The Pro Wrestling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the WWE crews are stuck in England because of the flight ban being extended!

Jericho tweeted earlier in the day that he finally made it to Newark, NJ after roughly 47 hours of Hell.

I would expect tomorrow night's Raw to be light on the wrestling because the wrestlers will still be tired.

One more -- w/ Road Warrior Animal. I think my Brewers apparel pissed him off.

Animal_small.jpg

Jim Ross has a new entry on his website, this time talking about WWE's travel problems in Europe, Strikeforce and more.

"I am anxiously awaiting Monday Night Raw because it appears that the Raw crew will be unable to make it to New Jersey in time for the event if the Weather Channel is accurate in their report that air space throughout Europe is still closed. One would assume that means nothing is landing and certainly nothing is taking off until weather conditions improve. The good news is that the Smackdown crew arrived in Newark late Saturday night around 2 a.m. Eastern time so there will be plenty of available bodies to produce an entertaining, 2 hour TV show."

Yeah, it looks like the Smackdown crew will be doing Raw and the Raw crew will be on Smackdown. From the reports I've read, it sounds like everyone has had an extremely grueling trip to say the least.

Yeah, that sucks. Mickie was one of their better Womens champions.

Did they really fire Mickie because of her weight? That would be unjust because she never looked at all "fat".

They said that she was partying too hard on the European tour and held up the bus. But I don't think that would be severe enough to deserve a termination.

Does anyone know the truth?:scratch:

Did they really fire Mickie because of her weight? That would be unjust because she never looked at all "fat".

They said that she was partying too hard on the European tour and held up the bus. But I don't think that would be severe enough to deserve a termination.

Does anyone know the truth?:scratch:

I think WWE had more of a problem with her budding country music career than they did her weight. Heaven forbid someone who works for WWE promote their own projects.

WWE fan in hot water after death threats
Jeff Morganteen, Staff Writer
Published: 11:17 p.m., Monday, May 3, 2010

STAMFORD -- Zavr Peygumbari is a serious wrestling fan in some serious trouble.

Peygumbari, 22, of Brooklyn, N.Y., is accused of calling the WWE headquarters on East Main Street more than 20 times last week, making threats to blow up the company's offices and saying he would visit the building with a machete and a machine gun, because it recently released former women's champion Mickie James, court records show.

He was arrested Friday and arraigned Monday afternoon at state Superior Court in Stamford. His defense attorney, Mickey Sherman, described Peygumbari as a fervent wrestling fan who did not intend to follow through on his threats.

Peygumbari was initially held at the Stamford Police Department this weekend on $250,000 bond. This was lowered to $5,000 Monday after Sherman argued for him to be released on a written promise to appear in court. Court records indicate he was known to New York City police as being emotionally disturbed.

During his arraignment, Peygumbari apologized to the court for the phone calls, calling them childish and foolish.

"I'm sorry for wasting the time of the courts and taxpayers' money," Peygumbari said while handcuffed and wearing a yellow T-shirt.

When Judge William Wenzel told Peygumbari he could not contact WWE employees, go near its Stamford offices, or attend their events, Peygumbari's response elicited chuckles from the courtroom.

"I'm not allowed to go to wrestling shows?" he asked.

The threatening phone calls began on April 24 and continued until April 27, according to an arrest warrant affidavit. Nineteen calls were made to WWE offices on April 24, and a handful of calls were made in the following days.

Five calls were recorded on voicemail. On each one, a caller with a slight New York accent said he was upset with the departure of James, asking why she was fired, an affidavit states. The caller, believed to be Peygumbari, became agitated and used profanity to make threats against WWE and its employees. During one phone call, he threatening to kill an employee and his family, court documents state.

In one message, Peygumbari allegedly left the cell phone number he was calling from, giving "Steve" as a name. Police traced the number to Brooklyn, N.Y. The cell phone subscriber was a relative of Peygumbari's, court records show.

Peygumbari was charged with four counts of fourth-degree threatening, one count of second-degree harassment and two counts of second-degree threatening.

In March, Peygumbari was arrested in New York City on marijuana charges; he had a cell phone on him when he was taken into custody. That phone's number matched the number given to Stamford police by WWE officials and police applied for an arrest warrant charging Peygumbari in connection to the threatening phone calls.

"It's a testament to the WWE that they get people so psyched up in the story lines," Sherman said.

The charges against Peygumbari were filed a day before a car bomb almost exploded in Times Square in Manhattan.

WWE fan in hot water after death threats - Connecticut Post

He must be one hell of a fan if frickin' Mickie James prompted that response.

Honestly, the recent (i.e. last 10 years) batch of female "wrestlers" are all interchangeable. I can't tell one Playboy bunny from another.

He must be one hell of a fan if frickin' Mickie James prompted that response.

Honestly, the recent (i.e. last 10 years) batch of female "wrestlers" are all interchangeable. I can't tell one Playboy bunny from another.

Obviously, this person was nuts, but Mickie was NOT interchangeable. She was one of the better female wrestlers in the last 10 years. Up there with Victoria, Trish Stratus and Molly Holly. Yes, she has big fake boobs, but the girl can wrestle.

Ah, I'll be honest -- I don't pay attention to the women at all. My impression has been that the WWE is more interested in putting eye candy in the ring than pure talent.

C'mon! Where are the butt-ugly gals? The Fabulous Moolahs. The Sherri Martels. The Luna Vachons. The Chynas. All gone :sad:

Ah, I'll be honest -- I don't pay attention to the women at all. My impression has been that the WWE is more interested in putting eye candy in the ring than pure talent.

C'mon! Where are the butt-ugly gals? The Fabulous Moolahs. The Sherri Martels. The Luna Vachons. The Chynas. All gone :sad:

Well, its kind of a mixed back right now with WWE. They want women who are attractive but can also work. Mickie is a chick who can work. Beth Phoenix is another one. Gail Kim can also work, but her role is to make the other divas look good. Pretty much the role Victoria was filling before she left WWE. The women will always have at least two segments on most WWE shows, but the fans tune in mostly for the men, so that's the majority of the focus.

Wrestlers like Moolah and Sherri are (pardon the expression) a dying breed. Same thing with Luna. Chyna never had any talent and was viewed more as an attraction. Hence, her 9th Wonder of the World moniker. Once she started to look more like a female and less like a freak, the WWF let her go when her contract expired. That and HHH was now bangin Steph instead.

I suppose I've always been puzzled by the women's division. By the time I started watching the WWF as a kid, Wendi Richter was long gone, as was the women's division. Sherri was exclusively a manager at that point. They tried to kick start the women's championship again by giving the belt to Alundra Blaze/Medusa around '94, and it seemed like no one really cared at all (Actually, let me revise that statement: I'm absolutely sure that no one cared). The late 90's gave us Sable showing off the goods at every opportunity, Chyna fighting Jeff Jarrett, and Sunni/Tammy Sytch succeeding at being a random piece of scenery. I pretty much gave up at that point.

The pro wrestling world has lost another:

Lance McNaught (aka- Lance Cade and Garrison Cade) has passed away at the age of 29.

The cause of death is unknown right now, but sadly, he was released by WWE in October 2008 due to wellness issues.

I guess his most successful run in WWE was when he teamed with Trevor Murdoch and they captured the World Tag Team Championship.

Definitely a shame. Another wasted talent. :sad:

29?! That's insane.

The interview several years ago with McMahon always killed me, where he angrily said that he takes no responsibility whatsoever for the fact that many of his employees and former employees are dying young.

29?! That's insane.

The interview several years ago with McMahon always killed me, where he angrily said that he takes no responsibility whatsoever for the fact that many of his employees and former employees are dying young.

29 is definitely insane. In fairness to McMahon, WWE had tried to help Lance many times. Some people just can't be helped. It's not like he was the first and, sadly, he probably won't be the last. Most of the younger wrestlers who have died in the last few years were no longer working for Vince when they died. I would site Andrew "Test" Martin and Umaga as more recent examples of this.

Being a pro wrestler is definitely not an easy vocation. Especially with WWE's traveling schedule. The wrestlers get injured and they still must go out there and perform. They start taking pills to cope with the pain and/or sleeplessness. I could definitely understand people holding McMahon accountable, but in the end, it's still on the individual's shoulders.

Btw, Cade's cause of death was ruled heart failure.

Being a pro wrestler is definitely not an easy vocation. Especially with WWE's traveling schedule. The wrestlers get injured and they still must go out there and perform. They start taking pills to cope with the pain and/or sleeplessness. I could definitely understand people holding McMahon accountable, but in the end, it's still on the individual's shoulders.

Absolutely agreed. I think they think that bothered me most about McMahon's interview (I think it was from the same broadcast that eventually got Roddy Piper fired) was that he didn't seem to care at all and actually got quite pissed - almost violently so - when the topic was brought up.

Absolutely agreed. I think they think that bothered me most about McMahon's interview (I think it was from the same broadcast that eventually got Roddy Piper fired) was that he didn't seem to care at all and actually got quite pissed - almost violently so - when the topic was brought up.

Oh I remember that one. I believe it was from HBO's Real Sports. Vince looked like an idiot and a bully in that one. Piper did indeed get fired afterward as a result. Eventually, Piper did make it back to WWE, but Piper at the time felt Vince's demanding schedule helped lead some wrestlers to early graves. Gee maybe he was onto something? This interview was not one of Vince's better moments for sure.

LOL, I remember him slapping the interviewer's notes on the floor and making that hilarious scrunched up look on his face that is usually reserved for the Mr. McMahon character :lol:

LOL, I remember him slapping the interviewer's notes on the floor and making that hilarious scrunched up look on his face that is usually reserved for the Mr. McMahon character :lol:

Yeah, he didn't exactly generate good press for his organization.

I'll tell ya what's really fucked up: All of these wrestlers are dying and Scott Hall is still alive! He's like the Keith Richards of pro wrestling. Boggles the mind. :huh:

Wow I didn't even know there was a pro wrestling thread. I'm shocked. I used to be totally obsessed with all things WWF. I tried to get back into it recently but when I watched Raw and Smackdown the other day I had no idea who anyone was and didn't enjoy it.

The last event I went to live was WrestleMania in Anaheim when they had the 4-way match I think with HHH, Mankind, The Rock, and Big Show. Every wrestler had a McMahon in their corner. It was corny but awesome. I even went to the fan expo thing before and got my copy of Have A Nice Day signed by Mick Foley. After that though I slowly stopped watching, until I just couldn't stand people like John Cena and lost interest in the sport all together.

The last event I went to live was WrestleMania in Anaheim when they had the 4-way match I think with HHH, Mankind, The Rock, and Big Show. Every wrestler had a McMahon in their corner. It was corny but awesome. I even went to the fan expo thing before and got my copy of Have A Nice Day signed by Mick Foley. After that though I slowly stopped watching, until I just couldn't stand people like John Cena and lost interest in the sport all together.

That was WrestleMania 2000 or WrestleMania 16. HHH won that match to retain. He was the first heel to win a WWF Championship match at WrestleMania.

Yeah, pro wrestling sure has changed a lot since then. ECW died. WCW died. The WWF changed their name to WWE. Rock stuck with acting. Mick Foley retired and unretired. Now he's in TNA. HHH married Stephanie McMahon. Show is still with WWE.

Yeah, after 2000 I started losing interest myself. I remember watching in 2004 and having no idea who anyone was, and thinking that Cena looked like a Vanilla Ice parody.

WWE does try to hang on to established stars to some extent - Triple H, Undertaker, Edge, Christian, Matt Hardy, Chris Jericho and way past his prime Bret Hart are still on the roster. Shawn Michaels just retired a few months ago. I noticed there are a lot of kids of the wrestlers I grew up watching too - sons of Bob Orton, Ted Dibiase, Dusty Rhodes, Davy Boy Smith, Mike Rotunda, and Curt Hennig are all on WWE programming.

Yeah, after 2000 I started losing interest myself. I remember watching in 2004 and having no idea who anyone was, and thinking that Cena looked like a Vanilla Ice parody.

WWE does try to hang on to established stars to some extent - Triple H, Undertaker, Edge, Christian, Matt Hardy, Chris Jericho and way past his prime Bret Hart are still on the roster. Shawn Michaels just retired a few months ago. I noticed there are a lot of kids of the wrestlers I grew up watching too - sons of Bob Orton, Ted Dibiase, Dusty Rhodes, Davy Boy Smith, Mike Rotunda, and Curt Hennig are all on WWE programming.

Yeah, WWE has been pushing the second and third generation wrestlers the last couple of years which is good. Cena ditched the Vanilla Ice gimmick years ago when WWE pretty much made him the face of the company.

As far as Bret Hart is concerned, I'm glad that he's back with WWE after all of the years that he was gone. He doesn't really wrestle. He's more or less there to be a personality. You should be happy for him. He's drawing a nice paycheck while many former pro wrestlers his age are barely making ends meet.

Is pro wrestling as good as it was back in the 80's, 90's or even the early 2000's? Hell no! But, currently WWE has a better show then their closest competition which is TNA (Total Non-stop Action).

Some things change and some things stay the same. Tonight, WWE will be holding their 23rd Annual SummerSlam PPV.

As far as Bret Hart is concerned, I'm glad that he's back with WWE after all of the years that he was gone. He doesn't really wrestle. He's more or less there to be a personality. You should be happy for him. He's drawing a nice paycheck while many former pro wrestlers his age are barely making ends meet.

Yeah, I'm actually thrilled Hart came back, but he shouldn't be wrestling at all, lol.

I was planned to go to Wreslemania 27 next year in Atlanta. But due to the fact that I'll maxing out my vacation days for all the NA U2 shows next summer, I don't think I can go.:sad:

If anyone is going to Wrestlemania 27, don't forget to take some awesome pictures and post them here.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom