he loves her voice. You gotta hear some songs from Fingertips. They're a nice band (they're 16 old!!!) or Fonzie... well it's punk but It's not as bad as you think. At least they're not inferior to some other bands from another countries. That's my opinion :)

YOU SHALL ALL VISIT PORTUGAL!!! We're really friendly people!! I WELCOME YOU! :drunk:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this thread. Two ordinary people from Portugal get a sneak preview of the album because they apparently have connections with Universal, write what is essentially a POSITIVE preview (I still don't see why most people aren't getting this -- surely it's not a problem with the translation) and suddenly it's a flame war.

First there's people declaring this to be a great/awful album based on nothing but speculation a few clips (oh, and the fact that people go braindead after they turn 40 and can no longer produce great music). Then it turns into a ridiculous my country is better than your country debate. Why would anyone, from any country on Earth not be as entitled to an opinion about a U2 record as anybody else? An opinion is just that. An opinion. Sound and accoustics work the exact same way here than they do in the US, so surely whoever hears the album here is in the exact same position to judge as anyone who hears it anywhere else.

Anyway, this is pointless. I'll just reiterate what Tyagu_Anaykus said. Come to Portugal. We'll have some wine, some great food, talk about U2 and enjoy the sun. Just don't mention football if you happen to be from Greece. :madspit: ;)

I have a feeling this review is bullshit. It sounds too much like NME's review, I just done believe it. Damn people bringing the albums to music execs with handcuffs breifcases, but these two guys on a u2 site hear it? Sounds funny. Even if its true, who cares? The whole world of u2 fans wont love this album.

Well, did NME had two reviewers? and is NME portuguese or in touch in Universal here in Portugal? Try to understand: Universal INVITED two staff members of U2portugal, and if you think they're lying ... here's something:

"Por Tania Almeida:

Em Benfica, nas instalações da Universal, as pessoas vão chegando. A recepção vai ficando cada vez mais ‘animada’. Da sala de audição, começam a ouvir-se alguns dos hits dos U2...mas a atenção não é muita. Afinal, estamos ali com um objectivo muito mais empolgante: tentar descobrir ‘Como Desmantelar Uma Bomba’.
A sala parecia pequena para as cerca de 50 pessoas, mas lá se acomodaram. O ambiente a meia luz permite melhor visualização da imagem projectada na parede: a capa oficial de HTDAAB.
Todos a pronto, silêncio absoluto...Roy Flaming tem a palavra. Roy Flaming, elemento da Universal Londres, faz uma pequena apresentação do novo álbum...e cá vamos nós.
‘Lights go down’...e é projectado o DVD Single.

DVD Single – Imagens que nos são tão familiares, lá estão. U2 em terras portuguesas...ao som do maravilhoso mix de Jacknife Lee....peca mesmo por ser tão ‘curto’!"

now, if you don't understand this litle piece of info, translate it because I can't. I don't have free time today. I'm going out to guimaraes to watch Guimaraes - FC Porto

This woman also wrote a track by track review. None of the two consider this album bad!! Is this hard to understand? Just because they didn't say it's the best album ever that doesn't mean it's bad.

Peace.

oh and about the site:

"U2FA Developers Group is pleased to annouce your site has been reviewed and you have won our Gold Award"

you still think they're lying?

Michael Griffiths said:

Does it need to be? No, it doesn't. The point is, it's wrong to assume someone from a certain place is not worthy of writing a review because that place is not somewhere like New York or Los Angeles or what have you. Totally presumptious of you. Have you checked out the musical scene in Portugual? Have you spoken with the locals? I haven't, but I haven't assumed a judgement. All I've said is that I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal is muscially savvy, as most places like that usually are. By the way, you didn't even respond to my post, and instead resort to sarcastic smileys and silly one liners that don't even have any barring. Why do you do this? Honest question.

I won't even bother responding to your other post because its worthless. This one is pretty close.

What I said was a joke. I think I more than have the right to say it, especially because I know more about the country of Portugal than you do, I was born there Mr. "Michael Griffiths".

And by the way Mr. "Michael Griffiths" I know the music scene, its not any where close to NYC,London, or LA, so the comment kind of hit home for me. If it offended you Mr "Michael- I sound so astute and well spoken-Griffiths" tough shit, live with it.

Did you like that one liner?

This whole thread makes me laugh, we are all in a U2 forum, supposedly coming together to enjoy their music and eachothers experiences about them, and we are bitching about this shit? Get a life Mr "Michael Griffiths" *said with snooty english accent* Honest answer.

p.s. I'll let you get the last word because:

#1. You seem like that kind of guy

#2. I'm done wasting time with this....no hard feelings on this side of the pond, but I can't speak about you.

Brunocam said:
PowerSurge, tu viveste em portugal na mesma cidade onde eu vivo e tens a coragem de fazer um comentario daqueles.
Tu mais do que ninguém devias ter respeito por Portugal. Tenho pena que os americanos tenham de aturar pessoas como tu, que nem de perto, nos representam a nós portugueses.

dude, its a joke, live with it. Glad to read your from Porto. Sucks they lost against Greece, now that was really bad. This is nothing.

You have the classic case of Pride. You know, the deadly sin. You instantly hear something with your country in it and automatically take offense. Don't be so thick skinned, I know we come from proud people, but to not be able to take a relatively harmless joke is sad. By the way, if I wasn't so easy going then I would get pretty pissed at your last line, but you know man, unlike you....I can deal with it.

A te logo!

I have also noticed on this forum that there is certainly a blind faith devotion thingy going on. I mean I read somwhere on here, after hearing a crappy sounding version of COBL, that it was the best thing he/she had ever heard and it's the best song U2 have ever done blah blah blah. How anyone can judge a song to be the best thing they ever heard after a few listens is beyond me. Not even I said that after I heard The Fly or One after I heard them in the first year of release but now I can say that they are 2 of the best songs they have ever done, 13 years after first hearing them. So come on Blind Faith U2 devotees, I used to think I was over the top about U2, but after reading on here I must say at least I have a bit more rational view of U2's new music.

Tyagu_Anaykus said:

you still think they're lying?

not anymore, I just read the first two pages of this thread and then post my reponse which came out on page 15 or whatever, so I didnt get the rest of the information. The review wasnt even bad, so sorry for entering the post earlier. :wink:

I'm not a "blind u2 follower" like people have talked about. I hated "Hands that Built America", dont really like the new "Vertigo" video too much cause its too repetitive, but I've heard 6 whole songs/clips/leaks from the new album, and I love EVERY one of them!! So I'm really looking forward to this album, I'm not comparing it to earlier works, I just think it will be a brilliant album. The people that knock the people on this forum for praising the album so quickly shouldn't burn it so swiftly.

As for u2_Guy, everyone's opinion here is listened to, but in this one thread he made himself look so bad. GOD, he talks about people being ignorant and blind about u2 matters, and then he calls ALL americans idiots. Uhh...makes you look grown-up and smart. I'm Dutch, a Dutch Citizen, and even though Ive been in the States for more than half of my life, I'll always consider myself European. But it is so ignorant to group all Americans in the same insult because of an Adminstration's actions. I live in the Washington DC area and basically everyone I know is against the war in Iraq. Yes, there are definetly ignorant Americans. Boy, do I know that. But that's a bad stereotype for overall good people. I mean, remember Bush didn't even win the electoral vote last election, so most of the people even in 2000 didnt want him. :huh:

But ya, u2_guy, you should post again with your "glass is half empty" ass :wink:

Last edited:
It´s funny. If you could read Portuguese you would see that the fan who reviewed the album added a few interesting details. He said that this was his 4th or 5th pre-audition of U2 albums and he admitted that he usually changes his mind about some songs after a few more listenings, like a song he considered weak and it became a classic, and some songs he felt it would be classics ended up not being so in fact. For instance, he mentions that he loved AB from the pre-audition, but he felt that the weakest song seemed to be One, and that summarises everything. One ended up being, well, a classic. :)

All in all, this was the first full album fan review and I liked it. It shows a much more closer point of view than one done by a music critic, at least for me.

Btw, I subscribe the Portuguese U2 mailing list. They have good relations with Universal Portugal indeed. They usually receive DVDs and CDs from Universal to be used in their giveaway contests.

MT

Last edited:
RademR said:

I'm not a "blind u2 follower" like people have talked about. I hated "Hands that Built America", dont really like the new "Vertigo" video too much cause its too repetitive, but I've heard 6 whole songs/clips/leaks from the new album, and I love EVERY one of them!! So I'm really looking forward to this album, I'm not comparing it to earlier works, I just think it will be a brilliant album. The people that knock the people on this forum for praising the album so quickly shouldn't burn it so swiftly.

:up:

I think that too. If others have a different opinion, that's fine. From what I've heard I'll really enjoy the album.

follower said:

All in all, this was the first full album fan review and I liked it. It shows a much more closer point of view than one done by a music critic, at least for me.

Btw, I subscribe the Portuguese U2 mailing list. They have good relations with Universal Portugal indeed. They usually receive DVDs and CDs from Universal to be used in their giveaway contests.

MT

exactly. If Universal Portugal wanted someone portuguese people to hear the album, I would be extremely surprised if they invited someone else.

Anyway, as I said U2 can't satisfy everyone.
Just hear the album and ENJOY THE MAGIC
:yes:

Back
Top Bottom