$150 for 25 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And also, 4 years ago I paid for 4 propaganda issues. I recieved one. The band OWES me 5 of these songs.

:::joking:::

somewhat.

petethechopp said:
what a strange, sad thread this is for a U2 forum. Who woulda guessed back in '87 that people would one day be talking about U2 becoming green and greedy. But that's the case, isn't it? If your going to get in bed with corp. America and Itunes aren't you expecting to get scr*wed? And if you do a digital box set that excludes most of the world and rips off everyone who buys it, doesn't that say something about what your looking for? I miss the days of Three Chords and the truth. I also think its a bit ironic that duringthe DESIRE perfromance at Point Depot (one of the shows, maybe the 12-31 (not sure) Bono makes a comment about greed making the world go round, then adds "Not my world" Not so sure about thi anymore?

THANK YOU!

Why the backlash? Because U2 make it a point to constantly remind us how unselfish they are while gouging us senseless.

Sad day. Three cords and the truth... you people are a bunch of snobby obnoxious trouble makers. It's a digital box set of a bunch of songs. If you want it, you buy it. If you don't need it, and most of us here don't, then you've saved yourself 150.00 dollars. Really, if you must be a self righteous jack ass, then you must point to Larry's Harley Ad in the Eighties, as that was the sad, sad, day U2 truly sold out...
Or the U2 condoms, I doubt those could be termed as a real music product. Then again, they probably made SOMEONE sing...

LOL...get a life...

Talk about missing the point!!! I'm not going to buy it b/c I'm not blind enough to fork over $150 for a couple of throw away songs and stuff I already have. But the point I was making was, if your going to stand on the soapbox and talk he talk, then put your money where your heart is. Asking for a reply on this, Why do you think they released it on itunes instead of on disc so that everyone could buy it. What about the households w/o computers that make up most of the world. What about anybody running a version of Windows prior to W2000? I'm not saying U2 shouldn't make money. I'm saying that to get a bunch of free tv adds in exchange for a deal that makes Apple and the band a load of cash by ripping off the hardcore fans and excluding most of the real fans is opposite of the sort of attitude the band wants to portray.

Here's my take on the issue of the reasoning behind the Box set and its price, why they've done it, etc.

Given that the band has been around for a good quarter century, still at the height of their careers, as they've showed more pride in their latest work by the intense promotions lately, they deserve to release the collection of work as they have. If you take a look at other artists who have re-released their body of artwork, whats the difference in the track selections? U2, Tom Petty, Nirvana, etc. all dip in to their old stuff- that's what a Box Set is and IT NEEDS TO COST MONEY. Why fight the idea that someone be paid for their work, simply because they already have alot of money?

U2 have said that 'Atomic Bomb' is their first album. There are many reasons for this, but they are approcahing this financially as their first album too, as they are the Box Set- they need to be paid for this work just as they needed to be paid for 'Boy'.

U2 sets an example for the entire recording industry's community for the fair treatment of artists who MUST be paid for the work they've made and that's a huge reason why they've made this partnership with Apple. U2 wants their music readily available, as any musician would, and they want to be given credit for it, as any musician would. When U2 is paid for their work, what do you see them do? - Get right back in studio and make music that speaks to US, THE LISTENERS and that's their way of thanking us for the hard work that translates into the money we give them. What we give them comes back to us in their talents and IDEAS that go beyond the realm of a dollar bill.

There are so many artists that don't appreciate their fanbase, but U2 does. They always go for the innovation to keep us interested, while other artists's live off of tired old ideas. In order for U2 to keep up with the times, they need to be compensated and have the motivation and backing of business to succeed and remain relevant.

I personally came to terms with buying the ipod and soon purchase of the Digital Box Set because I want to support where the band wants to go with the future of the music industry. They aren't money mongers that eat up everything they see. They are setting a precendent that hasn't been set yet, in affect, being guinea pigs and voices for artists that might be fairly compensated for their work.

Think of it this way. U2 has to believe that their fans have enough money to purchase their work. OK. So, lets show the rest of the world that people are WILLING TO PAY FOR THEIR MUSIC!!! WOW what a concept, pay for your music. If they attack the problem of illegal downloading NOW by making music easily available for download for cheap ($150 for 476 songs is dirt cheap), then maybe sometime in the future the dollar amount will catch up with what artists lose by unauthorized free downloads. If the problem is gotten to now, and musicians are paid, the benefits is to the fan because the money that is lost on free downloads and high ticket prices.

If you were an artist/ musician, how would you feel if your work was traded without your permission and you weren't compensated for it? If this is you, then you have to make up your losses some other way, right? So, a musician and his people have to boost ticket costs, cd costs, merchandise costs. If the stealing is stopped, the prices might fall, and to me, this whole experiment U2 and Apple is taking on might bring the benefits of fair costs and fair payment back to music, instead of greedy listeners stealing music and music labels making up for their losses with unbareably hig prices.

Sorry for the length of this but it had to be said.

mofo82

Last edited:
tkramer said:
Sad day. Three cords and the truth... you people are a bunch of snobby obnoxious trouble makers. It's a digital box set of a bunch of songs. If you want it, you buy it. If you don't need it, and most of us here don't, then you've saved yourself 150.00 dollars. Really, if you must be a self righteous jack ass, then you must point to Larry's Harley Ad in the Eighties, as that was the sad, sad, day U2 truly sold out...
Or the U2 condoms, I doubt those could be termed as a real music product. Then again, they probably made SOMEONE sing...

LOL...get a life...

See, the only problem with that is that I love this music and this band and I am drooling over the unreleased songs they have released. I would pay for the songs if they were released apart from the rest. But why should I have to repurchase everything else for an ungodly amount just for those songs? Especially from a band that always gushes about the fans, saying gooshy things from the stage about "thank you for giving us a wonderful life" and all that. Thanks Bono. You can return the favor by releasing these songs for a reasonable price for the real fans who actually have to work for a living and can't afford to buy all of your albums twice.

iota said:

Why the backlash? Because U2 make it a point to constantly remind us how unselfish they are while gouging us senseless.

It's not senseless. It is an attempt to bring fairness to an industry full of corruption and $ problems. It's an attempt that costs money now, but someday may benefit the listener with lower prices, if people are paid for their work.

I'm a hardcore fan, I just bought the complete box set, I don't feel ripped off, I'm enjoying HTDAAB and 40 unreleased songs. I'm not an idiot and I certainly don't think U2 or itunes are in the same classification as walmart. I went to itunes right after I heard that U2 would be releasing thier album there. I love it and I'm glad that U2 led me thier, because I have found a lot of great reasons for downloading there.

Look I am new here but all I am hearing and in truth I am a little bit too is some of us fans feelings are hurt. U2 would not be U2 without us, it is the fans acceptance of U2 and their music that created this musical/ business giant. I wish i could ask Bono why just for the sake of the fans that help you pay your bills or could honestly not afford a 150 dollar shot that you couldnt let us buy these songs individually. The only protest we can have is not to buy the set and I suggest if you feel that strongly that U2 did this the wrong way that you do just that because I think that is what U2 would do if it were them. send them a message that you dont agree E-mail U2.com or whatever and Ask maybe they will answer back.

C.J

mofo82 said:

It's not senseless. It is an attempt to bring fairness to an industry full of corruption and $ problems. It's an attempt that costs money now, but someday may benefit the listener with lower prices, if people are paid for their work.

First of all, I appreciate the civil tone of your post and how well-thought out it was. And you made some very good level-headed points.

My ONLY disagreement is that if they released the extra songs seprately, then I wouldn't question their motives. Then I would join in on scolding people for trading mp3s of these rare songs, because normal people could afford to buy them.

But come on, FORCING people to repurchase the majority of music they already have JUST for those songs? Real fans want to hear those songs. Why should fans that have stood with this band for 20-odd years be treated like this?

It's basic reasoning when you think of it.

You make something, it costs $

People don't but something, you lose $

PEople own your work but didn't pay for it, you lose $

you need to make up for your losses, $ goes up

bring fair standards and compensation to artist/ prducers- $ balances out

if the balance catches up, in time $ comes down for buyer and $ does not need to be made up by gauging.

I'm not saying U2 shouldn't release a box set, not saying they shouldn't choose to include or exclude any songs they want, not saying they shouldn't be allowed to charge what they want and let the market set the demand/price. What I'm saying, is that by doing it exclusively through itunes and not making it available anywhere else, in any other format, excluding most of the world from access, is not a good idea. And the only reason to have done it this way is for a whole lot of up front money so that Apple would have exclusive rights to these songs (also the reason why several of them can only be purchased within the whole set). I mean, aren't we allowed to expect more from U2. Don't they ask us to expect more? Isn't that why they've resisted corp. sponsership on tours, isn't that why they used to not sell the front five rows of a concert and pass those tickets out to the early birds in the nosebleed seats. U2 makes great music, but they also send a positive message through that music. I don;t like them any less for their recent hypocrisy, but I do think its sad

mellyinsf said:
I'm a hardcore fan, I just bought the complete box set, I don't feel ripped off, I'm enjoying HTDAAB and 40 unreleased songs. I'm not an idiot and I certainly don't think U2 or itunes are in the same classification as walmart. I went to itunes right after I heard that U2 would be releasing thier album there. I love it and I'm glad that U2 led me thier, because I have found a lot of great reasons for downloading there.

Good for you that you could afford the $150 for the 40 songs. But be honest. If U2 had offered them separately, would you still have bought all the other songs you already had?

iota said:

See, the only problem with that is that I love this music and this band and I am drooling over the unreleased songs they have released. I would pay for the songs if they were released apart from the rest. But why should I have to repurchase everything else for an ungodly amount just for those songs? Especially from a band that always gushes about the fans, saying gooshy things from the stage about "thank you for giving us a wonderful life" and all that. Thanks Bono. You can return the favor by releasing these songs for a reasonable price for the real fans who actually have to work for a living and can't afford to buy all of your albums twice.

I understand that you want the songs seperate, but how does the songs not all being instantaneously available seperately make U2 evil? How do they know that you own everything on that box set except for five songs? Or eight? Or whatever? What's wrong with a box set? Artists have done box sets for decades without making every single little song available seperately. For all we know, the band couldn't convince the label to release them seperately. They have a lot of control over their music, but even Bono answers to Paul M. and the Label on some issues...

mofo82 said:
It's basic reasoning when you think of it.

You make something, it costs $

People don't but something, you lose $

PEople own your work but didn't pay for it, you lose $

you need to make up for your losses, $ goes up

bring fair standards and compensation to artist/ prducers- $ balances out

if the balance catches up, in time $ comes down for buyer and $ does not need to be made up by gauging.

The thing is though...U2 doesn't have a problem selling CDs.
So why market something that, in effect, is about duping loyal fans into buying the same product twice?

I like the idea of a box set, I'm not going to buy any U2 albums in anticipation of it coming out on Itunes in australia. I just cant stand self-righteous moral monopolists like jmelrose accusing me of being a thief and casting aspersion on me as arrogant because I pointed out that its limited channels of availability. I WANT TO FREAKIN FORK OUT THE CASH.

iota said:

But come on, FORCING people to repurchase the majority of music they already have JUST for those songs? Real fans want to hear those songs. Why should fans that have stood with this band for 20-odd years be treated like this?

Keep in mind, as a box set, it has to remain a box set. The positives that this Complete Digital Box Set gives GREATLY outweigh the negatives. They've afforded people, FOR THE FIRST TIME, to break up a box set and buy the tracks the way YOU WANT TO- unheard of. No other box set by any artist has the material they've packaged, at that price, with the safeguards it offers to the artist.

petethechopp said:
I'm not saying U2 shouldn't release a box set, not saying they shouldn't choose to include or exclude any songs they want, not saying they shouldn't be allowed to charge what they want and let the market set the demand/price. What I'm saying, is that by doing it exclusively through itunes and not making it available anywhere else, in any other format, excluding most of the world from access, is not a good idea. And the only reason to have done it this way is for a whole lot of up front money so that Apple would have exclusive rights to these songs (also the reason why several of them can only be purchased within the whole set). I mean, aren't we allowed to expect more from U2. Don't they ask us to expect more? Isn't that why they've resisted corp. sponsership on tours, isn't that why they used to not sell the front five rows of a concert and pass those tickets out to the early birds in the nosebleed seats. U2 makes great music, but they also send a positive message through that music. I don;t like them any less for their recent hypocrisy, but I do think its sad
who cares if it's itunes or your local cd store, someone is going to make money. Just go to itunes, check it out, it's actually a really good place to buy music. U2 said they did it through itunes because they felt it represented thier listening population.

tkramer said:

I understand that you want the songs seperate, but how does the songs not all being instantaneously available seperately make U2 evil? How do they know that you own everything on that box set except for five songs? Or eight? Or whatever? What's wrong with a box set? Artists have done box sets for decades without making every single little song available seperately. For all we know, the band couldn't convince the label to release them seperately. They have a lot of control over their music, but even Bono answers to Paul M. and the Label on some issues...

Yes, other bands have done this.

But U2 is the preachiest band on the planet.

Therein lies the difference.

iota said:

The thing is though...U2 doesn't have a problem selling CDs.
So why market something that, in effect, is about duping loyal fans into buying the same product twice?

Because technology of music will change again, and again, and again. Music has been reduced to computer files. The more convenient music is for the listener- in quality and size- that's where the customer will follow. U2 is the the first to see this on such a grand scale, and the first ones to take a risk like that are the ones that have the most to lose, i.e. U2. They have the most to lose. What they do now, and possibly lose now, may help the next upstart band gain, because those no-name kids are getting rightfully paid for the years they spent in a garage.

iota said:

Good for you that you could afford the $150 for the 40 songs. But be honest. If U2 had offered them separately, would you still have bought all the other songs you already had?

Yeah I work my ass off everyday of the week at a fast food restaurant. I didn't think twice whether to add $99 (I aslo bought the ipod) to my card. I get all 400 songs or 5 drinks at a bar in LA. No I would not have bought all those songs again, however that is not how box sets are sold. What about U2 best of CD's isn't this like the same.

I don't think I'll buy it, but not b/c of the reasons I mentioned. I just think, for me, not for anyone else, that its a bit of a waste. $150 for a few things I don't have and a bunch of stuff i do (though I might drop a hint to my g-friend that it would be a fine Xmans present.
Having said that, I'll say again that I'm disappointed that a whole lot of people won't be able to hear these songs b/c the band jumped at the Apple promo spots and money rather than thinking of their fans. And that's the only reason for doing it this way rather than putting out a box set that you could go down to the corner store and buy. By the by, I also cringed at the Best Buy live cd and the Target "7" cd, but I ended up buying these. So I guess the hypocrisy thing is catchy

There has to be a perk to buying the set, or else its not a set. They need to follow the model that other musicians have set in the past by releasing a (digital) box set, but the option is there. To make a profit, those tracks are protected from individual purchase. Does anyone realize how much U2/ Apple has discounted the entire catalog of U2 music????????????????

Any other band in the world would go bankrupt by doing this. I hope many people see this risk, and then realize that they jeopardize the future sales of their own cd's because they've taken such a large cut to promote the future of a more fair music industry.

iota said:

Yes, other bands have done this.

But U2 is the preachiest band on the planet.

Therein lies the difference.

You're saying that because U2 are preachy that it somehow means that they have to sell their songs exactly the way you want them to? Ok, I'm going downstairs to play Halo 2...this subject is tired...

Good night everyone! Have a safe week!!!

mellyinsf said:

Yeah I work my ass off everyday of the week at a fast food restaurant. I didn't think twice whether to add $99 (I aslo bought the ipod) to my card. I get all 400 songs or 5 drinks at a bar in LA. No I would not have bought all those songs again, however that is not how box sets are sold. What about U2 best of CD's isn't this like the same.

Damn right you work your ass off. I work my ass off. That's why I resent this.

But a hard copy box set and internet files are two different things entirely. Honestly, how much would it cost them to simply make the rare songs available separately to help out a hard working fan like you and allow you to buy the music AND three drinks in an LA bar?

I think what people are saying is, If your going to do a box set, make it available to everyone, not just everyone who goes to itunes. Have you seen the itunes homepage. It has more u2 promos on it than apple promos. Have you turned on the tv for five minutes during the past month and not heard Bono belting out the new itune jingle (also known as vertigo) I mean, when did U2 and Apple merge. Did I miss this?

iota said:

Damn right you work your ass off. I work my ass off. That's why I resent this.

But a hard copy box set and internet files are two different things entirely. Honestly, how much would it cost them to simply make the rare songs available separately to help out a hard working fan like you and allow you to buy the music AND three drinks in an LA bar?

I don't disagree with you, nor do I know how much it would cost them to release it seperately. I just really don't feel U2 has done anything really wrong. To be honest I love the box set, however now I have like 5 versions of Stay. Nobody really needs it, but I'm happy to own it.

petethechopp said:
I don't think I'll buy it, but not b/c of the reasons I mentioned. I just think, for me, not for anyone else, that its a bit of a waste. $150 for a few things I don't have and a bunch of stuff i do (though I might drop a hint to my g-friend that it would be a fine Xmans present.

I respect that...it does seem a bit wasteful if you already own that many songs.

Having said that, I'll say again that I'm disappointed that a whole lot of people won't be able to hear these songs b/c the band jumped at the Apple promo spots and money rather than thinking of their fans.

They are thinking of their fans, and the music industry, but in the long run. This is a huge attempt to level out the playing filed for all musicians. They are promoting an item thats growing in popularity and eventually be cheaper for people. The music will be cheaper too as more people buy it. BUT IT TAKES TIME. It's a really affordable cost for the music when compared to the cost of all that music if on cd. If U2 wasn't thinking of their fans, then they'd start writing songs about how much money they make and they'd put out a new album every year because it wouldn't be about the art of remaining relevant and touching people's souls with heartfelt lyrics.

Not to move this thread in a different direction, but whoever does have the box seat, what does Beautiful Ghost sound like (no I'm not going to be begging for a link later) Just curious to know what people think b/c i love the JT era

Alright. Well, thanks for humoring me. Maybe I took a few potshots at the band in frustration. I do love U2. I've followed them since I was a kid. Wish I could afford to hear the new stuff though.

'Night.

Back
Top Bottom