The LONG overdue MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jive, what do you think will happen with the fights this weekend? I don't know what to expect with Silva and Griffin. I'm more interested in that then the BJ Penn fight (who I've never been as big a fan of as many seem to be). While it'll be the best competition Silva's had in ages, part of me still thinks he'll probably kick Forrest's kiester. Forrest has certainly won a number of upsets though, so who knows what will happen. Sounded like Henderson really wanted a shot at Silva again too, so maybe guys are starting to feel like they finally have figured out Anderson's game and have his number. Who knows. Part of me wants to see him get beat for what a chump he's acted like in his last few fights, but the other part of me wants to see him look like he did in the old days and clown someone.

I think you're right about Silva vs Griffin. I cant see Forrest beating him. Hopefully he's able to bring out the old Silva for us though. Silva's my second favourite fighter to watch when he decides to actually fight. He's been getting so much shit from the fans and from Dana that theres no way he'll put on another boring performance. I'm gonna guess Silva by KO in Round 2..... Penn vs Florian doesnt excite me too much. I cant stand Penn. All the guy ever does is whine and make excuses when he loses. so I hope Florian kicks the snot out of him, but I doubt that'll happen. I'll guess Penn via Submission in Round 3, but i hope he falls on his head on the way out of the octagon.... Theres another fight on the card that should be pretty exciting. Neer vs Pellegrino. They're both exciting fighters and go right at it. I have no idea who will win, but I bet it gets Fight of the Night. I hope Pellegrino wins because his post fight interviews are usually entertaining. Also, Neer can be a bit of a dickhead sometimes.... Even though theres a lack of bit names, I think this might be a decent card, but It'll have trouble living up to the standard of UFC 100. oh, and I'm looking forward to seeing Amir Sadollah fight too. Seems like a really cool dude... Did you catch the UFC 101 preview thing they do on Spike TV? was it any good? I missed it this time

I forgot about the preview and missed it as well. I honestly had no clue who else was even on the card other than the two fights I'd previously mentioned... :reject:

Silva and Griffin will be interesting no matter what happens. I like both guys, so it'll just be cool to see what happens. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's not a Penn fan. One of my buddies from work was telling me he doesn't like him much either. I loved when GSP completely dominated him, that was fun to watch.

oh, I meant to post about this a few days back. Did you hear that Tito Ortiz is back in the UFC? I never thought that would happen. He was never one of my favourites, but was fun to hate. Looks like he'll be fighting old man Mark Coleman in his first fight back. Its interesting if nothing else. I doubt he'll make a run at the title

I didn't get to watch the fights last night, but I found a terrible quality video (looked like some guy was using his camera phone to record it off of a tv) of the Silva - Griffin fight on youtube earlier. What a let down, Forrest seriously looked terrible. Sure, Silva clocked him pretty good a few times, but the final "knock out punch" had absolutely nothing on it. With how he acted immediately after (got up and ran out of the stadium), it almost looked fishy to me even. Probably was legit, but just seemed really weird. I hope he comments on it all soon.

ya, it was a weird fight. I cant say i was surprised by the outcome, but to be able to knock a guy down with a punch like that is crazy! I thought it was a little strange that he ran out of the ring afterward too, but today I read that early in the fight, silva had dislocated griffin's jaw. As the fight went on, it got to the point where forrest couldnt even hear out of one of his ears. I'm sure it mustve messed with his equilibrium a little. Either way, I think it was probably just too painful and he'd had enough. They said he ran back stage to get medical attention. Silva is an animal though. I'm usually not one for cockiness, but I like Silva's showmanship in the ring.
And I wouldnt worry too much about missing the fights. For the most part, they were ho hum. I'm going to pm you a link. Also, if you get the Versus network, theres a pretty good WEC event on tonight

Its like he knew what punches were coming before Forrest even threw them. Unreal :ohmy:

silvagriffin2.gif

Look at the quickness of Silva's punches compared to Forrest's too

And apparently Forrest wasnt injured after all. Just didnt take the loss so well. I like him, so it kinda bothers me that he was such a sore loser. Then again, after being schooled and embarrassed the way he was, I'd probably run out of the arena too

I hope Forrest comes out and talks about the fight sometime soon, I want to hear what he has to say. Something about it seems so freaking weird.

Yeah, I read that on Yahoo yesterday. I don't think Silva will be nearly as dominant in this weight class, but it'll be interesting to see how he fares against a lot of the big names.

This is pretty sweet news. The UFC is going to be airing the preliminary bouts for UFC 103 on Spike TV leading up to the PPV. I really hope this is permanent and not a one off thing. I would think they only stand to increase the ppv buys by doing this.

Definitely Randy, but I think I'll be cheering for Thiago Silva. Its not that I dont like Jardine, in interviews he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I really like Thiago's style and I'd like to see him go far in the division. I also like the bad ass throat slash thing he does when he wins. Theres also the Marquardt/Maia fight that should be entertaining. I assume it'll wind up as a grappling fight, but they're two of the best, so hopefully there will be some nice back and forth jiu jitsu

I'd just hate for Couture to lose a bunch of fights at the end of his career like Chuck Liddell. Don't blame the guys for wanting to go out with some wins, but at some point you need to stop. Couture's pretty close to being my all time favorite MMA fighter, I get worried every time he fights lately.

hahahaha, boy was I wrong. I must say that this was a very surprising card. Not so much in who won or lost, but in how exciting it was! I wasnt particularly stoked about this one for some reason, but it was really enjoyable. Totally sucks that Randy lost :( but what a beast. The guy should've been finished at least three different times in the fight, but pulled through. I hope he can string together a few wins next to finish off his career. He looked awesome though. I cant believe how cut he was for fighting at heavyweight. I think hes still got some fights left

hahahaha, I did see that. It was one of the televised bouts. That man has brought shame upon all of us. It could've been worse though. It was kind of noisy in the bar and I swore that his moniker was Tim 'The Washing Machine' Hague

The new season of The Ultimate Fighter starts tonight. There's a 2 hour live UFC Fight Night before the premiere though, so make sure to tune in for that!

I'm excited, as my cable company finally added Spike to the list of HD channels, so I don't have to watch it in Standard Definition any longer.

Man, I'm super stoked as well. I thought it was Wednesday yesterday and I got all excited and put on spike tv. An hour later I realized that it was only Tuesday :( I'm pulling for Kimbo. On the preview, it seems like everyone is gunning for him. Check out the preview here. The trash talk between Rampage and Rashad is really funny

YouTube - Sneak a peek - The Ultimate Fighter® season premiere!

Yuck, that was a BLOODY first round on TUF. Pretty gross. Not really that interesting of a fight either. Rampage seems to suck at coaching, and made some weird choices too.

I was sorta hoping Nate Diaz would lose in his fight, his submission was great though. The first few fights in the Fight Night were pretty entertaining, back and for the the entire time.

Man, I had just finished a long ass day at work and hadnt slept for about 30 hours. I tried to watch the Fight Night but kept passing out. Same goes for TUF :( I'll have to find them online. Looking forward to the fights tonight though. I like Franklin. Seems like a classy guy. Prelims on Spike have been entertaining so far too

:laugh:

I watched the prelim fights on Saturday, but don't remember any of them well as I was switching back and forth with the BYU game. Our favorite MMA website hadn't uploaded any of the vids yesterday, so other than knowing Franklin got knocked out fast, I haven't seen what the fight was actually like. Did you see them?

Finally saw the Franklin - Belfort (spelling?) fight. What the hell was that? I'm not even sure what Rich went down from. Not exactly an impressive performance.

ya, I watched them at the bar, but I was super tired. The card started out really good, but the main bouts were kinda meh. Especially Franklin. I guess getting caught in the back of the head like that puts you on your ass. The same thing happened to Couture when he fought lesnar. I dunno, I hope the next one is more entertaining. Machida vs Shogun?

Not sure, I tried to find episodes online once too, and couldn't. Spike re-aired the first episode at least 5 times though (as it was all over my DVR), so I'd just keep watching Spike to catch it.

I don't want to give it away since you haven't seen this episode, but the next fight is going to be FANTASTIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom