The "Somewhat Premature" 2010 AFL Thread that is likely to remain awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing is: Port Adelaide Power are not Port Adelaide Magpies. Two different teams.

It'd be crazy as. Hope it happens within a few years, as unrealistic as that sounds.

Anyway guys, let's all see your team's new guns. :)

brdshpprdsd246a.jpg

Brad Sheppard
Pick 7
Height: 186cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 23/05/91
WA
Defender/Wing

a_130609sptweedon-15h1f67.jpg

Gerrick Weedon
Pick 22
Height: 186cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 25/05/91
WA
Forward
STEVENSKoby_draft_246_meeta.jpg

Koby Stevens
Pick 23
Height: 187cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 18/06/91
Vic
Midfield

The thing is: Port Adelaide Power are not Port Adelaide Magpies. Two different teams.

This is such a complicated issue that I don't want to get into it too much, but actually, the intention is that Port Adelaide Power are the Port FC of old, and the current Port Magpies are a new franchise. As difficult as that is to understand...

This is such a complicated issue that I don't want to get into it too much, but actually, the intention is that Port Adelaide Power are the Port FC of old, and the current Port Magpies are a new franchise. As difficult as that is to understand...

correct. which is why the Port Adelaide Magpies, once the greatest team of all, are struggling financially and are no certainty to take the field next year.

they are seperate entities, Power took everything with them.

As much as the Port faithful like to tell us that they've won 30-something premierships ...

As much as the Port faithful like to tell us that they've won 30-something premierships ...

Well, when you take away the dumb mascot name and teal, they technically have, just over two different leagues.

Shame that the PAMFC are on such a way out at the moment, I mean, it's pretty hard to imagine a league without them. I'm tempted to go have a few drinks at their club just to lend some support.

Well, when you take away the dumb mascot name and teal, they technically have, just over two different leagues.

Shame that the PAMFC are on such a way out at the moment, I mean, it's pretty hard to imagine a league without them. I'm tempted to go have a few drinks at their club just to lend some support.

They'll be kept afloat, methinks.

You're right - they are. One was founded in 1870 and plays in the AFL, and the other was founded in 1997 and took the place of the former in the SANFL. :)

Yes. :shifty:

Can't the Crows just have AAMI and Port just have the Adelaide Oval. What'll be the purpose of AAMI Stadium then? A waste of a good 50,000+ stadium.

what purpose is adelaide oval serving at the moment (besides cricket?) i assume it'll just be a role reversal.

AAMI is just too good to be a simple training ground. I'd like it if Port had Adelaide Oval and Crows had AAMI. That'd be great.

Shame about the Adelaide Oval redevelopment, probably lose it's picturesque charm, but Adeliade do need to get a stadium suitable to host World Cup matches.

I don't want Oz to host the World Cup. :no: I simply don't think that soccer is really that big enough in the country for a World Cup. There are many more countries that deserve it more in my view.

Shame about the Adelaide Oval redevelopment, probably lose it's picturesque charm, but Adeliade do need to get a stadium suitable to host World Cup matches.

It'll be keeping the views of North Adelaide, it'll still be a great looking venue. Granted, the concept itself hasn't been finished, but I'm confident it'll turn out good. And I doubt it's what we'd be using for the hypothetical World Cup - I'm still quite sure a new rectangular stadium will be built in the CBD. You have no idea how big this renovation will be for Adelaide itself. More people coming to the city more often, more businesses booming, better nightlife. Public transport will be further encouraged and developed. The city council will be whetting their lips for another stadium in the city for Reds games, potential World Cup matches and rugby, particularly the Sevens.

As for AAMI, it'll be reduced to 15,000 capacity and kept for Crows training and possibly SANFL games, I think. More development around the area, can't be a bad thing. No more traffic jams on West Lakes boulevard. If people don't like this, they've had more than long enough to enjoy things as they were.

I'm sure the redevelopment will do Adelaide the world of good. This redeveloped stadium, looking at the pictures, I trust that the charm of the venue will be preserved as much as possible.

That said, I better hurry and find a reason to travel to Adelaide, if only to experience the Football Park and Adelaide Oval I've always been fascinated with through watching these stadiums on TV, before they are transformed.

One thing regarding Adelaide Oval is how strange the ground has always looked, shapewise, with it's straight boundaries and wonky shape. Hope they retain this, would make it more suitable for rectangular sporting events, and give the AFL ground dimensions something uniquely South Australian, a key home ground advantage for Port Power and Crows.

I'm still not too accepting of the idea that AAMI will be reduced to a capacity of 15,000. :(

because it's a shithole and a redeveloped adelaide oval will be much nicer?

It's not the nicest place in the world, but it could be worse. It's still bigger and better than Subi!

%7B2869FF6E-B70E-4B5D-9AF5-E94A7E360A29%7D.jpg

(It's telling that most images that show up on a Google search are proposed redesigns, though).

I don't want Oz to host the World Cup. :no: I simply don't think that soccer is really that big enough in the country for a World Cup. There are many more countries that deserve it more in my view.

i think it would be absolutely brilliant, i would love to see us get it. i'm just up in arms that everything has to be put on hold for two months.

if you don't like it, be the world game.

? :scratch:

that's only because the afl have decided to restrict themselves to only two stadiums in melbourne.

well there's three in use including the geelong ground, and the reason that occured is because the game is going through a continual process of 'expanding' so it's a bit hard for teams these days to play in dilapidated, hard-to-access, inferior capacity ovals.

well there's three in use including the geelong ground, and the reason that occured is because the game is going through a continual process of 'expanding' so it's a bit hard for teams these days to play in dilapidated, hard-to-access, inferior capacity ovals.
granted, but if you can't organise a suitable alternative with 9-13 years warning you really shouldn't be operating as a business. it's the same for the nrl clubs terrified of the break - if you can't handle a two month break with that much advance notice, you really shouldn't be in the business.

Back
Top Bottom