a hip hop album coming after all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
:hmm: Recording with Kanye, having a song with Dr Dre, playing with Mary J Blige, is it just me or are the guys getting interested in hip hop?

( :up: for new songs in the setlist!)

Don't think U2 will devote an entire album to the hip hop sound. Just don't think Edge would let it go there. A song with Kanye could go either way. If it is bad, strangely, I think it'll still be accepted by hip hop/crossover pop market. I don't think this collaberation will define U2's sound in the long-term at all. Who knows, working with Kanye might inflect some new energy into the band..

we didnt get a hip hop album after the wonderful New Day, so I'm not really expecting one now

if anything, the new album will be influenced by hip hop in a similiar manner that AB was influenced by hip hop

Headache in a Suitcase said:
is every song produced by rick rubin hip hop? beacuse after all, his claim to fame is def jam. so are the songs neil diamond and johnny cash did with rick rubin hip hop? or do we only think that way when the producer is black?
:up:

kanye producing does not equal hip hop. kanye as producer just means someone who knows how to use the studio as an instrument.

william orbit produced Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America, and they didn't end up as techno.

Nellee Hooper Produced HMTMKMKM, and it didn't end up Trip Hop

Dr. Dre coproduced one of the tracks from NIN's "The Fragile" and it was anything BUT Hip Hop.

This may be a poor example, but Fiona Apple and Dave Matthews Band have both worked with Hip Hop producers recently (i like fiona, don't care for DMB) but neither one yeilded anything close to a hip hop album.

People have range. Flood produced both The Downward Spiral and POP, two completely different albums. Daniel Lanois produced Willie Nelson and Luscious Jackson. Eno produced Bowie and Talking Heads. Lillywhite worked with Phish.

What is coming out of the more progressive Hip Hop movement (and Kanye is the leader of that pack, It i may be so bold) are people who know how to produce.

?uestlove from the Roots produced Joss Stone's last album, and she cannot be categorized as Hip Hop.

At most, I think we will hear a collaboration in terms of Kanye PRODUCING something for U2, not rapping on it, and it will not be Hip Hop. If anything, it will be more boundary-pushing, along the lines of Zooropa or Pop.

There's one big reason that the album won't be influenced by hip-hop, and that's because Bono said it will be. I mean, come on people, what single reason in the past has Bono ever given us to take his comments on a forthcoming album seriously?!?!

HTDAAB was supposed to be "the mother of all rock albums".

ATYCLB was supposed to be "straight forward rock and roll"

POP was supposed to be "influenced by techno and dance".

None of these things came true. Sure, you can pick apart one or two tracks and say they followed suit, but overall, the albums were not what Bono claimed they would be.

So when he says the album is going to be influenced by hip-hop, it's pretty safe to assume that hip-hop is the thing it will be furthest from.

Zoocoustic said:

HTDAAB was supposed to be "the mother of all rock albums".

ATYCLB was supposed to be "straight forward rock and roll"

POP was supposed to be "influenced by techno and dance".

I thought he said ATYCLB will be a pop album.
He said HTDAAB will be a guitar driven album.

Didn't he also say Pop will be a rock album?

Back
Top Bottom