Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nirvana came at the right time, wrote a couple of endearing songs, and that's all there is to it. Grunge lasted all of what? 2-3 years? Then it came crashing down. What did it give rise to? Pop-punk and Nu Metal? Yikes.

I'm glad that it signaled a change from the late '80s sound that was dominated by hair metal, bad synthpop (most of the good stuff came from the early part of the decade anyway), but yeah, the lasting effects are pretty shitty.

My favorite Nirvana track is "Come as You Are," but it sounds like like a Sonic Youth or Pixies track than anything else.

Had Nirvana released All Apologies as a one-off debut single (In Bloom as the b-side) and promptly fucked off, my world wouldn't have been any worse off for it.

I'm listening to In Utero right now, and I must recant. I've never made my loathing for Nevermind a secret in the past, and I think that record is sounding worse and worse to me with each passing year. The production gets more dated, the lyrics sound bitchier, and the hooks have less impact.

In contrast, In Utero has never sounded better to me than it does right now. While I would never, ever go out of my way to say that the lyrics are sunnier or somehow less misanthropic, there's something tongue in cheek about the way they're presented here that makes them far more tolerable and, dare I say it, fun. I liken In Utero to Achtung Baby in that it takes great glee in dismantling the mythological, inflated images they had built for themselves on the records prior. Beyond all that, the riffs (though admittedly derivative in the case of, say, Rape Me) are more memorable, the lyrics key into the very qualities that set Cobain apart from his contemporaries, and the production is damn fine. Steve Albini kept his hands off and let the band just have a ball rocking the fuck out, and the results are wonderful. Obviously, there were tweaks later on, but the raw quality of the recording is still there. I honestly believe it has some of the strongest production I've ever heard, if not the flashiest.

Inevitably, had the band only released In Utero, they would have fallen into obscurity, but I would be able to look back on their music a lot more fondly. I know it seems as if I only hate Nevermind because of the exposure it received, but that doesn't explain my adoration for Abbey Road, The Joshua Tree, Automatic For The People, Court And Spark, Weezer (1994), and so on...all huge commercial successes. I just genuinely believe it's a shitty album.

Inevitably, had the band only released In Utero, they would have fallen into obscurity, but I would be able to look back on their music a lot more fondly. I know it seems as if I only hate Nevermind because of the exposure it received, but that doesn't explain my adoration for Abbey Road, The Joshua Tree, Automatic For The People, Court And Spark, Weezer (1994), and so on...all huge commercial successes. I just genuinely believe it's a shitty album.

I don't think Nevermind is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the combination of the way the general public feels about it with the critical appreciation adds up to a consensus that says you're wrong, plain and simple. The idea that In Utero is better is certainly one that has merit, though.

I don't think Nevermind is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the combination of the way the general public feels about it with the critical appreciation adds up to a consensus that says you're wrong, plain and simple.

Ha, well, throw it on the pile along with my opinions on Tommy, Slanted And Enchanted, and Piper On The Gates Of Dawn as reasons I'm glad this thread exists.

And hey, I'll add in another one: Fear Of Music > Remain In Light. I fucking love that album, it has an amazing vibe. I like both, but I'm just not as into their more danceable stuff.

Every one needs to own or at least illegally procure The Blue Album. Not a bad track in the bunch, not one less than catchy, sharpened down to a fine 41-minute point. Pinkerton is worth checking out too. A bit off-beat, certainly emo, but the songs are there. After that, fuck it.

amnesiac is still firmly my least favourite radiohead album (i've never heard pablo honey).

aside from packt like sardines, pyramid song and life in a glasshouse i find nothing else particularly good.

Every one needs to own or at least illegally procure The Blue Album. Not a bad track in the bunch, not one less than catchy, sharpened down to a fine 41-minute point. Pinkerton is worth checking out too. A bit off-beat, certainly emo, but the songs are there. After that, fuck it.

Now this I can get behind. The Green Album was a vacant attempt to recapture past glory, and while the songs aren't necessarily crap, it's disposable and provides nothing that The Blue Album doesn't already do better.

Every one needs to own or at least illegally procure The Blue Album. Not a bad track in the bunch, not one less than catchy, sharpened down to a fine 41-minute point.

Yeah, I had this album once. I guess I just don't really care for that kind of la-dee-dah power pop anymore. It's catchy and all but there's just something awfully generic about it.

My favorite Nirvana track is "Come as You Are," but it sounds like like a Sonic Youth or Pixies track than anything else.

I guess anything from that period that's alternative and has a loud guitar sounds more like a Sonic Youth or Pixies track than anything else, then?

On that note, I think the best Nirvana songs are probably Aneurysm and On A Plain.

I guess anything from that period that's alternative and has a loud guitar sounds more like a Sonic Youth or Pixies track than anything else, then?

On that note, I think the best Nirvana songs are probably Aneurysm and On A Plain.

I guess. I'm not all familiar with that period besides those two bands, so that's most of what I hear when I listen to that particular track.

Of Neil Young's clutch of classic early albums (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, Harvest, Tonight's The Night, On The Beach, Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps), Harvest is undoubtedly the weakest. Gave it a listen for the first time in about a year, and it just sounds worse.

I've got to say, it's hardly a surprise that it caught on the way it did, as the amount of affecting yet catchy music here is staggering. A Man Needs A Maid, Heart Of Gold, Old Man, and, best of all, The Needle And The Damage Done are here, all of which kill your soul while simultaneously sticking in your head. Neil was always great at that, but he really nailed it here. A couple other tracks are really great too, like Out On The Weekend and Harvest.

The problem is, much as I appreciate it when an artist tries to expand his sound, tracks like There's A World are simply misguided. The ostentatious string arrangements on Maid aren't as harmful, but they still sound forced to me there. Elsewhere, Are You Ready For The Country is just a poor song, while Alabama and Words provide the classic Neil Young sound without classic Neil Young songwriting, and both wind up feeling bloated and unmemorable, if pleasant. Don't even get me started on the sequencing. Overall, very good record, but it's kind of a shame it's proven to be his most popular.

I'd rank the above albums as follows, FTR:

1. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (A+)
2. Rust Never Sleeps (A+)
3. After The Gold Rush (A+/A)
4. On The Beach (A/A-)
5. Tonight's The Night (A-)
6. Zuma (B+)
7. Harvest (B+/B)

i don't really like guns n roses all that much :reject:

i end up detesting a lot of the music my brother plays constantly. maybe it had more to do with the fact that he played Appetite for Destruction over and over while i was hungover, but i'm not a big fan.

i used to like ACDC too until he put Rock n Roll Train on repeat. i still wouldn't mind going to the concert though.

he defends them by saying "all their songs don't sound the same. it's just got the same chords"

I've listened to Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix since it's been popping up on many best of lists lately and can't see what the fuss is about :shrug: Sounds just like yet another bloodless dancey synthy band with a boring non-descript singer.

The previous album is better.

Actually, it can be argued the last three albums are better.

It's not anything particularly original, it's just about as perfect as pop-rock gets.

AND THEY'RE FRENCH!

I dont think RATM will get to number one, unfort, but I am TOTALLY with them that X-Factor ruins the christmas number 1 surprise.......in the end half the winners that have the fuking number one disappear soon after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUH FUKING DUH!!! :rolleyes:

I dont think RATM will get to number one, unfort, but I am TOTALLY with them that X-Factor ruins the christmas number 1 surprise.......in the end half the winners that have the fuking number one disappear soon after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUH FUKING DUH!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but the X-Factor has something going for it that makes all of that worthwhile.

The previous album is better.

Actually, it can be argued the last three albums are better.

I've seen Phoenix live a couple of years ago and their older stuff sounded pretty damn boring as well. Mind you, it didn't help having a couple of teenage girls behind me squealing along to every single song.

I could never really give Neil Young's music a chance because I simply can't stand his singing. Same as Bob Dylan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom