The 2013-14 AFL Thread Coached By Paul Roos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
null_zps339e3836.jpg

I'm at the 3AW breakfast in the MCC Members.

Richo is the host. When he asked everyone to take their seats someone took a photo with the cup and he said, quite agitated, "mate, I told you to take your seat!"

He then announced to the room that BT had just arrived, saying he'd already been to three functions before this one, and BT yelled out "shut up Richo"

Holy shit, that's awesome on so many levels. (And I'm very confused by the sight of you in a suit.)

I'm just sitting in my office ostensibly preparing a tutorial and revising an article for publication, by which I mean I'm actually just listening to club songs on YouTube. Mainly the new and old Dockers songs. GIVE 'EM ALL THE MIGHTY FREOOOO HEEEEAAAAVE-HOOOO!

I really like the AFL Premiership Cup. It looks a trophy worth winning. Many I look at and don't get all that overwhelmed by (European football completions, but the AFL Premiership Cup is one I do like, second only to the World Cup.

A-League trophy is horrid, the toilet seat. There were far better alternatives put out there, including a World Cup-esque one.

Would be cool to have your hands on the trophy 30-odd hours prior to it being hoisted by the Captain and Coach of this year's premiership side! Good stuff!

Streets are starting to be closed down ahead of the Parade later today.

I'm seriously thinking of letting my last class out early so that I can bolt down into the city for the parade.

He then announced to the room that BT had just arrived, saying he'd already been to three functions before this one, and BT yelled out "shut up Richo"

I hope it was as brilliant as it sounded in my head. :laugh:

I'm happy that the Docker is based on Pavlich. I preferred Hawthorn's failed version from last season.

Although the Docker's hand is positioned quite questionably if you look from afar!

Atmosphere in the city today was great. Felt like there were more Freo fans than Hawks fans - huge cheer when Pav went past and when the Hawthorn team started approaching a big "FREO! FREO!" chant began. :lol:

And this is one of the stupidest, most over-the-top articles I've ever read: The game's turned ugly - and I wouldn't be Lyon. It's headlined on the Age's homepage right now as "Dockers win would be a disaster: Ross Lyon operates within rules, but against the spirit of the game" - come off it. I've been as much a critic of Lyon as anyone up until recently, but to suggest it's not footy or against the spirit of the game or is not exciting to watch is idiotic.

Yeah I replied to that article in objection. A load of crap.

He is pretty much advocating netball-like rules, which is not a good thing and will make the game less fun to play.

Haha you poor bastard, but I think your morning makes up for it!

Alright, time for tips, folks.

Hawthorn vs Fremantle in a close tussle - I'm going to say Freo get up a margin of 9 points at the end.

Hawks by 11-12, Breust first goal and Hodge Norm Smith would deliver me $477.50.

Gotta say though, with the exception of the 2010 replay, we've been pretty spoilt with the grand finals we've had since 07. 26, 12, draw, 38 (but was seven at three-quarter time) and 10 points, and all of them were sensational games. Then you also add 05-06 and we've had seven great games in nine. That's awesome. Hope tomorrow follows suit.

Especially after the 90s. There were some shellackings back then. Close Grand Finals were something mysterious as a kid growing up. 2005 was out of this world and boy oh boy wowee have we been spoilt since.

My tip. Hawthorn by 33... 100 to 67. They will be too poised tomorrow and will secure their 11th flag in the 3rd Quarter. Grant Birchall for the Norm Smith Medal.

We've had some pretty special finals series in general. I just want tomorrow to be close, really. Much as I'm barracking hard for Freo, I'll be happy with either team winning - and part of me really wants a draw just so we can enjoy one more week of footy. A Hawthorn blow-out would be boring; a Freo blow-out would at least really stun a whole lot of people but also wouldn't be half as entertaining as a nailbiter.

And here's a much better article from The Age today. Really enjoying the passion of Freo fans this week; you can tell what this means to them. Mock the anchor and the song but Freo's purple skin is thick

Gosh the anchor ceremony! I never saw any extended footage of it but what a pre-match ritual that would be to witness. So 90s.

I'd much prefer to watch that than any of the pre-match "entertainment" on the cards tomorrow.

Those posters are really sloppy (and I've been pretty happy with Knight's stuff so far), but they're not as bad as the one he made for a potential draw:

ma4l_zps738a2bd1.jpg

Yeah, he seriously went for the shitty anthropomorphised anchor. What what

Especially after the 90s. There were some shellackings back then. Close Grand Finals were something mysterious as a kid growing up. 2005 was out of this world and boy oh boy wowee have we been spoilt since.

No kidding. Despite the result, 2005 is still one of my favourite GFs because it finally showed what I always thought the last game of the season should be - tough, tight, exhausting. I'd grown up thinking those sort of games were reserved for preliminary finals.

Those posters are really sloppy (and I've been pretty happy with Knight's stuff so far), but they're not as bad as the one he made for a potential draw:

Yeah, he seriously went for the shitty anthropomorphised anchor. What what

No kidding. Despite the result, 2005 is still one of my favourite GFs because it finally showed what I always thought the last game of the season should be - tough, tight, exhausting. I'd grown up thinking those sort of games were reserved for preliminary finals.

I think the Hawks one is pretty shit but I like the Dockers one. Hard to take over from WEG. They should commission James Fosdike, who does heaps of comedians' art, for them. Or you :)

Anyway I'm at the soccer now. In Clayton Fucking South. It's cold, they charged me $3 even though I said I was covering the game for local media ("uhhh yeah you still gotta pay $6 buddy, all condescending), and there's just a bunch of old Croatian and Italian blokes yelling things I don't understand. Players and coaches willfully abuse each other. The refs have had about 15 death threats so far. Thankfully Avondale Heights (whose playing strip is emblazoned with La Porchetta Niddrie in times new roman) are up 1-0 and I only have to speak to their coach.

What a horrible sport.

Honestly, the draw poster is not great - seriously, the anthropomorphised anchor never really works - but I don't outright hate it. A description of it sounds worse than it actually is.

Also, worth noting Freo have history on their side at the moment. The last three expansion clubs to reach a grand final have all won on their first attempt - Adelaide, Brisbane, and Port.

Yeah I wouldn't have given a shit about the bid if it hadn't involved disruption to the AFL.

Back
Top Bottom