The "Where do I start?" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely a grower - I had listened to some Velvets and Reed when I was a kid, so I knew what to expect when I started listening to them more often when I was about 14. I can imagine it'd be difficult if you're just expecting some classic rock though - but that would be boring!

It might take a long time for you to respect VU if it's "not what you were expecting". I hope later you'll appreciate the album's huge influence and it's awesome cerebral mindfucking abilities that arguably have never been surpassed.

Gold luck, COBL!

LemonMelon said:
Cocteau Twins, guys. Somebody help me out here.

I personally would recommend Treasure over Heaven and Las Vegas as a first album.

As U2DMFan alluded to, both of these albums are different enough from each other that it ends up coming down to personal preference.

COBL_04 said:
Just got given Velvet Underground and Nico... four tracks in... and it's a million miles from what I expected. :huh:

It's a grower, but VU & Nico is my least favorite VU album to be honest (Heroin, I'm Waiting For The Man, and Sunday Morning notwithstanding). The self-titled and Loaded are both much more fun, and I get a sick joy out of cranking up White Light/White Heat from time to time.

It took me a while to get into Velvet & Nico, but I really love it now.

I'll be your mirror, L-Mel.

Venus in Furs and All Tomorrow's Parties are my favorites on the first album. But I think Loaded is probably the "easiest" VU record to start with. It's pretty straight-forward and chock full o' accessible songs.

Accessible GOOD songs, lest anyone think "accessible" means "candy-ass." :wink:

COBL_04 said:

No that's the thing, I don't know any of his work, apart from the song he sung with Burt Bacharach in the Austin Powers movie, which I liked.

"Painted from Memory" is the album Elvis did with Burt Bacharach and it's excellent. "North" is in a similar tone and completely beautiful, I highly recommend it.

Elvis has so many styles that a compilation would be a good idea. I have this one and have been buying up his reissues as they're released.

Where else should I go with The Decemberists? I only have The Crane Wife. I really love The Island...indie prog! Do they have anything else along those lines?

GibsonGirl said:
Where else should I go with The Decemberists? I only have The Crane Wife. I really love The Island...indie prog! Do they have anything else along those lines?

I'm curious about this as well.

...Sorry to get your hopes up there, GG. :wink: I have a similar taste for the Crane Wife. Good record, that.

corianderstem said:
Venus in Furs and All Tomorrow's Parties are my favorites on the first album. But I think Loaded is probably the "easiest" VU record to start with. It's pretty straight-forward and chock full o' accessible songs.

Accessible GOOD songs, lest anyone think "accessible" means "candy-ass." :wink:

Rock & Roll and Sweet Jane are 2 of my fave Velvet tracks, definitely the most accessible of their albums.

LemonMelon said:

I'm curious about this as well.

...Sorry to get your hopes up there, GG. :wink: I have a similar taste for the Crane Wife. Good record, that.

:madwife:

But yeah, I really love that album. Shankill Butchers. :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Rock & Roll and Sweet Jane are 2 of my fave Velvet tracks, definitely the most accessible of their albums.

Ayup. Someone told me once it was called "Loaded" because one of the band members had said "It's loaded with hits," but I don't know if it's true or not.

Rock and Roll is one of my all-time favorite songs. (At least for the moment. :wink: )

In regards to The Decemberists for GG and LM:

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of their other albums (to some extent, I think they're all better than Crane Wife...and I love Crane Wife as well). I've gone through phases where I've thought each of their other albums was my favorite of theirs. I'd probably say try out 'Her Majesty' or 'Picaresque' if you like a mix of fun with pretty. 'Castaways and Cutouts' is probably their most serious album, but it is extremely solid for a debut (some argue it's still their best). They're seriously all good, including the 5 Songs EP.

If you dug their crazy long, almost proggy, tracks, look into The Tain EP (an 18 and 1/2 minute single track).

Last edited:
I remember it being solid throughout. :yes:

I think I may even go searching for my copy tomorrow... good times.

Check out Without You I'm Nothing next, then Sleeping With Ghosts. I think that covers their best stuff more or less.

I can't recall much of Black Market Music. Give it a shot, I think the reactions were mixed though.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
In regards to The Decemberists for GG and LM:

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of their other albums (to some extent, I think they're all better than Crane Wife...and I love Crane Wife as well). I've gone through phases where I've thought each of their other albums was my favorite of theirs. I'd probably say try out 'Her Majesty' or 'Picaresque' if you like a mix of fun with pretty. 'Castaways and Cutouts' is probably their most serious album, but it is extremely solid for a debut (some argue it's still their best). They're seriously all good, including the 5 Songs EP.

If you dug their crazy long, almost proggy, tracks, look into The Tain EP (an 18 and 1/2 minute single track).

Thanks. :up: I'll have a look next time I go out to browse the CD shops.

This is a bit random, but Daniel, if you haven't yet, check out Paul McCartney's Ram album. It's among the very best Beatles solo albums, certainly my favorite from Paul. It was recorded during that glorious period before Wings and just after the Beatles when Paul was brimming with ideas.

Back
Top Bottom