Random Music Talk XXI: Check Out This F@&!#%' Shouter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh come on. The officiating can be awful too much of the time, yes, but it's still a great league. I still find it great fun to watch, even if I do think the late 80s and 90s were a better time for it.
It's a shit league, and we have college basketball around to remind us of that constantly.

I love the NBA, always have.

Having your first exposure to the league be watching Michael fucking Jordan in his prime every night probably helped things.

You know what's great about Win Butler? No matter how I look on any given day, I can say to myself, "Well, at least I don't look like that idiot with the haircut."

You know what's great about Win Butler? He gives me a convenient transition into non-sports discussion.

I wonder if Win Butler has ever watched an NBA game. He seems like the kind of guy who would join a pick-up game and simply launch cinder-block threes at the backboard every time that he touched the ball.

You have still provided no specifics.
As to why I don't like the NBA?

I don't like the style of play it encourages. I don't like the finances. I don't like the rule changes. I don't like how the team aspect of basketball doesn't mean shit until the conference finals. I don't like how over half the league makes the playoffs. I hate the officiating in basically every way possible.

I love the NBA, always have.

Having your first exposure to the league be watching Michael fucking Jordan in his prime every night probably helped things.

You know, when I was an impressionable kid, Michael Jordan was everything. I had a Michael Jordan clock, framed posters, cards, a special edition watch, Air Jordan's. I mean, I had it all. The man was everything in the world to me.

And then he retired.

And suddenly I stopped watching basketball.

And I've never really returned. In fact, I've kind of discovered that I hate the sport. I just can't get a lot of pleasure out of a game where you can score 100 times. It's just not that impressive to me.

I'm beginning to come around a bit to college basketball, however.

I don't like how the team aspect of basketball doesn't mean shit until the conference finals.

The whole post is terrific, but this is the best part of all. LeBron could lead a group of Interferencers to the playoffs.

But we would inevitably lose to the Celtics or Lakers.

You know, when I was an impressionable kid, Michael Jordan was everything. I had a Michael Jordan clock, framed posters, cards, a special edition watch, Air Jordan's. I mean, I had it all. The man was everything in the world to me.

And then he retired.

And suddenly I stopped watching basketball.

And I've never really returned. In fact, I've kind of discovered that I hate the sport. I just can't get a lot of pleasure out of a game where you can score 100 times. It's just not that impressive to me.

I've never had that problem. I have the opposite problem with baseball, where you can literally play a whole game without anyone scoring. That's boring to me.

Try watching a Wisconsin Badgers basketball game. I've seen them struggle to score fifteen points in a half. Their footwork, however, is impeccable.

The whole post is terrific, but this is the best part of all. LeBron could lead a group of Interferencers to the playoffs.

But we would inevitably lose to the Celtics or Lakers.

The idea that there's no team basketball until the conference finals is silly, imo. Yes, there's more focus on 'stars' now, but there's still plenty of team basketball being played. Not everyone is the Heat. LeBron is a douche who doesn't yet understand the concept of team basketball, but not everyone is LeBron.

The Celtics, Thunder, Bulls, Hornets(what a surprise they are so far), even the Lakers, play team basketball, just to a name a few. And any team without a top 10 player that manages to have a decent record plays team basketball.

I'm just more impressed by a game where it takes defense to win as well as offense.

You think it doesn't take defense to win the in the NBA? Seriously? "Defense wins championships" is one of the most cliche lines in the whole history of the NBA. All-offense type teams rarely ever win.

That's literally the best possible response to IY's post.

I just thought it was really great that both of you subliminally(?) went in the Win Butler direction when basketball was brought up.

As an aside, is IY Iron Yuppie's nickname now? I'm sure IYS would appreciate such a minimalist take on his name.

I just caught this. I'm sure it doesn't change anything, but teams score 100 points all the time, but that's only actually scoring ~50 times. Scoring 100 times would mean 200+pt gams, which just don't happen. Just to clarify.

I just caught this. I'm sure it doesn't change anything, but teams score 100 points all the time, but that's only actually scoring ~50 times. Scoring 100 times would mean 200+pt gams, which just don't happen. Just to clarify.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are two teams in NBA games, each of which score about 100 points per game? That was what I was referring to.

Wow, Pitchfork has bestowed a 10 on Kayne's new album. I like the enthusiasm, but I also have a hard time believing that Pitchfork really knows anything about hip-hop.

U2 start.com | Expect Nothing But The Best

What the fuck is this shit? Someone posted this in a thread in EYKIW. Never seen this before. I like the title Pop and I like the album artwork, but some of this shit is really cool.

Especially this:

collector16_04.jpg

i'm really excited today because

lcdthis452-400x400.jpg
(on vinyl),
outkast~~~~_atliens~~_101b.jpg
binhhc.jpg

and
3-feet.jpg

arrived from America today :D

American football is the only team sport I can stand watching on a regular basis. Though CFL rules are better, the lack of teams and talent make it barely watchable
i've been meaning to ask a Canadian -- is ice hockey just bigger than the world in Canada? like is ice hockey the #1 sport and the others come a distant second? are the Canadian baseball/basketball/football leagues well supported/worth watching? does Canada have its own major ice hockey league or just teams in the NHL? does it bother Canadians that you don't have major success (to my knowledge) in the MLB & NBA?

and what do you watch during the summer? curling?

I can't stand watching more than a few innings of MLB games, honestly. It all seems pretty redundant and padded unnecessarily, so I watch the 1st and 2nd, then tune in at the end.
this. i'm in a pot-kettle-black situation, because i think baseball can be very boring (watched a Giants/Red Sox game when we were in San Fran, it went for 3.5 hours and i can't say i had a great time) and yet i absolutely LOVE cricket, which a lot of people find boring.

interesting fact for peef - Philadelphia have one of the oldest cricket teams in the world and were quite successful many moons ago.

Thank you. Worst run professional sport IMO, and that includes the NHL, which is on strike 95% of the time.
why is this?

I've never had that problem. I have the opposite problem with baseball, where you can literally play a whole game without anyone scoring. That's boring to me.
the reason i don't like soccer. i cannot commit to watching a game that goes for 90 minutes (potentially 120+) and could end in a scoreless draw.

Wow, Pitchfork has bestowed a 10 on Kayne's new album. I like the enthusiasm, but I also have a hard time believing that Pitchfork really knows anything about hip-hop.
where's that picture of five of the writers having drinks?

Man, that kills me about soccer. 2 of the 3 games I've been to ended in ties. I was crushed.

As for baseball. I don't know how on earth you could be bored AT a game. That's the real reason I'm such a fan of the sport, the live atmosphere. I know that right now I'm really low on baseball, but the Cubs just really crushed me this last season, and my two football teams (college and pro) are doing incredibly well this season, so I'm just more excited about football right now, but once the next MLB season rolls around, I'll immediately come right back around to my favorite sport.

Back
Top Bottom