Shuttlecock XX: ((Show Spoiler))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people want to be a part of something important and bigger than they are. Celebrity deaths are a way to channel that need in a somewhat acceptable way, especially when they see others doing it.

Good point. At this point, like with other big celebrity deaths, I'm more interested in watching/reading the reactions and the mass hysteria. I find it fascinating. And also kind of like a train wreck, where I can't look away.

I think people want to be a part of something important and bigger than they are. Celebrity deaths are a way to channel that need in a somewhat acceptable way, especially when they see others doing it.

Yes, this, exactly.

Speaking of Buckley, I listened to Grace last weekend, and I liked it more than I have when I've listened to it in the past. I'm growing!

I think it's one thing to express the sentiments thoughtfully like you guys have done here, and quite another to continue to be a giant dick about it.

Yay on enjoying Grace more. It's funny, I was in Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and I had in my hands the latest Buckley anniversary-of-his-death release (I haven't bought any of other others) and I put it back remembering what you'd said about that whole thing. Ha. I just wanted to see some videos I hadn't seen before but then remembering what you said I was suddenly put off by the whole anniversary thing. I figured I can find them on youtube. And the fact that it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't bothered to look yet just goes to show I made the right decision in putting it back.

I just wanted to see some videos I hadn't seen before but then remembering what you said I was suddenly put off by the whole anniversary thing.

Heh - that's so funny, because usually when I think of Buckley now, I think "Hmm, joyfulgirl really loves him. Maybe I'm being too harsh."

I'm glad that thread finally got locked, too.

I didn't know that either, Cori. Pretty cool.

Speaking of The Simpsons, I can't believe Elfa didn't get the mathemagician reference.

ehhhh never mind.

I seriously need to not even turn on my computer for even a day. This is pretty much me right now - :crazy:

In reference to celebrity deaths, the one that still gets to me is George Carlin passing away about a year ago. He was one of a kind, and there won't be another like him. :sad:

Bo - your signature needs to be.... shortened. Or something :cracked:

Looks like I chose a good week to have a birthday and go away for a few days. :)

I'll chime in a little late and say I don't understand the huuuge outpourings of emotion over celebrity deaths, either. I can understand the "oh, that's too bad, he was a great entertainer" sentiments, but the whole need for extended eulogies and "where were you when xx died" is just a little alien to me.

I'm also quite glad to have been away and not had to keep my eye out on people being assholes in the thread. Though I have my ideas as to who a few of those assholes probably were.

Good point. At this point, like with other big celebrity deaths, I'm more interested in watching/reading the reactions and the mass hysteria. I find it fascinating. And also kind of like a train wreck, where I can't look away.

Indeed. Hell, this site's been a good microcosm for the whole deal, I think.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/us_world/Twitter-Spreads-Fake-Celebrity-Death-News.html

Internet gossips are also claiming that Matt Damon died in a plane crash or a car crash, depending on whom you ask.

They can try to claim they killed Matt Damon, but they can't take away my freedom.

I'm also quite glad to have been away and not had to keep my eye out on people being assholes in the thread. Though I have my ideas as to who a few of those assholes probably were.

I hate to post in this thread of shame, but I just had to laugh at the image you evoke here, with your avatar and everything, of you making that face and sticking your eye up to one of our gaping ass holes.

/repugnant

tongueincheek.jpg

Seriously, if you couldn't tell I was pulling your collective leg, you really haven't figured me out at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom