Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
been giving Rubber Soul a few spins.

and i hate to say it, but i think that will be my last Beatles album.

Revolver is dusgustingly overrated in my opinion (though still quite good!) but Rubber Soul wouldn't be far behind. outside of Drive My Car, In My Life, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man and If I Needed Someone i just haven't found anything that really grabs me, the rest are just a bunch of pop songs ranging from average to good.

i love Sgt Peppers, White Album & Abbey Road, but earlier Beatles, in the words of Shania Twain, don't impress me much.

don't think anyone can top that for unpopular.

There's not a whole lot of depth to Rubber Soul, that's for sure, outside of a few choice compositions that really show how sophisticated they were BECOMING. But overall, yes, they're just simple tunes. It's a pleasurable listen, but not necessarily moreso than Beatles For Sale, in my opinion, and certainly not Help.

Revolver, of course, is where the genius dominates the album enough to call it a true landmark recording.

I'm a big fan of Linkin Park, Paramore, and Evanescence.

I don't like anything I've heard by AC/DC, Weezer, Neil Young, or The Pixies.

How's that for unpopular? :wink:

I'm down with Paramore. Hayley Williams is adorable. And she's so god damn perky and genuinely enthusiastic about what she's doing that it's hard not to admire her a little bit. At least for me. I'm only familiar with their radio hits, though.

Revolver, of course, is where the genius dominates the album enough to call it a true landmark recording.

i still think it's overrated - that's mostly due to it being so high on numerous "best albums evar" lists, but the first time i heard Tomorrow Never Knows ... i just couldn't believe it.

I'm down with Paramore. Hayley Williams is adorable. And she's so god damn perky and genuinely enthusiastic about what she's doing that it's hard not to admire her a little bit. At least for me. I'm only familiar with their radio hits, though.

The New album, Brand New Eyes is definitley worth checking out :up:

except for Tindersticks and Aphex Twin not a lot of interesting music has come out of Britain

If you were talking about the last 5-10 years, I wouldn't disagree. But since you're speaking more generally...lol.

been giving Rubber Soul a few spins.

and i hate to say it, but i think that will be my last Beatles album.

Revolver is dusgustingly overrated in my opinion (though still quite good!) but Rubber Soul wouldn't be far behind. outside of Drive My Car, In My Life, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man and If I Needed Someone i just haven't found anything that really grabs me, the rest are just a bunch of pop songs ranging from average to good.

i love Sgt Peppers, White Album & Abbey Road, but earlier Beatles, in the words of Shania Twain, don't impress me much.

don't think anyone can top that for unpopular.

the unpopular opinion, i've said it before and i'll say it again, is that i really like the earlier stuff more than the sgt pepper white album abbey road stuff. most of the people i know who call themselves beatles fans, or just casual beatles fans prefer the later stuff and write the early stuff off as mediocre at best pop music. that's not an unpopular opinion.

however, you can argue that disliking the 'middle era' stuff is unpopular opinion...oasis and bunch of other bands have built their entire careers off trying to sound like that stuff, people liked it, i guess that makes it popular.

i could have respected your opinion. honestly, even thought middle beatles is some of my favorite stuff and i love both the albums you're hating on here. but then you had to go and reference shania twain. sorry, that made all your credibility go out the window. however, i hear she's sold a shit ton of albums and that people actually like her music. makes my ears bleed. so maybe mine is the unpopular opinion on that one.

I'm a big fan of Linkin Park, Paramore, and Evanescence.

I don't like anything I've heard by AC/DC, Weezer, Neil Young, or The Pixies.

How's that for unpopular? :wink:

don't know about unpopular. ignorant, perhaps. but not necessarily unpopular.

Linkin Park's frontman at least was responsible for a fairly strong remix of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence."

Here Comes the Sun is my #1 Beatles song.

i could have respected your opinion. honestly, even thought middle beatles is some of my favorite stuff and i love both the albums you're hating on here. but then you had to go and reference shania twain. sorry, that made all your credibility go out the window. however, i hear she's sold a shit ton of albums and that people actually like her music. makes my ears bleed. so maybe mine is the unpopular opinion on that one.
i live at home, when i don't have my own music on all i hear is Jimmy Barnes when Dad's in charge and Shania Twain when Mum is :wink:
Linkin Park is painfully awful.

i was a HUGE fan circa Hybrid Theory & Meteroa. god-awful since.

I only listened to one Rolling Stones album to date, Exile On Main Street and it did nothing with me. I found it pretty boring actually.

Here Comes the Sun is my #1 Beatles song.

That's a beautiful song :).

Also, I'd like to speak up in favor of Paramore, too. I've only heard a few songs by them, but I like what I have heard. As for Linkin Park, I'm not a fan by any stretch, never have been, but I do tend to not mind some of their more recent songs.

*Goes off to think of more possible things to add*

Angela

Stairway to Heaven might be my least favourite track from IV. not that it's a bad song, just that i've heard it that many goddam times that it's completely lost all resonance.

I only listened to one Rolling Stones album to date, Exile On Main Street and it did nothing with me. I found it pretty boring actually.

stick with it. it did absolutely nothing for me either the first time, and now i own the remastered vinyl.

Stairway to Heaven

at various points in my life, the mere mention of that song has spawned such utter hatred for zeppelin that it's not even funny. the sheer overplayed-ness of stairway, whole lotta love, and rock and roll forced me into some pretty hardcore zeppelin hatred for the last 12 years. seriously, i just changed my mind last night that maybe they're not the most overrated band in the history of music. i listened to some songs i hadn't heard it a while (read: i haven't heard since i actually liked zeppelin, which was when i was 14), and i think as long as i can stay away from the evil trifecta that is those three songs i mentioned, i could enjoy the band again. actually, to the point where i really want to go CD shopping today and pick up all the missing back catalogue holes.

i used to like it, and i probably still would if i hadn't heard it so many goddamn times.

What's the Led Zeppelin song that goes:
wher wher wherwherwher bupbup bupbup bupbup bupbup bupbupwher wher wherwherwher etc?
I hate led zeppelin, but I like that song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom